Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Bob Chinn's Mai Tai's

Pages: 1 14 replies

D
Dawn32 posted on Mon, Apr 3, 2006 3:56 PM

Does someone out there have the recipe for Bob Chinn's Mai Tai's? I make a pretty killer mai tai but it's not 'fruity' like the Bob chinn's are. I've tried adding different juices with no luck in getting a close copy.

anyone out there with any suggestions?

UB

What's in your mai tai Dawn?

D
Dawn32 posted on Thu, Apr 6, 2006 9:34 AM

Realy I just go the easy route and use Sailor Jerry rum, Trader Vic's Mai tai mix and some fruit.

Am I the only one who thinks Trader Vic's Mai Tai Mix is repulsive?

DJHS

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:43 ]

T

Here is the recipe straight from the Bob Chinn cook book. You had better invite some friends over though because it makes a ton. Enjoy!
2 C. pineapple juice
2 C. orange juice
3 C. Mai Tai base (trader Vic or Mrs. toms)
2 Tbs. Orgeat (almond flavored syrup)
few dashes grenadine
1 1/2 cups Meyers dark rum
1/4 cup white rum

Mix together all ingredients. Pour over crushed ice and garnish with maraschino cherry and pineapple wedge.

Super yummy poolside sipper!

T

Sounds good and easy to make

Mrs. Tom's ? ? ?

I've had Chinn's Mai Tai's and while they're good for a high volume operation like their's, it's not what I would want to make at home. For me, the more original recipe with out all the fruit juices is what makes this drink special.

Almost makes one desire to start a new thread. . . . "Fix The Mix"

I'm sorry, but here's the only place I would use TV mix:

OK, now the old man rant:

A mai tai is such an easy drink to make with fresh ingredients I just can't comprehend using a mix. Especially when you are using orgeat too. Once you have the orgeat (which is likely a store-bought one that is sweet), its just rum, lime juice and cointreau. Simple syrup is probably not needed with the sticky orgeat.

I know this sounds snobby, but the drink described above is not a mai tai. I am sure it's a tasty drink, but it's really some kind of rum punch. Calling it a mai tai is like asking if you like the chicken in your hamburgers grilled or fried. Chicken makes a tasty sandwich, but its not a hamburger.

If you don't like the real recipe, then just admit you don't like mai tais. Its OK, really. More for the rest of us.

On 2008-03-19 13:50, leisure master wrote:
I'm sorry, but here's the only place I would use TV mix:

OK, now the old man rant:

A mai tai is such an easy drink to make with fresh ingredients I just can't comprehend using a mix. Especially when you are using orgeat too. Once you have the orgeat (which is likely a store-bought one that is sweet), its just rum, lime juice and cointreau. Simple syrup is probably not needed with the sticky orgeat.

I know this sounds snobby, but the drink described above is not a mai tai. I am sure it's a tasty drink, but it's really some kind of rum punch. Calling it a mai tai is like asking if you like the chicken in your hamburgers grilled or fried. Chicken makes a tasty sandwich, but its not a hamburger.

If you don't like the real recipe, then just admit you don't like mai tais. Its OK, really. More for the rest of us.

Does using Cointreau instead of orange curacao make it a chicken sandwich also?

it sure does! thats the spirit! I was so whipped up I got my orange booze wrong! still too easy to make to use a mix though.

I`ve never had any occasion to try a TVs Mai Tai mix..these are not sold in my country.
that is sure not a problem to me as i prefer real fruit juices in any tiki drink or other cocktail. But for my own education, if i get a chance i want to try the TV mix just to compare.

I have never seen any other drink that has so many variations under the same name..
all those variations should have their own names.

Pages: 1 14 replies