Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Witco, Kaiser, McVay

Pages: 1 25 replies

J

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I'm developing an interest in Witco. I first heard about Witco thru Michael who chainsaw carved in the 1964 World Fair in New York, he also made chainsaw carved furniture similar to Witco. So who came first McVay or Witco?

Also there is Ken Kaiser who carved many of the mural at the Trees of Mystery in Northern California in 1960. The simplistic style that he uses is because of the heaviness of the chainsaw, back in the 1950's. He would burn his pieces real heavy as did Mike. Carving with a heavy saw would leave things rough, and burning was a technique to smooth out the slivers.

I wrote a book called the Art of Chainsaw Carving, in in I mentioned the book by William Westenhaver and Ron Hovde as the first on Chainsaw Carving, (1978)

You can see one of Kaiser pieces and some of the early pioneer chainsaw carvers here http://www.groeschen.com/book.html under the chain of events.

I was not familiar with the Witco style until after the book was printed, but more pictures and info can be added in the revision.

Anyway, hope this discussion continues

[ Edited by: j.s.g. 2006-04-23 11:09 ]

[ Edited by: J.S.G. 2006-04-23 11:11 ]

[ Edited by: J.S.G. 2006-04-23 17:38 ]

Wow, a whole new world opens up! Chainsaw carving events, motor cycle daredevils jumping over 40 running chainsaws, etc...very cool!

Jessie, you will be glad to hear that my new book "Tiki Modern and the Wild World of Witco" will answer many of your questions regarding William Westenhaver and his company, more so than my last tome, The Book of Tiki, which only hinted at his oeuvre with 5 pages. Nevertheless, that "hinting" (plus revealing the Elvis' Jungle Room connection) was enough to make "Witco" a buzzword in the Tiki community and on e-bay, and turn it into a highly collectable commodity.

I do believe that Bill Westenhaver is a pioneer in chainsaw carving, wielding the powertool like a paint brush, and that my new book (due out Aug/Sept.06) will help establish the artistic value of the form. I will reprint a couple of the pages from his instruction booklet, and also had a friend draw up a tongue-in-cheek "Evolution of Tiki Carving" chart which ends in the chainsaw as the main tool of that modern art form.

Here on TC you will find lots of interesting info regarding carving with powertools in the "Creating Tiki" forum. I do not know about Ken Kaiser or Mike McVay and would love to see some of their works. Bill started doing his stuff in the very early 60s, so he might be slightly ahead of McVay. The commercial success of Witco also spurned a couple of imitators of the style, working with that same thick grained swamp cedar. Some were ex-employees, some just Northern Cal/Oregon wood artists who saw that the stuff was selling.

J

Hi Bigbrotiki. I will look for your book in Sept. How exciting!

I'll post pictures of Ken's work and Mike's later on in the day, once I figure out how to on this forum. Yes, I did go thru some old newsletters of The Cutting Edge, a journal by The Cascade Chainsaw Sculptors Guild, the 1993 issue Mike says he was turned on to chainsaw carving in 1957 when a friend showed he a picture of a tiki carved with a chainsaw. In the early 1960's he read an article on a company in Washington State that was creating furniture with it. That gave him the idea one could actually make money with the tool. He eventually started carving on the shores of Eel Lake, Oregon, with an ax, in 1959, his father recommend he use a chainsaw. Ken Kaiser, wow, amazing sculptor, he did not do much furniture, but his work at the Trees of Mystery is Northern Calif is incredible. He created 80 large redwood sculptures in a span of 6 months. And they are good! It has poetic magic behind it, like he was possessed by the muses beautiful madness. A brief history of Mike and Ken are in my book... perhaps you would like to trade books? For Your first book of Tiki's? My book is doing pretty good (according to the publishers)l, Chainsaw/Power Carving Events is big right now...we should have a Tiki Theme Chainsaw / Power Carving Contest, wouldn't that be fun.

I did a bit a research on Bill ... sounds like he was from Washington State and his book was printed in Mt. Vernon, Washington. So the wood he used was not Swamp Cedar. (Being a wood carver myself )The wood is Western Red Cedar. The same wood that the native totem carvers of the Northwest Coast have used for thousands of years. Tiki's and totems are very similar. What is your opinion? Or what is the definition for tiki?

