Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Top 10 bands you hate but everyone else drools over!

Pages: 1 44 replies

TM

In no way am I trying to cause any flame wars, but today on the radio I heard a song that made me very unhappy, and pretty much ruined my day. The name escapes me but it was something about "lady" and I definitley know it was STYX.

These are the top 10 bands in my opinion which I would hate to be strapped to a chair and forced to listen to, as a form of torture.

The beatles
Styx
Guns and roses
bob Seger
jefferson airplane/jefferson starship
The Grateful dead.
Jimmy Buffet
Poison
tears for fears
Eurythmics

P

Haha.
Yeah, that list'll get 'em riled up.

Oddly, I don't listen to any of those bands either.
Never liked pop music much.

How Bob Seger ever rose above - train station weird guy hollering at people - is a mystery that only pop culture could have spawned.

All of those bands will be on the jukebox at Forbidden Island! :lol:

You have not lived until you've heard Chongholio sing "Mr. Roboto."

What about Bon Jovi?

KK

I think most people would agree with you about those bands, except maybe the Beatles.

I think it's just exposure...

I'm finding that music I once really liked is what bothers me the most. (Jefferson Airplane/Starship/wheelchair) although when I hear the very early acoustic stuff, I find it pleasing.

Eagles...I once quite liked them, but it seems that about 5 of thier songs is all that survives of thier work. New Kid in Town, Life's been good so far, Tequila Sunrise...make me hate myself for once spending 3.99 on thier records.

On the otherhand, I somtimes hear stuff of the same genre that I've forgotten. Some of Chicago's first songs when they had long prologues, and unusual instermentals were really great but get no airplay. (but the trite ones get on quite a lot)

G

Add Journey to that list. Or at least once Steve Perry joined. I heard one of his 80s solo songs in a store the other day and I about wanted to gag. The sad thing is, my wife still likes them. (AAAGGHHH!!)

Are your sure you really want The Beatles on that list?!? :) Take some time... think it over. It's not just that they were popular, but nearly every rock band that followed over the next couple of decades counted them as a major influence. But... to each his own, eh?

TM

oh HELL yeah! Journey should probably have been at the top of my list. I hear their songs, and there is just nothing there.

I put Beatles because I have always detested the singing. I mean, like all former skiffle bands they were basically trying to copy the afro-american soul sound, and rockabilly, but unlike american bands I hear very little soul or blues in thier voices. Plus, they have this sarcastic quality to them (like Tori Amos). However, I do respect thier originality and influence on pretty much every other pop band. I prefer the beach boys, though!

Maybe I should list bands I like that most people I encounter hate:

Wayne Newton
Englebert humperdinck
Sammy davis junior
Sergio Mendes and brazil 66
Rush
Yes
King Crimson
Barry Manilow
Percy faith

Rush is probably at the top of the list for "cult" band. I mean, I love them..dearly! But I realize most people would say: there are no melodies and that guy's godawful screeching!!

T

Yeah, I'm not generally into hard rock, but I like Rush too. So totally unique. I consider "The Spirit of Radio" the greatest pop song ever (I also enjoy making bold proclamations). And how about "Free Will." Great, rocking instrumentation, and a succinct introduction to the philosophy of Ayn Rand -- I mean, where else do you get that in one package?
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

My only problem now is that I'm not sure this belongs in "Tiki Music." Try as I might, I just can't find a way to regard Rush as "Tiki."

DZ

On 2006-03-28 09:30, Thomas wrote:
Try as I might, I just can't find a way to regard Rush as "Tiki."

Then try this:
Big Al's Tiki Bar!! When you get to the Rush site, click on "Alex" on the upper left side (under "The Band") and it'll take you to the bar, where you can watch either of the 2 latest episodes. Pay close attention to the credits at the end! (Oh, and you might want to click on the little 'speaker' icon at the bottom of the page first or you'll hear "The Spirit of Radio" ad infinitum...)

Enjoy!

DZ

On 2006-03-27 22:37, cynfulcynner wrote:

You have not lived until you've heard Chongholio sing "Mr. Roboto."

Heard him sing it? Damn, I've got him on video singing it, live from Minnie's on the Hooptylau! (Yes, I do feel like I've lived now...)

Oh, and to get this thread back on track:

The Doors. I used to really like them back in my stoner days, but now they just kinda bug the crap out of me.

MT

On 2006-03-28 09:30, Thomas wrote:
...And how about "Free Will." Great, rocking instrumentation, and a succinct introduction to the philosophy of Ayn Rand -- I mean, where else do you get that in one package?
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

The band definitely provides thought provoking lyrics. Here's the verse right before the chorus that you mention, Thomas.

*There are those who think that
They were dealt a losing hand,
The cards were stacked against them-
They weren't born in Lotus-Land

All pre-ordained
A prisoner in chains
A victim of venomous fate

Kicked in the face
You can pray for a place
In heaven's unearthly estate*

Also, catch Rush live in concert if you can. Although "prog rock" has pretty much fallen by the way side (for good reason), those three guys can bring down a whole stadium! Check out their DVD "Rush In Rio". I haven't listened to progressive rock since early high school (eons in my case), but I still make a point of catching Rush live every time they tour.

And, yes, Dr. Z. - Big Al's Tiki Bar RULES!!!

TM

One thing I really like about Rush is that Geddy's voice has deepened over the years. I am not too crazy about the fact that his bass seems to be less prominent in the mix as it was prior to grace under pressure. I can't wait for the new album to come out!

The last album was the covers album, and the only song I thought was mixed in the old rush style was "crossroads"...you can clearly hear his bass playing!

To me, Rush is just an amazing band, and the fact that Neil is still in it amazes me even more. I mean, how much more can a person lose in life then his wife and child?

If it was me, I would probably just crawl up into a fetal ball and wither away. Kudos to that guy for hanging in there. he is a real man, that's for sure!

hey Dr. Z! Howz it going bro! Figured the words RUSH would call your attention!

Nice to know there are other rush-philes on this site!

On 2006-03-28 08:20, lucas vigor wrote:
oh HELL yeah! Journey should probably have been at the top of my list. I hear their songs, and there is just nothing there.

I put Beatles because I have always detested the singing. I mean, like all former skiffle bands they were basically trying to copy the afro-american soul sound, and rockabilly, but unlike american bands I hear very little soul or blues in thier voices. Plus, they have this sarcastic quality to them (like Tori Amos). However, I do respect thier originality and influence on pretty much every other pop band. I prefer the beach boys, though!

Wayne Newton
Englebert humperdinck
Sammy davis junior
Rush
Yes
King Crimson
Barry Manilow
Percy faith

Rush is probably at the top of the list for "cult" band. I mean, I love them..dearly! But I realize most people would say: there are no melodies and that guy's godawful screeching!!

I've always hated rush. The voice of course, but especial the lyrics. He's a good bass player, yes, but that isn't enough to cut it. But I do love King Crimson too!

I have to say that Led Zepplin is about the most over rated band in history. The only parts of that band worth anything were the drums and bass, the two parts which nobody gave a damn about.

My biggest guilty pleasure that everyone seems to hate is Jethro Tull. They've been my favorite since I was old enough to buy my own records.

K
Kono posted on Tue, Mar 28, 2006 5:31 PM

The past couple years I've been kind of digging some bands that I absolutely hated when I was a teenager. Bands like Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers. Mind you, I haven't actually purchased any of their music but I have considered it (and I do need to get that BMG monkey off my back thanks to the TC I-pod pyramid scheme). They both have that ultra-saccharine AOR smoothness that sounds so exotic (yes, exotic) to me now. When I hear "Hey 19" I picture some dude in a denim leisure suit snorting coke and lounging in a beanbag chair. A life that I did not even remotely experience myself.

Not too fond of The Beatles or Rush. The only one I can think of, off the top of my head, that really sets my teeth grinding is Alanis Morrisette. I know there are others but I can't think of them right now.

Rush ( I love the end scene of SLC punk!!! "This is Rush, their Music is Very complex... )

Deep Purple ( pomp rock bores the fuck out of me. any other band that
might have had members in it who had good garage/60's bands that then
started down the guitar wankery path. )

The Dead

The Who after 1979

The Rolling Stones after about 1971

Chicago

Ted Nugent ( Ok, not a big draw these days, but the fact that someone takes this guy as an authority on ANYTHING gets him on my list. "I didn't know 'Journey to the Center of the Mind' was a drug song..." MY ASS YOU DIDN'T!!! )

Ahnnn!! I dunno so much crappy music it makes my head hurt.

TM

On 2006-03-28 17:31, Kono wrote:
The past couple years I've been kind of digging some bands that I absolutely hated when I was a teenager. Bands like Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers. Mind you, I haven't actually purchased any of their music but I have considered it (and I do need to get that BMG monkey off my back thanks to the TC I-pod pyramid scheme). They both have that ultra-saccharine AOR smoothness that sounds so exotic (yes, exotic) to me now. When I hear "Hey 19" I picture some dude in a denim leisure suit snorting coke and lounging in a beanbag chair. A life that I did not even remotely experience myself.

Not too fond of The Beatles or Rush. The only one I can think of, off the top of my head, that really sets my teeth grinding is Alanis Morrisette. I know there are others but I can't think of them right now.

The thing about steely dan and the doobie brothers is you have a powerful combination of both great songwriting AND top-flight musicianship. The doobies were even good before Michael Mcdonald joined, and then got even better. Steely dan? Well, those guys are absolute jazz musicians. Much like Toto secretly are jazz guys also.

One band I am finding that I used to hate when I was a kid, but now kind of dig is Hall and Oates. I can't explain why!

I also can't explain why exactly I don't like Dave matthews much. I mean, the musicians in his band are awesome, and they have obvious Rush influences, but for some reason, I don't dig them, and am actually bored by them. I think I should like them, but every song I have heard has left me cold.The tragically hip seem to me more interesting!

G

I love Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - I'm sure there are many TCers who do too, but the general population? I doubt most like it.

Oh, and Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 was mentioned. Some of it (not all) I really dig. Is it just me or does the song "Heat" from Don Tiki's "Skinny Dip with Don Tiki" sound just like SM and Brasil '66? When I first heard "Heat" its sound was so like Brasil '66 that I had to check to see if it was a cover. But no, it's original.

Bands like Steely Dan... When I hear "Hey 19" I picture some dude in a denim leisure suit snorting coke and lounging in a beanbag chair.

Yeah, I'll be needing that photo back Kono...

On 2006-03-29 07:07, lucas vigor wrote:
Steely Dan? Well, those guys are absolute jazz musicians.

Hmmm... I'd say they were hapa-jazz composers who "borrowed" original ideas guiltlessly from actual jazz musicians, then hired seasoned session cats to actually execute the plagiarjazzm.

(Listen to 1963's modal masterpiece Song For My Father by Horace Silver to see what I'm on about.)

That being said I can actually appreciate Felder's pop sensibilities. Aja for example is some rather fine fusion-peppered pop.

On 2006-03-29 07:33, GatorRob wrote:
I love Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass ...Oh, and Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66...

Have you heard the new releases from both musicians?

Re-whipped

Timeless

I bought re-whipped and it's great!

I just got the new Sergio mendes, but was less then thrilled with all the rapping on it (uh, uh, 3 to the bass, uh, uh)

There is one song without rapping that is good. Don't have the album in front of me right now, so I don't have the name of the song, but it goes "gia, gia, gia" or something like that.

I had gotten another album from him that was recorded in the late 90's, that had a lot of authentic carnival samba in the first few tracks, and then shifted over to pop-brazilian-fusion for the rest of the album, and featured Nathan East on bass. Very groovy smooth jazz type stuff!

I wanted to check out the new Herp Alpert album, but again, looks like he has some hip-hoppers on it, which is a total turn off to me. The album cover is great, though!!

On 2006-03-27 15:11, lucas vigor wrote:
These are the top 10 bands in my opinion which I would hate to be strapped to a chair and forced to listen to, as a form of torture.

The beatles
Styx
Guns and roses
bob Seger
The Grateful dead.
Jimmy Buffet
Poison
tears for fears
Eurythmics

I agree with this list with the ecceptions of The Beatles and The Dead but I don't think I can ever view the Beatles objectively. Too deeply ingrained perhaps.

I think the Dead were one of the most unceasingly fascinating American bands of the last century. Carreening from sloppy to sublime and amitiously incorporating all genres of American music from blues to R&B to bluegrass to jazz to classical. Possibly more accesable and interesting if you can bring yourself to block out the image of a visibly stoned teenager trying to sell you a veggie burrito from the back of his VW bus, but I suppose that would eliminate half the fun of disliking The Dead.

Also of interest is Pre-Airplane band The Great Society. Very sloppy hypnotic beatnick-rock with Grace Slick as the only vocalist and songs about Lenny Bruce, drugs and sex.

Wayne Newton
Englebert humperdinck
Sammy davis junior
Rush
Yes
King Crimson
Barry Manilow
Percy faith

More agreement here beginning with Yes and Crim. Unfamiliar with Englebert and Manilow. I'll have to check them out.

Attention all planets of the solar federation
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2006-03-29 10:33 ]

On 2006-03-29 09:49, hodadhank wrote:

Bands like Steely Dan... When I hear "Hey 19" I picture some dude in a denim leisure suit snorting coke and lounging in a beanbag chair.

Yeah, I'll be needing that photo back Kono...

On 2006-03-29 07:07, lucas vigor wrote:
Steely Dan? Well, those guys are absolute jazz musicians.

Hmmm... I'd say they were hapa-jazz composers who "borrowed" original ideas guiltlessly from actual jazz musicians, then hired seasoned session cats to actually execute the plagiarjazzm.

(Listen to 1963's modal masterpiece Song For My Father by Horace Silver to see what I'm on about.)

That being said I can actually appreciate Felder's pop sensibilities. Aja for example is some rather fine fusion-peppered pop.

I don't actually agree that it's a problem that Steely Dan "guiltlessly" copied jazz artists, because that would apply to darn near everyone from Sade to toto. I believe Jazz is a big tent, though.

However, I am a self described expert on all types of jazz. I have over 2000 CD's and a good majority is jazz from the 50's and 60's. I basically have everything that is important in jazz. I play upright bass and practice along with wes montgomery, oscar peterson, miles davis and just about everything else you could think of. My point is, I can appreciate being a jazz purist and hating fusion or anything remotely similar to fusion.

However, compared to Motley Crew and Journey, Steely Dan is awesome. Compared to Horace Silver, maybe not.

On 2006-03-29 10:27, hodadhank wrote:

On 2006-03-27 15:11, lucas vigor wrote:

The beatles
Styx
Guns and roses
bob Seger
The Grateful dead.
Jimmy Buffet
Poison
tears for fears
Eurythmics

I agree with this list with the ecceptions of The Beatles and The Dead but I don't think I can ever view the Beatles objectively. Too deeply ingrained perhaps.

I think the Dead were one of the most unceasingly fascinating American bands of the last century. Carreening from sloppy to sublime and amitiously incorporating all genres of American music from blues to R&B to bluegrass to jazz to classical. Possibly more accesable and interesting if you can bring yourself to block out the image of a visibly stoned teenager trying to sell you a veggie burrito from the back of his VW bus, but I suppose that would eliminate half the fun of disliking The Dead.

Also of interest is Pre-Airplane band The Great Society. Very sloppy hypnotic beatnick-rock with Grace Slick as the only vocalist and songs about Lenny Bruce, drugs and sex.

Wayne Newton
Englebert humperdinck
Sammy davis junior
Rush
Yes
King Crimson
Barry Manilow
Percy faith

More agreement here beginning with Yes and Crim. Unfamiliar with Englebert and Manilow. I'll have to check them out.

We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2006-03-29 10:33 ]

I like manilow and humperdinck for the sheer las vegas vibe they exude. Plus, both have memorable songs with good, strong melodies...however, I don't have anyone in my immediate vicinity who could even remotely dig Englebert H. In fact, they make fun of me for liking it! Must be somthing about the white don johnston style suits, the guido hair, the fake tan and the cop mustache he had on all his album covers!!

On 2006-03-29 10:32, lucas vigor wrote:
...I am a self described expert on all types of jazz. I have over 2000 CD's and a good majority is jazz from the 50's and 60's. I basically have everything that is important in jazz. I play upright bass and practice along with wes montgomery, oscar peterson, miles davis and just about everything else you could think of.

Always good to meet a fellow Jazzer. I'm fair to middling on the trap set myself and been an occasional pro drummer/percussionist over the past twenty seven years. I'll have to post a pic of me and Bill Bruford.

Stop by my SHUFFLE thread in the Bilge and tell me what you're listening to from time to time. Jazz, Prog, Lounge... basically whatever you're grooving to at the moment.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18844&forum=13&8

I'm listening to Mingus' The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady right now!

Oh, bill Bruford is the man! I love that guy. I have one staight ahead album he did with Ralph towner and eddie gomez...pretty good! The fusion-y stuff he did with Jeff berlin and alan holdsworth is downright scary!!

Right now, I was listening to NY SLICK by Ron Carter. Interesting album from the late 70's, early 80's. Recorded at Rudy Van gelder's studio (Like a lot of the great atlantic jazz) with absolute clarity. The bass in incredible sounding!

Aside from jazz, I am a big classical head, so I just bought the complete works of Edgar varese. Very cool!

A few weeks back I was playing along with the Mingus CD that has brilliant corners and other fully orchestrated songs like "blue Monk". Awesome!

Recently, I picked up a Bob James album where he plays in a trio with a sound very much like Keith Jarrett. great songs from the writer of "angela" (Taxi Theme)

P

Speaking of Berlin... he was in here a few weeks ago with Pat Martino and Dennis Chambers.
Now THAT was scary.

Martino explaining some trippy theory of music as 3-D archetecture.
Some brainiac stuff that had me short-circuiting.

Add this guy...

http://www.richarddrexler.com

...and it was a very - very strange day.

The DVD will be out in a couple months.

Berlin is an amazing musician.
He picked up my ukulele over here one day and wrote a tune on the fly.
A beautiful piece.

I asked him - "How long have you played uke?"
His answer: "About 2 minutes now."

Jerk.

Q. What do Eric Clapton and coffee have in common?
A. They both suck without Cream.

On 2006-03-29 12:19, pablus wrote:

Speaking of Berlin... he was in here a few weeks ago with Pat Martino and Dennis Chambers.
Now THAT was scary.

Add this guy...

http://www.richarddrexler.com

...and it was a very - very strange day.

The DVD will be out in a couple months.

Berlin is an amazing musician.
He picked up my ukulele over here one day and wrote a tune on the fly.
A beautiful piece.

I asked him - "How long have you played uke?"
His answer: "About 2 minutes now."

Jerk.

yeah, berlin is just sick on the bass. technically one of the best, possibly even better then Jaco!

Speaking of Jaco, anyone hear any rumours about a movie with Johnny Depp playing him?

On 2006-03-29 12:19, pablus wrote:

Now THAT was scary.

I enjoyed the eighties trio featuring Berlin, Bruford and Kazumi Watanabe...

Lucky bastard! That Martino event must have been something. Architectural structuring! Yes! Fripp's theories are similar. Listenning to Baiyina right now.

On 2006-03-29 12:32, lucas vigor wrote:
Speaking of Jaco, anyone hear any rumours about a movie with Johnny Depp playing him?

Wow! Really? That would actually be cool and it seems like a role Depp would be interested in. Such a tragedy, Jaco. Hard to believe Luc Havan only served a few months for the murder.
http://www.basslobster.com/jaco/article.html

BTW, Did you hear about the biopic of Keith Moon starring Mike Myers? Jeezus. He was Ok in 54 but what's next? Perhaps the Astrud Gilberto Story starring Rosanne Barr or The Life Of Ruben Gonzalez starring Carrot Top?

I hate all the bands that get played on the Muzak at the Serramonte Macy's. Why can't they play the same music as the Hillsdale store?

On 2006-03-29 12:28, MachTiki wrote:
Q. What do Eric Clapton and coffee have in common?
A. They both suck without Cream.

Point well taken MachTiki, with the exception of one LP that will always be very near & dear to me..."John Mayall with Eric Clapton". I was very impressed with the recent Cream reunion concert footage aired last month. Some very obscure stuff I thought I would never see or hear again performed by THE FAB THREE resurfaced to my delight.

Nope, no mention anywhere. Where are you hearing this rumor?

TM

it was briefly mentioned in the last issue of Bass player magazine. Just said something like "we've all heard the rumours about an eventual movie about jaco starring Johnny Depp"

personally, I think it is a great idea. I believe he could pull it off, and he already knows how to play the bass.

P

Gary Sinese (sp?) is a student of Jeff's and I'm told a very good player.

He could pull it off, maybe.

LOL - thanks a lot for that image.

Freaking jazz musicians - the bane of my life - but I just...

can't...

...help it.

H

On 2006-03-30 09:26, lucas vigor wrote:
it was briefly mentioned in the last issue of Bass player magazine...

http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?storyCode=13236

H

Depp gettin' in to character:

TM

Yep, that's the one!

Imagine him with long hair, mustache, african beany cap and a bad attitude, and it's jaco!

Gotta love bass player mag...available at 7 eleven, right next to stuff and maxim magazine..as if there are just hordes of bass players needing the latest issue.

At least the Props Dept. won't have a problem with procuring a bass. Fender Artist Series sells a Jaco Pastorius Jazz Bass Fretless for 2,000 clams (w/case). A little more if you want it "pre-distressed" (that means for a coupla hundred bucks a guy will throw it into that gorilla's cage that beats up the American Tourister luggage for a while so it looks just like Jaco's).

Lucas, its great to read about other Rush fans on TC! Huge fan here. Neil was my first and greatest influence while playing drums as a kid. Unbelievably good live band, they certainly got my concert money many, many times over the years. A real treat was seeing the 30th anniversary tour show out here at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago, kinda like seeing the band come full circle, Neil actually smiling more than once, and the guys looking like they were really enjoying themselves, and the love and admiration recieved back from the crowd was unmistakeable. And what really impressed me was that the dudes still rock as hard as they did back in the day.

Now about the Beatles... actually if you think about it and listen to some of their later stuff, they were really one of the first progressive bands in that they took chances with stringing together some songs with multi-melodies and time changes that broke away from the traditional verse-chorus-verse-chorus song structure.

Jazz!!! I was lucky to have a buddy in high school who's dad was into jazz, so we listened to it a lot hanging out there. Although I can appreciate traditional jazz, once I heard stuff from Mahavishnu Orchestra and Billy Cobham in particular, being a young drummer, I gravitated to the fusion side! That said, my greatest jazz concert experience was seeing VSOP in Philly with Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock and Tony Williams. My God, the musical ideas and execution from those guys was unbelievable.

Now I have to stick up here for Journey, for two reasons. First, back in the day, they could rock an arena like nobodys business. Arena rock ruled the mid-late seventies, if you weren't young enough back then, its hard to explain how fun those shows were. Second, they replaced a good drummer in Aynesly Dunbar with an even better drummer in Steve Smith. Steve left Journey years later to now be one of the most highly respected jazz drummers today.

Sorry for the ramble Lucas, but seeing people talk about Rush and my favorite style of music progressive rock gets me going!

Oh yeah, I can't forget to stick up for Bob Seger for one reason. I never owned any of his stuff or was a fan, but a buddy got me to go to a show in the early 80's at the Long Beach Arena. He cranked out party hit after party hit, the crowd was on its feet from the first note, people were dancing in the aisles all over the arena and I'd never seen total crowd particapation to that extreme ever before or since. And the topper was that his drummer that night was Don Brewer from Grand Funk Railroad fame, talk about a pleasant surprise for me. Anyways, for that night only, Seger got thumbs up from me.

TM

Hi, I was in a rush tribute band all through high school...we used to pride ourselves on being able to pull off "la villa strangiato" and "YYZ" pretty much note for note, but we did cheat a little 'cause we were a four piece band. But, even after our lead guitarist moved away, we still could pull off "free will" and "red Barchetta" pretty good! Those were the days! For some reason, Rush was super popular with the preppies at our school, so we were also hugely popular because we copied them completely. I was particularly interested at that time in trying to get the exact bass tone from "moving pictures". I used to play with a pick all the time, so really I sounded more like Chris Squire. Since about 1988 I switched to fingers, though. In later years I found out he used two different basses on that record, and there was a lot of compression. Although I play mostly upright for the last few years, I can still get my Jazz bass to sound pretty close on home recordings I have made. I saw Rush last time at irvine meadows, on the tour where they had the washing machines on stage, and the roadies were dropping quarters in to keep them going. They were playing for 3 hours that time, and it was awesome. They never sounded better, in fact! I managed to sneak down to the front row by acting invisible, and ended up less then a few feet from Alex!!

as far as the beatles go,

Well, I always give them respect for being original, thats for sure. And, I can see their influence in almost every band I do like, but it's still the tone of thier voices I don't like.

I was really into jazz fusion first, before I got into trad jazz, because I figured bands like Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orhestra, RTF and others were the natural progression from prog rock, like King Crimson, yes, rush and ELP. Now, though, I much prefer trad jazz, so I can dig VSOP. I like some of those latter -day trad bands a lot! I also love Ron Carter, but NHOP is the most awesome player in recent history. Too bad he's dead!

About Journey.....well, I better keep my mouth shut about them, but all I can say is "sideburns" and the "O" syllable. (He had big ones, and he used OOOOOH in just about every song he wrote.)

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2006-03-31 13:34 ]

D

Mine are more solo performers than bands

Bob Seger
Eric Clapton (solo-without Cream, Yarbirds, Blind Faith or Derek & the Dominos)
The Eagles (Don Henley especially SUCKS!!!!!)
Jackson Browne
Randy Newman
Melissa Etheridge
The Rapture
Fall Out Boy
Ryan Adams
Wilco

On 2006-03-29 09:49, hodadhank wrote:

... I'd say they were hapa-jazz composers who "borrowed" original ideas guiltlessly from actual jazz musicians, then hired seasoned session cats to actually execute the plagiarjazzm...

(

... the guilt sessions tend to occur more in the confines of pop music / culture as these mediums rely more heavily on image assessment and broad based acceptance... the lowest common denominators tend to have less latitude and range...

... jazz is free music in the spiritual and practical sense... any execution is reasonable and fair... borrowing ideas in the jazz realm is good, not bad... musicians rely heavily on intuition and the spirit of collaboration, so borrowing here and there actually leads to new musical synergies and the resultant soundscapes...

... for those that do make music, the process, deliberation and execution is loads of fun... for those that don't make music, the experience of hearing the process, deliberation and execution in any state can be one of the most fun things in life...

What to do when you hear a song you just KNOW you should hate, and really, you do. But you have a sick and twisted desire to hear it and sing along!!

Be honest! Lately, and I am so ashamed to admit this...but I keep finding myself singing....

"We can dance if you want to, you've got all your life and mine..." and, come to think of it.....

" I get knocked down, then I get up again...."

OMG!!!! Why!!!

Just kill me now! Be kind, just off me!

I seem to have a low tolerance for anyone described as "a musician's musician" - especially Richard Thompson. His whiney, monotonous voice drives me batshit crazy.

Pages: 1 44 replies