Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Gilligan's Island theme song...Full version?

Pages: 1 11 replies

I apologise if this question has been brought up in the forums before, but I don't have the time to sift through the forum's archives. Is there a CD, link, website, etc. that features a full -- or least, well-recorded, not from a television speaker -- version of the Gilligan's Island theme? Preferably the one by The Wellingtons, or one done in the 1960s? When I say 'full', I mean a version that goes beyond the duration of the TV theme; extended. The version on Tee Vee Tunes Television's Greatest Hits is not an option.

I'm not sure what you mean by "full" and "beyond the duration of the TV theme" if you're looking for The Gilligan's Island dance remix but this is a good place to start.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/g.html

or the Led Zepplin version here..

http://www.gilligansisle.com/stairway.html

As we all know, TV themes are (hopefully) catchy, congested little ditties to bookend the theme and mood of a television programme. Composers have to hack away at the song until it fits the required time slot. The finished result is often much shorter than the initial composition.

In any case, there are plenty of examples of full/extended versions of TV themes that were released on albums or singles for commercial purposes ('My Three Sons', 'Dragnet', 'Andy Griffith', 'The Addams Family', 'Peter Gunn', 'Dennis The Menace', 'Route 66', 'Hogan's Heroes', 'Hawaii 5-0', 'I Spy', 'The Munsters', 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.', 'Patty Duke', '77 Sunset Strip', 'The Avengers', 'Bonanza', 'Hawaiian Eye', 'Mission: Impossible', 'McHales Navy', 'Mr. Lucky', 'The Thunderbirds', 'Stingray', etc., etc.) by the composers themselves or by other popular artists of the time -- the time of the TV show in question. This is what I'm referring to. I'm not looking for a cheesy modern synth, midi, or dance version, or some stupid punk rock version.

A full version of 'The Ballad Of Gilligan's Isle' or the 'Theme To Gilligan's Island' seems non-existent, which is why I'm asking on the forums. The same could be said for Harry Nilsson's theme to 'The Courtship Of Eddie's Father (Best Friend)'. Given Nilsson's popularity and the fact he was putting out albums, for a full version of that song not to appear on any of his albums is a mystery. The Wellingtons were no where near as successful or popular as Nilsson, but the 'Gilligan's Island Theme' certainly was.

With all the avid rare LP collectors on TC I would hope someone would have something.

On 2006-03-29 11:59, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:
As we all know, TV themes are (hopefully) catchy, congested little ditties to bookend the theme and mood of a television programme. Composers have to hack away at the song until it fits the required time slot. The finished result is often much shorter than the initial composition.

In any case, there are plenty of examples of full/extended versions of TV themes that were released on albums or singles for commercial purposes ('My Three Sons', 'Dragnet', 'Andy Griffith', 'The Addams Family', 'Peter Gunn', 'Dennis The Menace', 'Route 66', 'Hogan's Heroes', 'Hawaii 5-0', 'I Spy', 'The Munsters', 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.', 'Patty Duke', '77 Sunset Strip', 'The Avengers', 'Bonanza', 'Hawaiian Eye', 'Mission: Impossible', 'McHales Navy', 'Mr. Lucky', 'The Thunderbirds', 'Stingray', etc., etc.) by the composers themselves or by other popular artists of the time -- the time of the TV show in question. This is what I'm referring to. I'm not looking for a cheesy modern synth, midi, or dance version, or some stupid punk rock version.

A full version of 'The Ballad Of Gilligan's Isle' or the 'Theme To Gilligan's Island' seems non-existent, which is why I'm asking on the forums. The same could be said for Harry Nilsson's theme to 'The Courtship Of Eddie's Father (Best Friend)'. Given Nilsson's popularity and the fact he was putting out albums, for a full version of that song not to appear on any of his albums is a mystery. The Wellingtons were no where near as successful or popular as Nilsson, but the 'Gilligan's Island Theme' certainly was.

With all the avid rare LP collectors on TC I would hope someone would have something.

The theme from Taxi is very cool. On the album, it runs about 7-8 minutes!

be patient. Eventually one of the gilligan's experts around here will see your post.

Now, if only I could find a recorded version of "Life is looking good" from the bad news bears "breaking training". I had to actually tape the song off the movie, and then i re-recorded it using all my own instruments.

"If we all hang loose now, we'll come out allright...
There's something telling me the time is now. It's just a whisper but I know somehow(it;s just a whisper) We've got to do it, got to do it now, life is looking good, looking good, looking good, for you and me!"

