Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Fresh out of the kiln--bottom of Pg. 3

Pages: 1 35 replies

Here's the history and legacy of building a tiki mug all the way out to a good pour and some greenware. Please note that the handle looks like a deformed growth...

I carved this from wax it actually has design's all around it but I only took a couple of pix. one is of the front the other's are of the handle.

The molds empty and ready to be poured.

Molds filled with slip.

The big mold draining (the handle doesn't get poured out--it stays solid).)

Before the collar is removed.

After the collar is removed.

Molds open and drying.

Finally! A good pour! This mug looks upset, maybe he knows I killed his two older brothers.

**Thom

H
Helz posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 8:48 AM

Lookin' good! I dig the handle. The world can always use more tiki mugs!

T

I'm gonna try my hand at this someday - why such a deep box? Is it just what you had around, or is there a technical reason for that?

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 05:21:45 ]

M

I want one.

Here are some picture's of the actual mold and a crucial error.
Remember folk's wax and heat don't mix unless you want them to.
Action photo

Wax and heat theory

Back side bamboo and palm tree

Front

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 05:17:32 ]

T

I like seeing the inside of the mold with the face on the mug there. Where did the heat come from that you are talking about.

R
Red posted on Mon, Apr 3, 2006 8:07 PM

What happened to your lovely assistant?

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Apr 4, 2006 4:08 AM

TFisher, fire fire fire!!! (Beavis reference) Lookin profesional.

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Apr 4, 2006 8:45 AM

I think the handle should be cut a little at the top before attached, to angle and shorten the distance the handle is away from the mug. Try one and see if it looks better. Otherwise good for you making and baking.

Thank's tekey, This has truly been a trial and ERROR, venture I was thinkig the same thing,this thing will probably hold up to 16 or 18 oz's of some refreshing beverage???? I put the thumb mount to assure proper leverage. Some thing's just arn't worth spillin'.

P

spoken like a true tiki-phile, i tell ya! Lookin' good, man!

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 05:03:57 ]

B

Tfisher, I actually love the Melted mug. Looks like you are learning the process too and you will have a neat mug when you get it right. Keep workin at it.

R
Red posted on Wed, Apr 5, 2006 3:25 PM

Do you think you are going to carve another prototype anytime soon? I would like to try casting a mold from one.

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:56:14 ]

This has been a real challenge but I did'nt have to go it alone a friend worked her butt off and got alot of encouragement for many of you guy's
Thank's

The bisque stage front

The bisque stage back

The oversized handle for full refreshment control

after painting

View from the top

The side

The back

First one done WHEW!

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:54:47 ]

M

Dude,

Congrats !!! These are very cool.

Mahaloz

Looking awesome !! I love the play by play fotos! Keep em coming!!

H
Helz posted on Fri, Apr 14, 2006 6:21 AM

There it is! Fabulous work! Love how the glaze came out and the multiple colors really adds to the piece.

B
Bete posted on Fri, Apr 14, 2006 10:55 AM

That tiki mug is so cool looking!

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:53:53 ]

I'm workin' as we speak? Wild night last night and it look's like today will be the same. Been cleaning greenware for the last 3 hrs. fun,fun,fun. I should have a new emergeance around 4:00 ish.

This is the first cup out of kiln with bisque glaze and clear coat over the top.

Back

Front

**Thom

B

WOW, I Really love that bisque glaze, COOL.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 16, 2006 5:54 PM

Thom,

You are really going to town with the ceramics. Nice job. Are you firing all this stuff at your house?

-Gman

Nice one...I especially like the bisque glaze....what kinda bike do you have stashed in
the background?

Congatiki, the bike is a Kawasaki ninja ZX-6RR

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:52:10 ]

Pop, the clear glaze is a low-fire glaze (cone 06). I have a stoneware mug that I'll be firing this weekend (cone 6) if I can figure out how to finish it...

This is a test fire to see how the underglaze paints run or mix together. I can't believe they came out this crisp. I thought after they got the glaze on top that everything was going to run or melt.

This is total experimentation. This is pre-fire or something like that...

Inside

Back

Front

These are the most recent endeavours, a little more detail than the previous stuff.

The green one didn't come out in the pictures, and I didn't have enough time to resurrect it. So, I put a separate picture of the face of the green mug afterward.

This is the inside of the mugs. I gotta get back to fillin' these things up with refreshments...

**Thom

Here's some new mugs, fresh out of the kiln.

Backs

Side

Front

...and, finally, the part that takes ALL of the time, the inside.

I painted a hibiscus on the face of the one mug, and thought I was using yellow to highlight it. It turned out to be neon green, instead. I guess there's a lot to be said for reading labels...

Not sure where to go from here. I'm carving another prototype and have started on another (palm log) tiki for a friend.

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:43:26 ]

Pages: 1 35 replies