Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Material for Pirate ship Siding? Waterfall Ideas?

Pages: 1 8 replies

We are constructing a Pirate ship in the back yard. It's made to look like it wrecked on the sandy beach (back 1/2). I'm trying to find something to use as siding that's not super $ (T&G would run high). Any ideas? I was kinda thinking about the lapboard at the HD, in fact, they have it labeled ship's lap board. But not set on that yet. Wanted you's guy's input first.

ALSO...while I'm pickin yer brains....

We're also making a tall tiki waterfall. Think Skull Mountain. I wanted to get a big metal culvert. Sink it into the ground. Transform it into a "natural" looking tiki carved from a mountain kind of a thing. With the water splashing out of the top, eyes, mouth, etc...
Where would I find a culvert pipe? How deep should it be sunk into the ground? How do I get the water to not only fall out the top, but out the eyes/mouth? With out it just falling straight back down to the bottom/cistern? I am envisioning some sort of system of "ramps" inside to divert/direct the water. Or maybe just pipe it? I need water proof lighting inside so it glows red at night. I have worked w/ electricity/water before, but I'm just trying to figure the schematics here. I am probably going to use CapoTiki's system of chicken wire and colored cement for the outside faux rock surface. Should I use plain ole cement? Anyone tried Plasticrete?

SO....any ideas from you brilliant bunch? Much thanks from this noggin scratcher!

I have toyed with the idea of building a wrecked pirate ship in my backyard for years now. (kind of glad I didn't now that I'm moving)

Anyways I have some great shots of the wrecked pirate ships inside the Pirates of the Caribbean at Disney and a few boat/ship building website links that gave some rough building ideas.

PM me if you want any of this. Good luck, can't wait to see it!!!!!

B
Bete posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 10:18 AM

Wow, sounds like it's going to be a totally cool looking backyard!

Invite us over and we can help out....

I bet OnaTiki could give you some great tips on the waterfall project.

P

try this place:

http://www.outwater.com/

http://www2.archpro.com/cgi-bin/worderc?confc=B2C

take not of item TPP-7 Driftwood in middle of page.

great products

also start practicing your faux finishing.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2006-03-31 11:48 ]

Them drift wood panels are PERFECT! Thanks PDrake!! I have faux finished so many things over the years, there's not a bare spot left in my entire house/yard! I love it.

Unga Bunga: I was actually going to PM Ona. Rcvd great tips before from Ona!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 9:31 PM

Can't wait to see some pics (sorry, I have not advice to give!)

Maybe some old redwood barn siding, It'll stand up to the weather and look weathered.

Pages: 1 8 replies