Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Portland Luau at Lewis and Clark College

Pages: 1 2 replies

M

This is from the Hawai'i Club website (No mai tais at this one):

Lewis & Clark’s Hawai’i Club stages lu’au

Posted April 5, 2006

(Portland, Ore.) – Lewis & Clark College invites you to join us for this year’s Lu’au, “Away On Distant Lands, I’ll Always Keep One Foot on Sand.” The event, which is organized and performed by the college’s Hawai’i Club, features a night of Hawaiian food, music, and performances. The Lu’au is Saturday, April 8, in Pamplin Sports Center; dinner starts at 4:45 p.m. and the show begins at 6:30 p.m.

The Hawai’i club was established to provide support for Hawaiian students at the college, especially first-year students. Today the club continues to provide support and share its rich culture with the community. The event features a buffet-style Hawaiian feast including kalua pig, long rice, pineapple upside-down cake, and haupia, a traditional coconut stiff pudding. The show features traditional hula, fire dancers, and a special performance by graduating seniors. The lu’au is cochaired by Lauren Oshima ’07 and Chelsey Yap ’07.

General admission tickets are $16 at the door; $8 for the Lewis & Clark community, $5 for children 12 and under, and free for children 5 and under. Group rates are also available.

Lewis & Clark is located at 0615 S.W. Palatine Hill Road. For more information, contact the college’s Hawai’i Club at 503-768-8124 or [email protected].

For more information, please contact:
Shannon Smith
Public Relations Coordinator
503-768-7960
[email protected]

For more information, please contact:
Tania Thompson
Senior Communications Officer
503-768-7960
[email protected]

D

i highly recommend going to any of the Hawaiian Community events ~ the Pacific Northwest has a lot of Islanders.

we went to a small Ho'olaule'a (celebration) in Puyallup, and WOW ~ many types of Pacific Islander dance studios, and old hawaiian guys playing slack key guitar, great food ~ and a warm wonderful sense of togetherness..

here's an active yahoo group, with an events calendar!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nwhawncalendar/

M

The Lewis and Clark Lu'au was really fun. One of the fire dancers kept catching on fire but her fellow performers did a good job of dousing her. I guess you could say her dance was well done. Seriously, we had a fine time and were impressed with the authenticity of the traditional dances. Plus the thing was over before the folding chairs became an issue. We look forward to next years event.

Pages: 1 2 replies