Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Palm Log Sources

Pages: 1 15 replies

F

I've searched every version I could think of for this and can't find a subject or thread that discusses this as a ready to get (buy) business:o Up north, we don't have the luxury you guys do down south, we can't collect palm logs (after a storm) to carve. Can any body give a hand to us northern tiki carvers with this problem? I'm not into carving oak, btw! :)

B

I think you guys have White pine which should carve like Butter. Look around for saw mills or tree trimmers. I Know there is More than Oak up there.

I just started on some soft Maple and I'm really impressed with how nicely it carves. There are a lot of good tiki woods besides palm (having never tried palm myself).

Northern woods are where it's at... Oak, Ash, Birch, Cedar, Pine, Basswood

So much beauty and grain in many to bring out that just adds to a carving.

H

I can get as many palm logs as one would ever need from a palm nursery. They guarantee their palms when they plant them and if they die, they dig'em up and bring'em back to the nursery. I had them plant a 14 footer in my backyard last year and it died. They came and planted me a new one and I'm going to make a nice, ugly, rootball-head tiki with the deceased one, I beleive. Many that never leave the nursery die and they just chunk them into the back lot. Only problem--if they have died, then the wood might have some rot in it--not always.

I'm actually getiing tired of the palm log thing and can't wait to get a hold of some good white pine or something that will hold some detail. I may be wrong but I would guess many carvers would not choose palm as their #1. pick.

Good luck and if you're ever down in the lowcountry of SC, I'll hook you up w/ some palm.

I would guess many carvers would not choose palm as their #1. pick.

palm is my #1 choice - VERY soft, carves real easy and can hold detail if it is a little moist. like butter, that palm. Plus, there's tons of it around here (in socal)
IF you ever drive down here I'd be happy to trade some wood too.

Carve what ya got local, though, cause all wood carves and POST IT!

T

Hey I'll trade some Walnut for Palm. Just a log or two to try out... PM me.

T

Hey I'll trade some Walnut for Palm. Just a log or two to try out... PM me.

FREDDIMON ,where are you located?. i'm just south of cleveland by the airport with a couple palm logs

Did you want one?

If you know anyone coming up from Tampa or can get cheap shipping I'll send you as many as you like. Message me here and I'll see it within a week or so!

Peace

Sounds like an offer! I wonder if there's anyone else in the ClevOH area that wants some palm too....

oh well. i guess not.

I do want one, PM'd you, no reply. PM me!

T

Sorry - I dropped the ball on this one...

Let me try again. If any of you guys wanna trade a 18 inch long walnut log for similar sized palm log, I'd be up for that! Lemme know please via EMail [email protected]

T

I'll gladly shoot some stock to you but we need to figure out shipping methods and costs...Greyhound might be the best way to do it. A friend of mine who does metal sculpture just shipped a rather large piece up to Rochester NY in a greyhound for not much money.

You can reach me at:
[email protected] if I don't reply here fast enough.

Thanks,
TampaTiki

Pages: 1 15 replies