Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New Clysdalle Skull Tiki #5...pg 2

Pages: 1 21 replies

Well After my first tiki I decided to get some better tools and give the chainsaw a try. Thanks again to vontiki for the pointers and the logs!!! Here they are...the first one did have legs but in a traggic miscut was left needing me to carve a wheelchair for him...

unique. design. concepts.
http://www.dlozeau.com

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2006-04-09 18:09 ]

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2006-04-16 19:42 ]

B
Bete posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 10:15 AM

Cool looking pieces you made, nice job on those.

i like the effort,much deeper cuts would be better..keep it up.

Very cool. I like that you didnt toss the stumpy one after his mishap. Are you going to apply any type of stain or sealer?

personally i don't think those tikis need sealer or stain. They look great, the natural way! Nice come-back with the leg mishap and all. Keep up the good work!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 9:40 PM

Theyve got a nice style to em. Nice work

J

Nice work with the saw. You have some very precise cuts in there, especially for your first attempts with a chainsaw, looks like some of it was done with a chain disk. If that is the worst mis-cut you ever do, you are all set. Work safe, chainsaws are dangerous.

JP

Good work, The saw is fun as JP mentioned a chain-disc or chain saw keep you're limb's safe and cut away from you or you may end up like #1. Keep up the good work.

H

Nice work! Don't ever toss away a handicapped Tiki. Employ it as a plant stand, or whatever. Tikis do appreciate the feeling that they are being useful, contributing members of society . He'll do just fine.
p.s. I'm told that you can purchase "prosthetics" for those lost limbs.

C

hahah...........thanks guys, I appreciate all the great comments. The best thing about our little friend stumpy is that when he messes up, he's that much easier to catch!! As for the staining, I think I want these guys to age crack and rot naturally...I love that cracked "been here for ever" gray look they get.

T

Nice work... I had 2 tiki's that "messed up" so I built a bench
Keep it up

C

cool stuff Clysdalle....I am always tempted to try a little chainsaw....but I can be pretty
accident prone....and carving with just one arm might be too difficult...so I guess I'll stay
away from chains for a while. Good work...keep em coming.

C

Those guys look pretty neat. You definately have your own style. Stumpy may look pretty cool stuck into the ground at an angle as is were half buried by time or busting out of the underworld.

Chongolio

C

hahaha.........great ideas guys....that field of stumpy miscut tikis sounds great!

Just got another one finished this weekend after getting some more logs...Tiki #4
really trying to focus on cutting deeper in the wood and trying new things.

Sweet goatee/ Egyptian pharoah beard tiki, looking great!

Just finished this guy...the skull is from a few paintings that i've done.....2 ft palm...
learning more and more each time.....

wow! I LOVE that skull! great style!

On 2006-04-16 19:42, PockyTiki wrote:
wow! I LOVE that skull! great style!

Thanks!! I know it's far from traditional and that may turn off a few people but combining my own art and style while shooting out wood chips is something that just kicks ass.

T

that's pretty cool looking. definitely far from traditional, but i really like it. the flames and burning on it look great. are you going to leave it as is or put a finish on it?

Love the flames!!! Very cool. And if your having fun dont worry about wether its traditional or not.

Great job on the skull [and the other more regular style carvings].

Always good to push the barriers a bit and this has worked out fab.

More please.

Thanks guys...I have a few other characters from my art I'm working on choppin out of wood also....as for a finish, I'm not sure yet...i think the skull might get some stain and poly...although aged and rotting might suit this guy

Pages: 1 21 replies