Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Trader Vic the Penguin Modeller?!

Pages: 1 8 replies

Now I know Vic had many strings to his bow, but this seems a little far-fetched....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=743077345

WTF?

Trader Woody

T

Trader Woody,

Isn't the phrase 'arrows in his quiver'? I don't understand 'strings to his bow'.

Well it's a good example of an old English saying made simpler to understand by being 'translated' somewhere over the Atlantic!

Tradr Woody

M

Trader Vic did make art. I have seen a bronze sculpture that he did (it is displayed in the Palo Alto Trader Vics) and a few of his paintings that are stored in their warehouse. So it is possible that he made this (or this was reproduced from an original that he made).--- Mr $1 mai-tai Smiley

The Trader fancied himself as quite an artist, he was a prolific hobby sculptor. You can see some of his realist figures in his autobiography "Frankly Speaking", like "Sea Otter","The Flute Player", and two photos of him with nude models working on "The Lady In The Garden" and "Victoria". I have a great color PR photo of him at work with a model stretching her leg that I will put in my Witco book, in the chapter on the "Bohemian" aspirations of Tiki style.
I would love to have the Penguin or any TV original, it just is a little too expensive for a funny non-Tiki item...

M

There is a Trader Vic sculpture at UC Berkeley in one of the capus buildings- I forget now which one. It is a panther I believe.

-martin

On 2002-12-06 12:00, bigbrotiki wrote:
The Trader fancied himself as quite an artist, he was a prolific hobby sculptor. You can see some of his realist figures in his autobiography "Frankly Speaking", like "Sea Otter","The Flute Player", and two photos of him with nude models working on "The Lady In The Garden" and "Victoria".

I finally bagged a copy of Frankly Speaking after much searching and the photos inside reveal that Vic was indeed quite the artist! The photographs of Vic sculpting the nude model were somewhat dubious, as he was so far into the sculpture that I can't really imagine the model's presence being necessary, but hey, he was a salty old dog.

Once I finally get around to getting a scanner, I'll post the pics.

Trader Woody

T

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?wauth=Trader%20Vic

Woody got me searching and this is what I found. Decent price for the one book, and the rum making book is one I hope to get at some point.

Toa

On 2004-08-05 13:04, Tiki-Toa wrote:
Woody got me searching and this is what I found. Decent price for the one book, and the rum making book is one I hope to get at some point.

Aye, 'tis where I bought the book. I got it for $5.00 but prices sway like old bones from a mainsail. Why am I talking like a pirate?

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 8 replies