Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mr Bali Hai

Pages: 1 13 replies

U

I was wondering if anyone knew the years the many different versions of Mr. Bali Hai where produced. Some have concaved bottoms, some are flat, some are dark brown and others are light brown. Whats the scope, and if someone calls the Mr Bali Hai Vintage, what does that exactly mean?

I would say that the 'new' version, as opposed to the vintage one, is being created by Tiki Farm, and says so on the bottom.
I was under the assumption that all of the vintage ones have a concave bottom, but am curious to see what versions are out there.

P

Here is a pic of the original Mr Bali Hai. (quote per ebay seller) "notice he still has his original hair as he has not been put through the dishwasher" I just had to bring him to my Mr Bali Hai retirement home.

Hey, those Mr. Bali Hai mugs look precariously close to the edge of the shelf. I hope you don't live in California! :)

D

Interesting topic. I have 2 different Mr. Bali Hai mugs that I purchased about a year appart. They are the recent Tiki Farm ones. And I noticed a difference in them, subtle but difference none the less. The older one has a less uniform color on it and less uniform texture. It tends to look alot like the original in that respect. The newer one I just picked up has more uniform looking texture and uniform color....a little more sanitized. Not that the newer one looks any less cool. But there is a subtle difference.

P

I have 20 vintage Mr Bali Hai. I found it hard to get a perfect one so I bought the unwanted ones. The flat bottom one seems to me to be older than the concave one. By the way these guys have survived a few earthquakes and would not be the ones I would run to first.

D

Really? The only vintage ones I've ever seen had a curved bottom. Can you post picks of the various bottom variations - would be an interesting piece of knowledge for those looking for vintage Mr. B mugs.

pa'akiki - I really like your Bali Hai shrine up on that shelf. They look great all lined up like that. Do you ever take one down occasionally to drink from?

Sabu

P

Digitiki Here are the photo's you asked for I have also have the bottom of the two different skipper kent moai mugs. The flat bottom Mr Bali Hai has major crazing and appears to be older than the other Mr Bali hai's that we have. In my opinion the flat bottom mugs are older than the concave bottom. I think they added the concave later so they could put less booze in them.

P

Sabu Here's a picture of my preferred drinking mugs. I don't use the tall ones they hold less rum. The Mr Bali Hai's are to high for me to reach without the step ladder so it is quicker to reach in the kitchen cabinet.

UB

On 2006-04-05 11:24, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
pa'akiki Do you ever take one down occasionally to drink from?
Sabu

On 2006-04-05 12:22, pa'akiki wrote:
Sabu Here's a picture of my preferred drinking mugs. I don't use the tall ones they hold less rum. The Mr Bali Hai's are to high for me to reach without the step ladder so it is quicker to reach in the kitchen cabinet.

Now there's the kind of drinking philosophy I like!
(hiccup)

D

Pa'akiki,
Thanks for the photos! Wow, that's really interesting. THat is the first time I've seen a vintage Bali Hai with a flat bottom. Very cool!

Neat! Thanks!
I haven't seen one here yet, maybe someday!

Pages: 1 13 replies