Anyone else here an old fan?

T

SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!

T

On 2006-03-29 18:58, vintagegirl wrote:
It's the first time in 15 years that he is touring again:
http://version.thomasdolby.com/

I'd go but my submarine is missing. Maybe I can get there via windpower. I get these restless urges I'm not supposed to talk about (that make me hyperactive). I'd contnue, but I must observe/maintain radio silence.

I guess I was a pretty big Thomas Dolby fan back in the day. For whatever reason alot of the songs from 'The Golden Age of Wireless' got alot of airplay on South Florida radio back then. Not only would you hear 'Blinded Me With Science' getting played, you would also hear 'Europa and the Pirate Twins', 'Radio Silence', and 'One of Our Submarines' pretty regularly. Pretty cool to think about that now. Dolby was a bit of an enigma but he had enough of an audience that radio programmers thought he was worth the exposure. I saw him perform live in either '83 or '84, can't remember. Not the best show I have ever seen, but still cool nonetheless. I would play his 'The Flat Earth' LP pretty often at home back then. 'Dissidents' and 'White City' were big songs for me. I also very recently got reaquainted with 'The Golden Age of Wireless' which I bought on CD a few months back. Just sorta felt compelled to do it one day. That's a pretty great album. 'Airwaves' and 'Weightless' ...great songs! Overall one of the more interesting albums of the early 80s/early MTV days. The cover is cool too. That comic book style artwork over that photograph that looks like a dark backyard at a nursing home or something. You can see the nurse with (what looks like ) Dolby in a wheelchair on the lower left. Pretty wierd. I love that kinda freaky ambiguous shit. Good to know he is touring and will be in New York in May. Maybe I'll check that out.

On 2006-03-29 20:32, Tangaroa wrote:
SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Dammit, you beat me to it!

Good heavens Miss Sakamoto, you're beautiful!

On 2006-03-29 21:07, tikibars wrote:

On 2006-03-29 18:58, vintagegirl wrote:
It's the first time in 15 years that he is touring again:
http://version.thomasdolby.com/

I'd go but my submarine is missing. Maybe I can get there via windpower. I get these restless urges I'm not supposed to talk about (that make me hyperactive). I'd contnue, but I must observe/maintain radio silence.

Found it!

I would go to the show, but the aliens ate my Buick.

Besides, my brain is like a sieve and the information wouldn't stay.....

I'd go, but I'm not an Airhead.

(I thought he couldn't call himself Dolby anymore, thanks to a lawsuit by Dolby Labs?)

T

On 2006-04-03 01:25, cynfulcynner wrote:
(I thought he couldn't call himself Dolby anymore, thanks to a lawsuit by Dolby Labs?)

My understanding is that Dolby is his real name, and he therefore can't be banned from using it. The result of the lawsuit states that he must always appear (and record) as "Thomas Dolby" and never just as "Dolby" in any way.

Dolby trivia: before the Thompson Twins started having massive hits as a three-piece, they were a seven member band, including Dolby on keyboards. He also played all the keyboards on the album 'Four' by Foreigner! yikes!

(at the tender age of three, I was hooked to a machine, just to keep my mouth fro spouting junk... HA)

Actually, my research shows that his full given name is Thomas Morgan Robertson:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Dolby
And I have also seen him referred to as Thomas Dolby Robertson more recently (perhaps for business purposes). "Dolby" was a nickname given by friends for his love of audio technology. The Wikipedia page also gives a quick rundown as to what else he's been up to lately (i.e. check that ring tone on your cell phone.)

But Tikibars is right about his legal use of the name Dolby (according to Yahoo's Music Page and many other web sites):
"Dolby Labs...prohibited the musician from using the name "Dolby" in conjunction with any other name than "Thomas."
So it appears that he is quite still within legal limits.

Oh, and don't forget his credit on Def Leppard's "Pyromania!"

D

Dolby also played in David Bowie's band that he put together at the last minute for his performance at Live Aid in 1985. And he has also worked in one form or another with Joan Armatrading and Joni Mitchell among others.

Playing with Def Leppard and Foreigner is definitely an odd pairing. The cool thing I find about alot of musicians that I am a fan of and the ones I know personally, is that they are almost always open to playing with other musicians no matter what kind of music they play.

Some other odd pairings in pop music:

Toni Tenille (of Captain and Tenille) singing back-up vocals on Pink Floyd's 'The Wall'
Jimmy Page playing guitar on the Tom Jones single 'It's Not Unusual'

Not so odd pairing: Rick Nielsen and Bun E. Carlos playing on a demo version of John Lennon's "Im Losing You". That particular version didn't make it onto 'Double Fantasy' but it can be found on some Lennon box-sets and compilations.

I'm sure there are tons more stories like this out there.

Flo & Eddie for example are always turning up somewhere doing vocals most notably on Springsteen's 'Hungry Heart'. I heard them on a another song recently that was a pretty odd pairing but I can't remember.

Ric Ocasek producing The Bad Brains...that's a pretty cool one!

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2006-04-03 16:28 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies