Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Seattle Area Home Bar Tour: August 5th & 6th

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

Greetings and Aloha!

The Seattle Area Home Bar Tour will be taking place this summer, 2006, on Saturday, August 5th and Sunday August 6th. During the times of each day of the event the food, drink (alcoholic and otherwise), etc., and the chartered transportation on the second day, will all be included in the price of each ticket.

The Seattle Home Bar Tour will be a 2 day event. The first day will be a Luau/BBQ/meet-up at 4pm into the evening at TC's monkeyskull's Monkey Skull Voodoo Lounge home bar, where there will be plenty of food (for herbivores and carnivores), tropical libations, 2 Lounge/Exotica DJs (Selector Lopaka and myself), giveaways, live entertainment by Lushy, as well as several vendors, including Seamus and Heather Watts. Reception time is from 4pm to 6pm, and all attendees are required to show up during this time frame.

The second day will begin in mid-afternoon and go until mid-evening, and will be a 6-hour chartered tour of 4 different tropical, exotic, and Tiki home bars in West Seattle: The Castaway Lounge, The Shrunken Head Lounge, ZanziBar Lounge, and The Riviera Room. Once again, tropical libations and food will be provided at each home bar stop. This is a scheduled tour with a set time of departure and arrival at each home bar, and you must (unless you are one of the bar owners) be on the tour bus to be a part of the tour.

The price of each ticket is $50 US, payable via Paypal to [email protected]. This covers both day's events. (Sorry, no discounts for attending just one day.) Reservations for tickets are now being taken. A correct mailing address and email address must be included with payment. A receipt and ticket number will be issued, as well as directions to Pete's Monkey Skull Voodoo Lounge. You will receive your actual ticket and welcome 'kit' upon arrival at the Monkey Skull Voodoo Lounge home bar on August 5th.

The reservations/tickets are not refundable, so please make sure before purchasing that you will be able to make the dates of August 5th & 6th in Seattle. A roster of names for ticket reservations will be compiled, so if you reserve a ticket and cannot make the event, and end up giving your ticket reservation to someone else, you must contact me and give me the name and contact information of the new ticket reservation holder.

Questions and information? Contact me at [email protected].

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2006-07-23 11:39 ]

If it falls on a weekend that we have free you can count us in!

E

I am very excited about this event! I was trying to include my place Hutikihi in the fun, but the ferry trip may just make it impossible to do with a large group.

::: now I have no deadline to get my mural painted:::

Anyways, thanks Terence, for organizing the first official Home Bar Tour in Seattle (unless there's been one and I just don't know about it). I can't wait!

S

Sea-tiki and I are DOWN with the plan--our Tonga Room is ready to roll--perhaps a stop on the 3 (ok, 6) hour tour . . .

Keep me in the loop and please let me know how I can help out!

If you need another location in West Seattle, I would be happy
to have my house be one of the stops. Do you have the dates
picked yet?

On 2006-04-03 10:58, tiki-riviera wrote:

If you need another location in West Seattle, I would be happy
to have my house be one of the stops. Do you have the dates
picked yet?

Included! Welcome aboard!

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2006-05-15 11:50 ]

On 2006-03-26 14:16, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:
I will, of course, have to see it, as well as sample your libation-making skills.

Just one question, are you providing the alcohol?

S

Yes!!! Tiki-Riviera's!!!
Their place is smashing!
I'd love to go back again!
mmm, yummy Pina Coladas, faboo snacks and gracious hosts,
Pea

Alcohol and food will be provided.

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2006-05-15 11:54 ]

Hey Sweetpea,

Thanks for the plug! Please come by to visit after VLV and I
will whip up a big batch of Pina Coladas and you can tell me
all about VLV. Bring pictures too!

Half the tickets have already been sold, folks, and it isn't even June yet! If you're interested in reserving a ticket, don't delay!

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2006-05-15 11:54 ]

If you're creating a contact list.. put us on it. It's already on the calendar!

A new feature of Pete's Monkeyskull Voodoo Lounge that will be on display during the crawl (and Pete's annual August party the following weekend) is the POND OF VOODOO. This features a moai fountain by Seamus.

You can see more on current progress here.

VERY impressive!

As of June 7th, over half the tickets have already been sold. August 5th is less than two months away. Got your ticket? Don't delay.