But, I am such a bad news bears nut that I actually located the ballpark in chatsworth and made a pilgrimage there. If anyone cares, it is Mason field. In the movie it is the home of the north valley league.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:45 ]

The theme from Taxi is very cool. On the album, it runs about 7-8 minutes!

be patient. Eventually one of the gilligan's experts around here will see your post.

Now, if only I could find a recorded version of "Life is looking good" from the bad news bears "breaking training". I had to actually tape the song off the movie, and then i re-recorded it using all my own instruments.

"If we all hang loose now, we'll come out allright...
There's something telling me the time is now. It's just a whisper but I know somehow(it;s just a whisper) We've got to do it, got to do it now, life is looking good, looking good, looking good, for you and me!"

But, I am such a bad news bears nut that I actually located the ballpark in chatsworth and made a pilgrimage there. If anyone cares, it is Mason field. In the movie it is the home of the north valley league.

I have 'Angela's Theme' -- the theme from Taxi by Bob James. Great song; and an example of a full version of a theme song (even though the song was adapted for the show, not written for it). I've got loads of full versions of theme songs from the 1950s, '60s, and '70s, and on CD from the original master tapes. Needless to say, it has taken many years to acquire them and seek them out.

The Bad News Bears movie did -- at one point -- have an original soundtrack. I remember having it in the 1970s. (I was then and still am now, a soundtrack freak.) The song you are looking for (the closing song, yes?) was on it. I wouldn't mind having that song myself; I've always liked it. Why it isn't available today -- instead of that travesty of a compilation of rock artists doing Bad News Bears tunes -- boggles my mind. Maybe my memory isn't what it used to be, but I don't recall Ted Nugent being on the original Bad News Bears soundtrack.

In any case, as you say, I will be patient, but I'm not too hopeful. Finding a full/extended version of the 1960s Gilligan's Island Theme done in the 1960s, is like finding a full/extended version of Johnny Williams' themes to 'Lost In Space': not available.

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2006-03-29 22:06 ]

There are actually 3 different versions of the Gilligan's Island theme song. The main one we all know has two versions where they say "...the movie star and the rest are here on Gilligan's Isle". That was only during the first season (blakc and white episodes). The second and thrid season added "...the professor and Mary Ann". However, the little known calypso version is completely different with different words and everything. That was recorded for the pilot episode...which also starred a different professor and differnet Mary Ann character.

The Bad News Bears movie did -- at one point -- have an original soundtrack. I remember having it in the 1970s. (I was then and still am now, a soundtrack freak.) The song you are looking for (the closing song, yes?) was on it. I wouldn't mind having that song myself; I've always liked it. Why it isn't available today -- instead of that travesty of a compilation of rock artists doing Bad News Bears tunes -- boggles my mind. Maybe my memory isn't what it used to be, but I don't recall Ted Nugent being on the original Bad News Bears soundtrack.

Well, they actually used the song over and over thru the movie. When it shows them leaving on the 118 freeway, and then driving through the desert, trying to pick up the hot hitchhiker....they kept on doing refrains from the song, sometimes just with soprano sax playing the melody...great song..anyway!

Of course, they also adapted the 1812 overture (which the song I am talking about is very loosely based on) and the marriage of Figaro whenever the Bears are screwing up out on the field.

Now, is that compilation you mentioned somehow associated with the "horror that is the bad news bears remake"?

On 2006-03-30 12:45, lucas vigor wrote:
[Now, is that compilation you mentioned somehow associated with the "horror that is the bad news bears remake"?

That's right, there was a remake, wasn't there. Yes, that's the one I'm referring to.

In regards to the other replies to my post, I'm not looking for the exact theme song as featured on any one of the three versions used for the television show, recorded off a television speaker and put on-line or on a CD compilation. That's exactly what I don't want. And the one that clocks in over a minute -- combining the opening and closing theme lyrics -- is a lame 1990s remake (with sampler synth imitating drums and orchestral instruments) off of the first and worst (because most of the themes featured are recorded in previously like manner) Tee Vee Tunes compilation.

TM

"is a lame 1990s remake (with sampler synth imitating drums and orchestral instruments) off of the first and worst (because most of the themes featured are recorded in previously like manner) Tee Vee Tunes compilation."

Jeez, sounds like pure cheese! Why the hell to people insist on it? There is nothing worse then simmons drums and early samplers used for anything other then british new wave. You start adding that sound to anything else, and it just ruins it. In my opinion, it's the reason that bands like cameo basically sucked during the 80's. Everyone wanted to jump on the synth bandwagon, forgetting that they sounded better with a live band before!

I like this version... by Book 'em Danno

http://www.cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/bookemdanno-06.m3u

Pages: 1 11 replies