This is forum is great... a whole new world of Tiki's is opening up for me. I'll have to carve one.

[ Edited by: J.S.G. 2006-04-11 08:50 ]

[ Edited by: J.S.G. 2006-04-23 17:41 ]

On 2006-04-11 02:02, J.S.G. wrote:
I wrote a book called the Art of Chainsaw Carving.

The Art of Chainsaw Carving, Jessie Groeschen, Fox Chapel Publishing (September 28, 2005) ISBN: 156523250X

J

Hello all, for your enjoyment, some photos of Kaisers work at the Trees of Mystery
carved in 1960/1961 about 4' wide by 7' high

Max the Back

![](http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6da30b3127cce88180c4a183c00000015100EctG7du3YsY[
Worlds Fastest Waiter
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6da30b3127cce88180d1258fc00000015100EctG7du3YsY)

Mike with one of his giant murals at the 1964 Worlds Fair in New York, both him and Ken Kaiser were invited by the Governor of Oregon, Mike Hatfield to represent the state of Oregon. Mike returned in 1965 and carved 50 totem poles represnting each state.
![](http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6da30b3127cce88180336d9ef00000015100EctG7du3YsY[

And a recent chainsaw carved set by Dan Whited at last years 16th annual The Big One! West Coast Championships Chainsaw Event, the theme; Hawaiian. Dan took a sitka spruce log, milled the lumber and created this bar in 4 days. Not one screw was used, all fit together perfect.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6da30b3127cce881802ad18dc00000016100EctG7du3YsY)

Here is my entry, 8 feet high by 3 feet wide, Back view

Front View

[ Edited by: J.S.G. 2006-04-26 10:07 ]

J

In the book by Hal Macintosh, Chainsaw Carving: The Art and Craft. It has a footnote that artist Mike Gildea, Manhattan Beach, California uses a chain saw for Tiki Wood Sculpture in 1960. Is he a well known Tiki Carver?

[ Edited by: J.S.G. 2006-04-11 13:14 ]

J

Art history is so much fun...
The McVay Family Carving...

Not only did Mike carve, but the whole family, his sisters Judy and Eileen and brother, Pat, they had a family business at one time shipping carved furniture and decorative items around the world. At it's height they had 13 employees. Pat, who I spoke with today, (we live on the same island) the younger brother of Mike remembers...Mike complaining about Witco stealing his designs! Both companies were in Washington.. Is it possible they were influencing each other, a whole art movement...like the impressionist painters, renoir, monet, manet...later gaugin, and van gogh, who caught the tail end of that movement and went in his own divine direction.

The interesting thing, today is Mike lives here on Whidbey Island, Washington and William, 45 minutes away.

Here is a bed carved and painted by Judy McVay
![](http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6da30b3127cce8806e62e58b200000016100EctG7du3YsY[

Carvings by Pat McVay
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6da30b3127cce8806e751996500000016100EctG7du3YsY)

Totems left to right, Mike, Pat, Rob Chalk of Australia

The Evolution of the Electric Guitar by Pat, for the Hard Rock Cafe in Whistler BC.

[ Edited by: J.S.G. 2006-04-11 22:50 ]

[ Edited by: j.s.g. 2006-04-24 10:13 ]

[ Edited by: J.S.G. 2006-04-26 10:09 ]

I really dig this one.

Welcome aboard J.S.G.

You get in touch with Benzart yet??

Go to the "Creating Tiki" forum. He's in there somewhere.

p.s. Keigs/ Ken Pleasant is the Grandson in law of William W. of Witco. He's on this forum also. He's a cool dude.

JSG,

I've been enjoying your book for the last couplah' months. I found a beautiful seal carved out of ?sequoia? in the thrift store locally. It was a bit scuffed up so I cleaned it up, the name on the carving said RL Blair. When I ran a search on google I discovered your book. The seal is now hanging in my tiki room with two large Witco's for company.

