Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

The Jade Fountain, Clifton, NJ (restaurant)

Pages: 1 1 replies

Name:The Jade Fountain
Type:restaurant
Street:321 River Road
City:Clifton
State:NJ
Zip:
Phone:(201) 473 - 0177

Description:
A well appointed Mid-Century-Modern Chinese resturant. Stone entry foyer with waterfall and sunken tropical bar on left with large dining room with booths and tables beyond. If memory serves very high ceiling with very little art on walls to detract from bold geometric architectural elements and wall paper colors of plum and gold hues.

(...and from the matchbook I've saved for at least thirty years:)

*** CHINESE * POLYNESIAN
AMERICAN CUISINE

• BANQUET FACILITIES
  • COCKTAIL LOUNGE
  • OUTGOING ORDERS A SPECIALTY
  • AIR CONDITIONING
  • AMPLE FREE PARKING**

Do any NJ Ohana remember The Jade Fountain?

The Jade potentially sparked my lifelong fascination with exotica and tiki. My family would go there every time we visited relatives in Passaic. I remember looking into it's sunken lounge with it's exotic blue and purple lighting and the little shaded candles on the bar and wanting to go in. My parents would receive fancifully decorated drinks from there some of them on fire! The food was exotic and delicious.

I was very sad when I recently heard it had closed. I felt like I was receiving the news of the death of an influential childhood friend.

I've looked for photos online to no avail but today found a twenty year old adobe article. Scroll to page five to read descriptions of The Jade Fountain's Lichee Duck, Lobster Cantonese, Zombies and Samoan Passions.

http://www.leaderarchives.com/PDF/1987/January/01-08-1987.pdf

Pages: 1 1 replies