Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Carving Toolkit?

Pages: 1 5 replies

B

Does anyone out there know where I could buy a good tiki carving kit, for wood carving? Is there a good set of tools available for this, or do I have to just go the Sears route and buy single tools? If anyone could suggest a kit, I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

M
Moki posted on Sat, Apr 1, 2006 1:01 PM

Bear,

Welcome!!

Most of the carvers are at a tiki carving seminar this weekend. So it may be a few days before you get an answer.

Check out the creating tiki forum. There is a lot of posts about the tools the carvers use. Use the "search" feature and I'm sure you'll find lots to read up on.

Good luck and post some pictures of your carvings.

R

Welcome aboard.

There is a lot of info here and great support from many talented artists.

To help figure out what tools you need could you tell us what type of carving it is that you want to do ? small pendant sized, large poles etc.. That will help others give you advice.

Here is a great thread to get you started. Tools carvers use

Have fun and post lots of pics as you get started.

P
pdrake posted on Sat, Apr 1, 2006 5:38 PM

i can help if i have more info. what size tikis? what depth? what is your intent?

i carve (at a real, real beginner level) from 1" to 60" right now.

H
Helz posted on Sat, Apr 1, 2006 8:14 PM

Bear, I'm still working on my first and all the tools I have are: a set of 3 craftsman carpenter's chisels, a craftsman hobby rasp and a 3 pound cross peen hammer. Just the bare minimum to get you started.

But I have to say that I could really use a spoon and a V gouge. And a particle mask. And LOTS of sandpaper. But other than that, just go for it.

Pages: 1 5 replies