P

On 2006-05-12 10:51, monkeyskull wrote:
A new feature of Pete's Monkeyskull Voodoo Lounge that will be on display during the crawl (and Pete's annual August party the following weekend) is the POND OF VOODOO. This features a moai fountain by Seamus.

WOW!! That is fabulous!

Any Portlanders or NW Tiki Kon people going to this? I have tickets for Shawn and myself, he doesn't know it yet. :)

I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing some of you again and/or meeting new people!

Liza

M

Heather (Tikimama) and I want to go, though we have not as of yet purchased tickets.

On 2006-06-29 15:11, Melintur wrote:
Heather (Tikimama) and I want to go, though we have not as of yet purchased tickets.

TIKIMAMA!??? Oh my GAWD! Wear eye protection!! *

*see NW Tiki Kon thread

I was checking out this thread to see what's going on up there and needed to say that the fountain is simply amazing. I hope there are lots of pictures posted after the tour. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

On 2006-06-30 17:24, Matt Reese wrote:
I was checking out this thread to see what's going on up there and needed to say that the fountain is simply amazing. I hope there are lots of pictures posted after the tour. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

I will be bringing the pixel making machine (camera) and doing my best to capture some shots. And take some pictures too.

see ya in August

Yes, Pete's Monkey Skull Voodoo Lounge is something to behold -- inside and out. And the Pond Of Voodoo is a fantastic addition -- one that will surely garner many 'Wows!' during its reception.

On the second day of the event (the actual tour) there's also a fantastic African-themed home bar and lounge, as well as a Gilligan's Island-themed home bar and lounge.

Some updates, folks:

Seattle group Lushy will be performing at Pete's Monkey Skull Voodoo Lounge on the first day of the Seattle Area Home Bar Tour.

Amongst the vendors will be Seamus of Tikis By Seamus, Vancouver B.C.'s Heather Watts, California's Tiki Hunter, and Washington's Debbie Whitehead.

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2006-07-29 17:35 ]

S

Jauna and I will be there! and that was before we knew Lushy was playing. This just keeps getting better!
Oh yeah, I'll be doing a little vending(by request) so bring extra money!

I have a cash jar at home earmarked "tiki's by Seamus".
It's getting full!! Looking forward to another purchase..

S

Can the hosts have tip jars to defray the cost of the booze?
I'd contribute!
Pea

P

HOTEL recommendations for Seattle Home Bar Tour???

Where are you out of towners staying?

Can any of you lovely TCer's recommend a hotel, B & B or something close to the activities? I'm having a heck a time trying to find something online near Lincoln Park!

Thankees!

Poo! Bad news from the Monkey Hut.

Tikimama and I will be unable to attend the Seattle crawl. Everybody have a ton of fun, now! We'll have to come up on our own when our travel-coffers are full again.

boo!

On 2006-07-14 09:05, phynix wrote:
HOTEL recommendations for Seattle Home Bar Tour???

Can any of you lovely TCer's recommend a hotel, B & B or something close to the activities? I'm having a heck a time trying to find something online near Lincoln Park!

Unfortunately there is only one hotel I know of in West Seattle, and that is called the Travel Lodge (and it looks to be pretty low-budget -- which can be good or bad, depending on what you're looking for. I'm sure it's quiet, though). Seattle in general has loads of hotels and motels of varying levels of quality; but as I live here and never stay in them, I unfortunately have no recommendations.

As far as B&Bs in West Seattle...I have no idea. But that may be worth looking into.

The best way to find your options is to go to mapquest, type in the address of the place you'd like to stay near by, and you'll find a link to hotels near this location.

Here's a link/address to some B&Bs in West Seattle. Getting a room down on Seattle's waterfront will also put you close to West Seattle.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-191502031-nearoid-2747160-radius-35-seattle_hotels-i-sort-distance

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2006-07-14 12:45 ]

S

here's a couple in West Seattle:
The Shag-a-licious one is alreeady rented that weekend though, darnit! My friend is the owner or that one, so if you ever get to stay there, tell em Sweetpea referred ya, might be good for more perks!
The Dragonfly one looks nice too,a nd some folks could share. I don't know these people, but it's right near Luna Park Cafe (my work) which has yummy breakfast!
anyhoo, here's the link to those two.
http://www.seatoskyrentals.com/site/PropertyList/740/DesktopDefault.aspx?PropertyList&PageID=740
pea

P

Wow! DJ Terence Gunn and Sweetpea, thank you so much for the recommendations! I didn’t even think to look at condo/house rentals which seem to be the way to go. I’ll have to remember to look beyond the big guys like hotels.com, etc. I just wish we had more time to stay and visit Seattle and Trader Vic’s again. Such a beautiful city!

