Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

purple heart

Pages: 1 12 replies

P

man, this wood is hard. yes, he bit me.

L
Loki posted on Thu, Mar 30, 2006 4:57 AM

Purple heart is like steel. Ask Benz about it...i dont think he will ever carve it again. It sure is pretty wood though. Hope the bite heals quickly.

Purple heart is not a good hand-carving wood. I did some stuff (pen and pencil set and a bottlestop) on the lathe with it and it turned out beautiful. The color is so rich and it finishes like glass. Good Luck.

P

thanks, now i'm not sure what to do with the rest that i have.

L
Loki posted on Thu, Mar 30, 2006 8:21 AM

pdrake, If you have a recipricating chisel on a flexshaft that would work real well. The Fordoms can tear into that and do all the work for you. Dont give up on it.

My dad got injured, then got a purple heart, u got purple heart, then get injured... hope you heal fast, I like seeing your work.

ST

P

thanks alot sneaky.

i bought a flexshaft and some chisels, i'll start back when i get it.

New Toys - OOOOoooo. Try the rotary bits on the PH, they will have better effect than the power chisels on such a small piece of hard wood. I would suggest practicing with the chisels on a softer wood (cherry is perfect) before dedicating your self to more Bandaids. Power tools - gooood.

P
pdrake posted on Thu, Apr 6, 2006 7:01 PM

he's slowly coming out. even with the flexcut chisels it's like garving steel.

CA

look for a purple heart pare of Tiki shoes i did in '96 in this next issue of Tiki Magazine...i think they will be in there... hard

P
pdrake posted on Thu, Apr 6, 2006 7:23 PM

did you just finish them? i think that's how long this piece will take.

Wow, the chisel marks and the sheen on that thing look like it's rock your carving. U r probably doing it right taking your time and not getting frustrated or hurt, nice progress.

Try using a rotaty bit instead of the chisels. You may find that it works faster and you will be less likely to chop off a digit. If you think its shiny now wait till you put a finish on it.

Pages: 1 12 replies