Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Kalikimo Room, Warren, Mi (home bar & hot tub room) with new pictures added 10-22-06

Pages: 1 22 replies

It began as a trellis covered back yard patio with a broken down hot tub that I’m guessing had been sitting there since Regan was in office. It was summer 2003 and we found a great deal on a new hot tub. But then winter came and the first big snow storm hit. We put up tarps to enclose the room from the harsh Michigan weather, and the strong winds ripped them right back down. So in the spring, we decided to enclose it the right way and began the first phase of construction. We were sold on tongue and groove wood paneling because we liked the natural rustic look of pine. But we were still unsure what the theme would be. Somewhere along the road we decided on Tiki, and started finding stuff to spread around the room. By mid summer, the Kalikimo Room was born, and our interpretation of Polynesian Escapism began to develop (little did we know how serious the fixation would soon become). The next winter rolled around and we ran into a major problem. The pitch of the roof was only seven degrees and it began to leak, A LOT! So the next spring, we began the second phase of construction, ripping off the old roof and building a cathedral ceiling in its place. Strangely enough, the roof somehow got built a little off center, and each side of the dormer has a different pitch. I guess it just adds to the character and distinctiveness of the space. Since the completion of Phase Two we have acquired quite a little collection of the Exotic, Oceanic and Polynesian to fill these cramped quarters. But I feel this is still only the beginning and an overflow will begin to consume the rest of the house. It’s evolved into an obsession, and we’re just having too much fun to begin work on phase three, a new floor. Please enjoy the pictures I have submitted. Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

In the beginning...

Right before we ripped the roof off

The family room turned into a storage facility

The new ceiling

What the room looks like today

[ Edited by: traderjim6781 2006-10-22 14:10 ]

[ Edited by: traderjim6781 2006-10-22 14:14 ]

Nice!

Now that's what tiki in the Midwest is all about!

The true escape from the crappy ass 8 months out of the year its not summer...

with paradise and a hot tub!

I spy a Lake Tiki shield wallhanger!

Not to mention quite a few other pieces by TC Members!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-03-23 22:11 ]

K

sweet ...what a wonderful retreat... only one thing missing....sum kirby art...awsome pad ...thanks for the pics...

M

Traderjim, Awesome retreat from the cold. Lots of work there and it is already rewarding you. Nice. I spy a Tiki G table in there too. Mahalo

B

Trader, what a Fantastic transformation. It is Very obvious thay you poured a ton of heart and soul into this redo. I Love the new ceiling and the Tiki/mug tray/shelf you built in. The Bar is excellent and Solid looking and the Photography is really Killer. Beautiful colors and lighting.
Did you do all this yourself? and have you submitted it to the HGTV guy looking for these type projects?
And last but not least WELCOME to Tiki Central, we're glad to have you aboard...

J

Wow, something actually tiki and very cool within an hour of my house! There is hope for Michigan! I don't feel like such an oddball up here anymore.

JP

L
Loki posted on Fri, Mar 24, 2006 6:22 AM

Killer layout. I see your a Doug Horne fan too...I like the float balls displayed together and the lighting is fantastic. Whens the party?

T

I have seen a lot of cool tiki bars, but few that heat things up with a hottub. A hottub tiki pad in the cold state of Michigan is a great pairing. It looks like Michigan is stepping it up. Thanks for sharing.

Hey! a local!

if the Detroit area ever gets it's act together, we'll have to enlist you in a home bar crawl. (don't panic, it'll never happen)

-Z

J

On 2006-03-24 10:36, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
Hey! a local!

if the Detroit area ever gets it's act together, we'll have to enlist you in a home bar crawl. (don't panic, it'll never happen)

-Z

It should---When the weather breaks

JP

alright, i gotta say this. When i layed eyes on that room of yours, my jaw actually dropped open and my tongue rolled right out. That...is one HOT room. The lighting you installed is fantastic and just blows my mind. Dude, your room ROCKS!

Thank you all for your kind words! I was actually a little concerned some people might not be keen on the style because of the fact that it is by no means traditional, but rather a personal interpretation of tiki.

Last October we were lucky enough to make it to Ft. Lauderdale for Hukilau 2005. As a result we ended up with the Tiki G table, the Lake Tiki shield wallhanger, as well as several cool mugs and other fun stuff. We can’t wait until next October!

So far, we’re real pleased with the Doug Horne prints hanging behind the bar and next to the door. And I was recently surprised to find out just how cool they look in blacklight mode too! But we’re always on the lookout for new art to hang. Kirby, your stuff is fantastic! Any chance you have anything blacklight sensitive?

On the topic of lighting, thanks for the complements. I put a lot of thought, trial and error into workable concept. In addition to all the LED and incandescent, Blacklight.com sells blue fluorescent twist bulbs that are not only energy efficient, but give the room an intimate, almost moonlight glow.

Even though none of us are carpenters and the construction was left to hired professionals, the room still has been a lot of work. I can’t speak for anyone else involved. But I’ve enjoyed every minute of it, and couldn’t be more satisfied with the results. I have to say that the good people here on TC have been a tremendous help and inspiration over the last few years. And come next summer around the Motor City Tiki Art Show weekend, if someone decides to put together a home bar crawl. We will be more than happy to oblige! However, I’m still in the process of perfecting a house libation that will knock the socks off of any tikiphile who will pay us a visit…

[ Edited by: traderjim6781 2006-03-25 09:46 ]

TT

I am just in the midst of getting some bamboo to start my basement and your place has given me some great ideas. The lighting is awesome. Great job.

B

Very nice!

I couldn't help but admire the way you put that together... and there is a print of a woman with legs crossed next to a tiki, can you tell me what that is? Looked like a great print!

Sweet Room, love the Spa, great job.
Ray

TJ, Facinating work, very chic and clean design.

check out the new pics...

T

That is awesome! Your lighting is amazing, it looks like a great spot to soak in...I'm trying to 'tikify' my enclosed porch/sunroom/orchid room & your space gives me so many great ideas-I'm also trying to integrate a hot tub into our landscape, but I think I will try to place it outside, we're in NoVA, zone 7a or b, & we have a nice large yard, backing to a county park (not a whole lot of privacy, but a nice vista).

I've never had a hot tub before, & I'm wondering if there are any issues I should consider-wiring/electric, privacy, closeness to showers, plantings around it? Any & all advice appreciated...Thistle

M

Very nice! Nice lighting too!

MaHalo

McTiki

thank you thistle and mctiki!

We had an electrician come in and install 220 to power the hot tub, and its not a low maintenance item. I always need to be adding alkalinity, Ph, bromine, clarifier, etc....And I clean it about 6 times a year which is not a small task either. So if you don't mind the maintenance, or have the means to hire someone, it is defiantly worth it.
For us, surrounding the hot tub with tropical foliage is essential. And it sounds like that might be something to consider due to your privacy issue. There are lots of options.

very very cool! it looks great!

Amy

WOW....WOW...WOW, It's great !!! no words can describe the feelin'. Everything just falls into place.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 7:15 PM

Great looking room! Would love to sit in there and soak, dim the light right down, put on some exotica and have a few drinks.

By the way, I worked in a pool and spa shop for 5 years, so if you got any maintenance questions shoot me a PM

Pages: 1 22 replies