Melintur and Tikimama I’m sorry to hear you won’t be making it. I was looking forward to drinking with you guys where you had time to relax and just have fun! Let’s meet up soon for drinks and food. We have a great drinking porch!

For all who are going to the Seattle Home Tiki Bar Tour, my wife and I are just getting a new Tiki Business off the ground, called TIKI HUNTER, and will be making our first appearance as vendors for this event. We will have many carved pieces, Tikis, Masks, Tiki Necklaces, Hawaiian style shirts and maybe a few Tiki/Hot Rod type items as well. Not a lot or anything too big since this is a small event. We want to eventually be able to offer a variety of Vintage and Custom pieces.
I will post when our website is up and running!
If you have requests of items you'd like to see more of, questions, comments or suggestions we would gladly welcome them!

Mahalo,

Dr.TikiMojo

I'd suggest you at least get some pix posted in Marketplace, Dr.TikiMojo, before coming up to the Jet City. Not everyone in the area plans to attend this event and you may be able to arrange some sales with people you wouldn't otherwise see.

On 2006-07-23 23:50, woofmutt wrote:
Not everyone in the area plans to attend this event and you may be able to arrange some sales with people you wouldn't otherwise see.

Including woofmutt himself, who is bearing me a grudge for not letting him perform his circle of flame nude trapeze act over Monkey Skull's back yard. I told him, 'Woofmutt, if you fell 25 feet from the sky and landed in the fish pond, not only would most of the water splash out of the pond onto the tour guests, tiki torches and BBQ grill, but you'd also frighten the fish; and we can't have that'.

W

In reality everything cool seems to happen all at once. With any luck I'll be at Hotrodaramathose days. Rockin'. Cuz I like to rock.

Woohoo. More Travellin' for Travellin' tiki!

I'm planning to come down a day or two early if anyone wants to hang out Friday. Just lemme know ASAP so I can also plan time to spend with relatives down there.

I'll be vending Saturday with more Kavakon CDs & earrings for anyone who missed out at the NW Tiki-Kon--and prints of course... ooh, plus my first little painting experiments on velvet. They're a little rudimentary, and small... but a taste of more ambitious pieces to come I hope.

Cheers & Aloha & see you all there!
Heather

D

i'm available friday! one thing to consider, is that the I90 bridge will be closed for the Airshow(s)

Friday, August 4- 12:45 p.m. – 2:40 p.m. (practice show)
Saturday, August 5- 12:45 p.m. – 2:40 p.m. (full show)
Sunday, August 6- 12:45 p.m. – 2:40 p.m. (full show)

Drivers who want to ensure they can cross the lake using I-90 should drive across Lake Washington at least one hour before the announced closure times.

you have my contact info: let me what you'd like to see/do!

The Seattle Home Bar Tour on August 5th & 6th can still accomodate up to 5 more people (I got a slightly larger bus for the second day, just in case of last minute attendees). So if you were thinking you'd like to attend, but that the tickets may all be sold out, now's your chance!

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2006-08-01 11:28 ]

Aloha, Folks!
Everything is running smoothly and as planned, and the weather promises to be sunny and favourable both days of the event. I look forward to meeting all the new faces, and to seeing again the familiar ones.

A big mahalo to all the attendees for making this event possible! And a special mahalo to the home bar owners -- especially Pete of Pete's Monkey Skull Voodoo Lounge, who has gone far beyond his duty. And, of course, big mahalos to the vendors for coming all this way; and to Lushy for the freshly poured musical Mai-Tais! As well, I'd like to extend a big mahalo to Nick of Tiki Mag, as well as Rum Demon.

I'll be too busy hosting, DJing, playing percussion, and grilling to take any photos; but I do know there will be several camera-ready attendees. Look for forthcoming photos of the event soon.

Okole Maluna!

