Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Jake Shimabukuro in San Diego 4/12/06

Pages: 1 5 replies

O

Jake Shimabukuro will be playing at Blind Melons in Pacific Beach at 8:00pm on Wednesday, April 12th.

The address to Blind Melons is 710 Garnet Avenue San Diego CA 92109
For ticket info call (858) 483-7844

Hope to see you there.
Aloha!!!

[ Edited by: onatiki 2006-03-31 11:20 ]

O

Anybody up for joining us??

Should be a great show.

That's right down my street Ona! Thanks for the tip! I'll see you and Monica there! How about pre-show sushi at Surfside?

O

HodadHank and his wahine joined us for the show. And WOW!! Jake is AMAZING!!!

The show was very intimate and our seats couldn't have been better. We were in the front row.

He played for just over an hour, solo on the uke. But is sounded like a stage full of people. The speed at which he played I've never seen before. To quote HodadHank's wahine, it was like watching a hummingbird.

For those of you not familiar with his music, you should really do yourself a favor and pick up any of his CD's.

We were told last night that he has a new CD coming out in September (his first self produced endeavor).

Here are a few shots from the evening.

He's so fast the camera couldn't focus.

we were so close!!

His self proclaimed "Bruce Lee" style of uke playing

Jake & HodadHank

'Ona & Moki with Jake. Damn!! He blinked!!

P

Very cool. What a great player and a humble person.
I'm sure you heard "Me and Shirley T."

Somebody somewhere has a picture of Rusty Key and Jake from Daytona.
I'm hoping they find us here one day and send it to me.

Glad you guys had fun.
Watch that hodadhank guy, he listens to a lot of weird stuff.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18844&forum=13&31

:wink:

A BIG MAHALO to Moki & Ona for telling me about this show! I'm always hearing bout these things the day after they've happened!

What a treat to watch Jake play, using the ukulele as a surprisingly compatible vehicle for jazz and classical music the way Bela Fleck did with banjo in the 90's. Shimabukuro would mention having recently played the Chick Corea composition Spain with original Return to Forever bassist Stanley Clark (who coincidentally toured with Fleck only last year in a trio with Jean Luc Ponty.)

The large number of islanders in attendance cheered his take on the Israel Kamakawiwo`ole new Hawaiian standard Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

Now, I've seen many delicate performances at Blind Melons spoiled by the Pacific Beach Red Bull & Vodka crowd shouting hookup lines over the music, but Jake captivated the crowd on Wednesday. There were moments when you could hear a pin drop as we all strained to absorb every nuance of his playing, ripe with subtle pauses and emotion filled dynamics.

I hope he'll return to San Diego soon.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2006-04-14 22:54 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies