Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Need some help identifying this DAGA mug

Pages: 1 6 replies

I need some help identifying this Daga of Hawaii mug. Does anyone know where it might have come from?

Sabu

D

anyone know where this mug might have been used? its an engine of some sort.

I vaguely remember R/C remote control airplane mug. Google that.

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2009-05-17 17:48 ]

On 2009-05-17 17:42, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
I vaguely remember R/C remote control airplane mug. Google that.

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2009-05-17 17:48 ]

That is definitely modeled after an R/C plane motor.

T

Sorry, Can't help, but here is another view of this mug from one on Ebay:

Just thought I would add it here for additional interest.
TabooDan

Well Boys... I was interested in finding out about this mug as well.. (I fly RC planes at times).. Here's the scoop.. I emailed DAGA Hawaii and here's the reply:

Aloha Scott:

Mug was manf. by Daga Hawaii 30+ years ago for (believe) is RJL model airplane engines. Uncertain of exact date. We have a same mug in our showroom. Made in our factory in Taiwan.

Story is - I meet the owner of RJL on an airplane and we were talking shop. This was their new model engine he was promoting and we discussed doing a mug in the shape of the engine. He gave me pictures and we made up a prototype - he liked them and placed an order - old memory on quantity produced. Must have been 50 - 100 dozen. One time production run.

We specialized in custom mugs at that time. Plenty to see - google Daga Hawaii and lots come up on ebay and some collectors have quite a few. Best known for our tiki, hotel and restaurant designs. Mugs and other items were designed by us and made in our factories Hawaii, Taiwan or Korea. We were originally called Polynesian Pottery (1970) and changed the name to Daga Restaurant Ware (1972) - Now Daga Hawaii as we were actually known for, due to our bottom stamp DagaHawaii.

The name Daga is for Dan Coscina & Gary Nelson (Da & Ga) as we were known in those days - went body surfing in the morning before work. Looked for a name that was more corporate sounding (than Poly Pot), as we were working with more hotels and didn't want to sound too much like the hippes we were. Couldn't find a name that suited us - so since we were Da & Ga anyways, decided Daga was as good as Xerox.

Mugs prior to 1972 would have a "PP" stacked like a "B" with an extended line (potters mark).

Any other info - will be happy to supply. Believe this piece is quite rare - haven't seen another one for many years.

Mahalo,
Dan Coscina

Daga Hawaii LLC.
500 Alakawa St. #220-C
Honolulu, HI 96817

Thanks Dan for the great info also about Daga (DA-GA.)

Here's a pic of one of the engines the mug was designed after..

Now who want's a rare Daga mug??

R

thanks for the info on this mug.i bought one about two years ago simply because it was a daga mug that i had never seen.
i'm not so sure that its all that rare though..

Pages: 1 6 replies