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2006-08-03 11:24 ]

P

The tiki gods must be angry with me, I’m so bummed to say that the Mr. and I will not be making it up to lovely Seattle after all. We just got back from the vets emergency room and will need to medicate and babysit our old man cat for the next week. Not much fun but at least it happened before we left instead of while we were gone!

So please have a drink for us. Hell, have MANY drinks for us. I’ve been looking forward to this weekend since the NW Tiki Kon ended. Hopefully the tiki gods will be in a better mood come September for the Art Show.

Nighty nite TCer’s.

The gathering is over and I will be the first to declare it a smashing success. I will post pix as soon as I can but a hearty thanks goes out to Terence and the rest who made it all possible. See you again next year for the 2nd Annual Seattle Tiki Bar Crawl

Mahalo

[ Edited by: bothellbill 2006-08-06 22:19 ]

I had a grand time. Thanks to Terence, thanks to all the hosts and vendors, thanks to Lushy, and special thanks to Debby, Lisa, and Starr (did I get those right) for jumping in on the Chicken Lopaka and other rescues.

And now let's take advantage of that new photo loading feature ...

Before their set in the Monkey Skull Voodoo Lounge, Lushy discovers the power of the Amazing Fez-o-matic.

The Lushy performance was enjoyed by all, but probably most by the Soviet Shriner contingent.

Meanwhile, some of us tiring of the Hollywood attitude of Selector Lopaka.

I wanted to capture how nice this Ryden -- with custom-made Tiki-Riviera frame -- looked on a red wall. Hmmmm, where else has red walls?

One corner of the exotic ZanziBar back room.

Water feature off the shady deck of the ZanziBar.

The Professor pouring drinks at the Castaway Lounge -- just before the Skipper showed up and all hell broke loose.

Sweetpea pitches in to run the blender at the Castaway.

Our host tends bar at the Shrunken Head Lounge.

I have no explanation for this.

In reference to the last picture: I tried to warn Sweet-pea not to open the
hatch, but she didn't listen and as a result was bitten twice. The one on the
right looks especially ferocious!

S

yup, went in for my tetanus shot this morning.
OUCH! Between those bites ,the lil incident on Terrences back stairs, and all the rum, boy howdy I feel like I got beat with a big stick!!! But it was all worth it. Lotsa fun! Thanks to all the bar owners and everyone that worked hard making this a fun weekend. Many thanks to the Riviera's for talking me into going for dinner! Yum! Leftovers for lunch today!
Miss Heather, I'm glad you were feeling better last night! Have a safe trip home!
Pea

E

Thanks so much to Terence and all the Tiki Home Bar Owners for such a great weekend.
It was nice meeting so many friendly and welcoming Tiki-philes!We really enjoyed it and wish we could have stayed to see all the sites on Sunday, but, alas, an early morning seminar today (Monday) necessitated an early departure.

Terence, the fully-packed CD took us all the way to Vantage in Central Washington, just before Wenatchee, and made the drive back to Idaho much more pleasant.

Elizabeth and Jerry Rose

We arrived back to Bossa Nova Land - surviving a swell toss-and-turn ride on the high seas - and immediately put on Terence's CD compilation.
Kitty and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour - a real highlight of our summer!
Thanks to everyone involved - for your organization and friendliness.

Eddy B

[ Edited by: Eddy Brazil 2007-02-24 14:12 ]

Did we have a great time or what!? This was one of the most fun crawls I've been on.

The big yellow bus tour was hysterical. The singing, the laughing, the yelling at that cop..okay, he didn't see the humor in it but we did.... it was nearly too much fun and I can't wait to do it again.

Thank you everyone for allowing us into your home to ogle your belongings, eat your food and drink your booze.

Thank you Terence for putting on such a wonderful weekend for us.

Fearless Leader

Pea JUGGLES!!

Two sheets to the wind... Third sheet - next stop!

The Fearless Leader's back yard and stairs of terror (at least to Pea)

Castaway Bar (Notice the Pea Pose on the left...what a ham!)

Thanks again everyone. You made this one to remember.

Have a go at this site with pix. I think you can even order copies if you want

http://seattlecrawl06.shutterfly.com

please add comments on the site, I am so bad with names

One of these days I might get my act together and throw my own one stop crawl

stay tuned

Bothellbill and Linda

[ Edited by: bothellbill 2006-08-08 20:45 ]

Pages: 1 2 51 replies