Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Sea Wynde Rum

Pages: 1 11 replies

TF

For anyone who considers themselves to be a rum coinniseur.

Sea Wynde rum is the sole proprietor of the original recipe for Original British Royal Navy Rum. That said, they also distribute the very last few demijons of actual BRN rum left on the planet.

The History:

Rum rations were curtailed in the BRN in the late 70's. Prior tho this Rum was one of the only 3 guarantees that was offered a british sailor, the other two, sodomy and the lash. The very nemisis of Ol' Boney's Ugne Blanc! ( Cogniac )

The Booze:

To experience the rare qualities of this fine spirit one can instantly acess it's uncommon virtues in lifting ones morale. Drink up and be somebody! Through the whole comission.

Here's to Lucky Jack! Don't forget your ol' shipmates o' the rally rally ro Jack!

T.F.

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2006-04-08 13:09 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki FInk 2006-04-09 17:18 ]

K
Kono posted on Sat, Apr 8, 2006 5:20 PM

I won't pretend to understand a quarter of that review but I will say that at the end of the day, Sea Wynde is easily my favorite sipping rum. The irony is that Sea Wynde doesn't taste all that rum-like.

J
JTD posted on Sat, Apr 8, 2006 8:08 PM
TF

Gee whittackers I wouldn't want to be redundant..

There is some interesting nautical history behind this stuff.

On 2006-04-08 12:35, Tiki Fink wrote:
Sea Wynde rum is the sole proprietor of the original recipe for Original British Royal Navy Rum. That said, they also distribute the very last few demijons of actual BRN rum left on the planet.

T.F.

I've really been wanting to try this one out, which rum would you say it's most like?

T

On 2006-04-08 12:35, Tiki Fink wrote:

I thought Pussers Rum was the original navy rum recipe. A book I read on the history of rum stated this and the Pussers web site does as well:

In 1979, Charles Tobias–entrepreneur, global sailor, raconteur–sought to resurrect the Pusser's Rum tradition. He obtained the rights and all the blending information from the Admiralty, and formed Pusser's Ltd. on Tortola in the British Virgin Islands and began bottling and selling this storied spirit in 1980 to the public for the first time. (Prior to then, it was restricted to the Royal Navy). British Navy Pusser's Rum is the same Admiralty blend of five West Indian rums as issued on board British warships, and it is with the Admiralty's blessing and approval that Pusser's is now available to the consumer.

More info here: http://www.pussers.com/rum/

Sea Wynde is a fine rum but is it really the original Royal Navy issue rum? I doubt it.

To the best of my knowledge Sea Wynde took over the actual facilities in Jamaica and Guyana that produced the last " Official " BRN rum. Along with this acquisition, they purchased the entire stock of Real BRN rum in Demijons which retail at about $2500. a piece.

In comparison to Pusser's rum Sea Wynde is much more refined. Simply put, Pusser's tastes watered down in contrast to Sea Wynde. Pusser's may have a similar recipe but Sea Wynde is a superior spirit. Try it, it comes in 50ml shooters so you don't have to shuck down $50.00 a bottle. You will find that the flavour is reminicent of fine cognac.

While this not too swell for mixing, it makes way for some pretty jammin' culinary excercises. Use it instead of brandy to make one hell of a demiglace or berry compote.

T.F.

T

As I said, Sea Wynde is a fine rum, but I never considered Pusser's rum to taste "watered down". Quite the opposite, it is very full-bodied. Let's just agree that they're both great rums that try to recreate the taste of the Royal Navy rum, but since neither of us have actually tasted a Royal Navy rum ration who is to say which rum is more like the real thing?

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-04-11 12:06 ]

M

Edward Hamilton has tasted them all, and told me that Pusser's actually tastes closer to original British Navy Rum than Sea Wynde, although he thought Sea Wynde was still quite a nice rum.

F
foamy posted on Wed, Apr 12, 2006 2:12 AM

I can't imagine BNR being too refined. Had the opportunity to associate with an old BN man (rest him) in the early-mid 80's in Nova Scotia and his credentials and verasity were unquestionable. Having a "tot" meant Pusser's. Good enough for me.

It's a rare opportunity to revive an 11-year-old thread, but I was amazed when I recently ran across a treasure trove of dusty old bottles of Sea Wynde in a South Florida liquor store ...

Needless to say, I grabbed a half-dozen bottles at a ridiculously low price before I realized what I had. Let's just say this rum was way ahead of its time. Not quite up to Smith & Cross standards, but close. For me, it's right behind Denizen in the funky Jamaican rum sweepstakes.

Keep an eye out. There might be more floating around out there.

Congrats, Hurricane! And that's a very nice-looking bottle label too.

I try to visit liquor stores when I'm out of town when time permits. You're right, there's no telling what you might find. Spirits don't really go bad, so it seems the store owners will hang on to old unsold product.

Pages: 1 11 replies