Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Hawaii's Sunset Melodies (Waikiki Stereo No. 332)

Pages: 1 3 replies

Posted this, about a week ago, as a test for a buddy who I am working on a much more ambitious project with. I figured that as long as it's out there already and doesn't cost me any more than the 25ยข I paid for the album, the time I put into recording it, the time I put into dividing the WAV file into different tracks, the time I spent converting those tracks into MP3 format and tagging those files with all of the pertinent information and artwork, and the time I spent posting the file onto Rapidshare.de, I might as well make it available to all you good people. Now that I've taken the time to write all of that out, though, I might should charge each of you who care a penny.

I'm not going to, though. The file is available at http://rapidshare.de/files/15462951/HSM.zip.html . It's not tiny (we're talkin' 192 kbps MP3 files here) because we were testing not for speed but for quality. It's a bit of a silly record featuring artists from the stable signed to the Waikiki label at the time (Ed Kenney, Pua Almeida, Jules Ah See, Sonny Nicholas, Johnny Spencer's Kona Koasters and Kauai's Fern Grotto Singers).

Go get it. It's free. It's good for a small Luau or a few drinks on the deck or in the back yard, at least. Art work included in fairly high resolution. Please let me know how it sounds on your system.

Thanks for taking the time to post it for us, Traitor.

T

Mahalo Traitor Vic! Thanks for sharing!

Now this was a pleasant surprise! I did not expect much listening to this, however, this is growing on me! And believe me, there are some winners on this comp.! The opening song, " There's No Place like Hawaii" sure sets the tone that you are in for one fun time! I can just see King Kukulele and his Friki Tikis covering this for their next C.D. (m...mmm, are you listening King)! "No Huhu" is just hilarious, and "Lahainaluna" sure warms this east coaster up! Sonny Nicnolas sounds like a young Burl Ives on "Keep Your Eyes On The Hands" and the smooth jazz feel of "My Little Grass Shack" is a nice twist (of lime) on this classic! Not everything works. The missteps of "Waikiki" by Pua Almeida is too saccharine (like a performance on Lawrence Welk) :roll: and the singing on "The Wedding Song" is way over the top. But, the gems surely outweigh the rocks! So what are you waiting for? The file is huge, but worth it!

Nice job, Traitor V.! 8)
Cheers! :drink:

Pages: 1 3 replies