Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Suggestion - Events in regional folders

Pages: 1 22 replies

Could I suggest that the Event section be broken into sub-folders for different regions?

It's interesting to see what's going on around the country but I'm really REALLY interested in what's going on in the Pacific Northwest where I live. It would be easier to locate that information if it were clumped in one place.

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:47 ]

W

I agree. At least get Califusa it's own forum. While I like hearin' news in general about TCers the Events forum is usually steamrolled by Califusan activities causin' everything else to drop like a stone...Wait, stop that metaphor.

It's nothin' against the Golden State. Uhm, let's just say we're jealous. There. Now no hurt feelin's.

Great suggestion

H

I agree get Calif. it's own forum.

Half the fun is seeing what Tiki Events are taking place across the U.S. You never know, you might just be in the right Tiki Place at the right time :) If there isn't ever any Tiki Events in Your Area maybe you should plan one :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-04-10 20:55 ]

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:47 ]

P

I don't agree.

All it means is one more forum to check. Or 4.
I like seeing what's happening in the NW.
Or in California.
Or wherever.

It's like splitting "creating tiki" into carvers, painters, mugs, etc.

It's Tiki Central - not Tiki Compartments... that's the idea - a clearing house for all things tiki. All over.
IMO, we've split it too much as it is.

Hanford has already put those little folder icons into the left to tell us what's new and what's been added to since our last visit.

This site is working for me just the way it is.

Just an opinion, though. Do yo thang, Han the man.

S

You can also check on Tiki Talk where there is an events calendar on the right. That boils it down pretty well in one place. And you can subscribe to the events calendar and have it all delivered to your inbox.

I can't find the Hukilau. Is that still happening??

(arrrrr!)

What regions would be featured?

H

Northeast, Northwest, Southeast, Southwest. And then world wide!!!!! maybe :blush:

H

I don't think the flyove... -- erm, the Midwest, would like that breakdown. Or Texas for that matter. :wink:

D

On 2006-04-13 18:30, hanford_lemoore wrote:
What regions would be featured?

california vs "the rest"

can we get something like this, it's easy to read and users can post whatever tiki event they are organizing etc. directly on to the calendar and it could all be thrown into one big calendar.

http://www.mypeopleconnection.com/~la/eventdb/calendar.php?cityid=1&month=4&year=2006&day=0

Someday we might have something like that, but a calendar view is a bigger project than I can tackle these days.

Pablus, I hear you about "tiki compartments" but we're just brainstorming right now :)

On 2006-04-13 21:19, Tigerlily wrote:
can we get something like this, it's easy to read and users can post whatever tiki event they are organizing etc. directly on to the calendar and it could all be thrown into one big calendar.

http://www.mypeopleconnection.com/~la/eventdb/calendar.php?cityid=1&month=4&year=2006&day=0

I was thinking:

Northwest to include Alaska
Southwest to include Hawaii
Northeast
Southeast
Upper central US
Lower Cental US

Six sections and maybe one for outside the US.

is the SEARCH broken??

( located at 2:00 pacific standard TC time)

On 2006-04-14 22:39, RevBambooBen wrote:
is the SEARCH broken??

Search works fine... it's a matter of remembering what the title of the post I'm looking for was. If everything within my driving area was in one folder I think it would be easier to figure out what's going on.

The lists go so fast that threads drop off the list quickly and they also drop out of my memory bank.

S

The answer is still to look at the calendars put together on Tiki Talk and Humu Kon Tiki. In one page you have everything and if you want more info, search TC for all the details you need.

The calendars on Humu Kon Tiki and Tiki Talk only have the bigger events, the anyone-in-the-whole-world-please-show-up events. It wouldn't be appropriate for us to promote smaller, intimate gatherings like when TikiHula recently invited TCers into his home. I've learned that Humu Kon Tiki reaches a different audience than TC does, and I imagine that Hot Lava has had a similar experience. I've started to be recognized when I'm out & about by people who know me from Humu Kon Tiki, but don't read TC -- I'm sure they're all wonderful people just like TCers are, but I would think TikiHula would be more than a little nonplussed if a bunch of them showed up at his house.

S

I had not thought in those terms. I assumed the type of folks who would be wanted at something like that are the ones who are pretty up to date on TC.

There is also the Fraternal Order of Moai on the other end. Though it is currently centered on mid-west and Ohio-centric activities, the idea is more about a local community and agthering in person. There is an Indiana/Illinois chapter forming and if there are enough people in an area, more communities will grow.

Although, one thing that is pointed out by trying to organize tiki-themed activities outside of a few metropolitan areas, is the rarity of the tiki-phile. We're mostly all out on little islands.

W

As far as Tiki goes I pretty much only come to Tiki Central. I don't have time to pop around to a half dozen other sites...I don't even check in on the Tiki/Exotica group I'm a member of at MySpace. And Tiki Central is a simple (yet elegant!) site that goes down easily into my dial up connection and old iMac.

Sorta like I said before a seperate California Events would keep things pretty well balanced. Breakin' up the events posts into several regional categories would be too much. And it wouldn't give such a clean Us VS Them taint to the Events. (And for those who need a laugh track...LOL!!!)

Pages: 1 22 replies