JSG, Bamboo Ben is the grandson of Eli Hedley who carved the stone moai for the Las Vegas AKU AKU. Eli Hedley is tiki royalty and one of the originators if not the originator of the american tiki style.
Ben makes alot of great bamboo/tiki art that can be seen in creating tiki.

On 2006-04-11 07:37, J.S.G. wrote:
Yes, I did go thru some old newsletters of The Cutting Edge, a journal by The Cascade Chainsaw Sculptors Guild, the 1993 issue Mike says he was turned on to chainsaw carving in 1957 when a friend showed he a picture of a tiki carved with a chainsaw.

Aha! Tiki, god of the artists, inspiring yet another artist's career!

In the early 1960's he read an article on a company in Washington State that was creating furniture with it. That gave him the idea one could actually make money with the tool.

Was that Witco, then?

A brief history of Mike and Ken are in my book, the Art of Chainsaw Carving... perhaps you would like to trade books? For Your first book of Tiki's?

Definitely, let's. I sent you a personal message (click under "personal messages" above)

I did a bit a research on Bill ... sounds like he was from Washington State and his book "Fun and Profitable Chainsaw Carving" was printed in Mt. Vernon, Washington. So the wood he used was not Swamp Cedar. (Being a wood carver myself )The wood is Western Red Cedar.

I dunno, that term somehow stuck with me from my talks with Bill. In any case, it was wood that was cheap because it could not be used in construction and nobody wanted it.

The same wood that the native totem carvers of the Northwest Coast have used for thousands of years. Tiki's and totems are very similar.

I agree. Although totems never became a pop culture like Tikis. That's what we are into here, the kitsch aspect, and through that, authentic Polynesian culture.
Bill Westenhaver told me he once taught American indians how to carve totems with a chainsaw.

On 2006-04-11 13:14, J.S.G. wrote:
In the book by Hal Macintosh, Chainsaw Carving: The Art and Craft. It has a footnote that artist Mike Gildea, Manhattan Beach, California uses a chain saw for Tiki Wood Sculpture in 1960. Is he a well known Tiki Carver?

Not really, only locally, in L.A. His Tikis were pretty whacky (which is not to say that's bad!):
Mike Gildea apprenticed with George Luke at Trader Luke's in San Pedro. Mainly dealing in Marine salvage, Trader Luke also carved very primitive Tikis when the trend hit. From there Mike opened his own Tiki shop in Manhattan Beach, on 38th Place and Manhattan Avenue, where he was joined by Bill Johnston. He later worked with his wife Georgia out of their home in Manhattan Beach.
When you get my book, you can see some of Mike's work on page 221, his Tikis supporting a yellow tiled box apartment building in Manhattan Beach.

J

This is definately a fascinating place.

Yes, some tiki's are kitschy. And believe me I do my share of kitschy things. But also I find tiki's powerful and mysterious. I don't know enough about it to make deep comments. But, I'm learning more from this forum. Thanks for sharing. I'm checking out the creating tiki forums and other peoples work. Fantastic! My head is just spinning.

RL Blair, what a score. He has carved most of the Disney stuff at Disney parks around the world. And William Shatner has a collection of his work.

To answer the question above about Mike in 1960 seeing a catalog... he didn't say but more than likely it probably was a Witco thing. Mike had a production thing going in the Wilamette Valley in Oregon in the mid 1960's. Then he headed for Paris for 10 years were he wrote, directed and acted in plays, some world premiere with Sam Shepard, etc. and carved some. Later in the mid 1970's to the early 80's in Washington, he started the production thing again, with his brothers and sisters.

I dig Witco's art. The man had a good sense of design and flair, and production sense. I see parallels in Mikes work and Witco...Like I see parallels in Tiki's and Totems. An ocean separates the West Coast of America from the Polyensian islands, who knows maybe a tiki or totem floated from one shore to the other.

F

Just popping in here- I have a copy of the Westenhaver/Witco Chainsaw Carving book if anyone needs a reference

J

On 2006-04-12 21:52, fatuhiva wrote:
Just popping in here- I have a copy of the Westenhaver/Witco Chainsaw Carving book if anyone needs a reference

Thanks for the offer. Those books are hard to locate! When I do the revision of my book Art of Chainsaw Carving, I would like to include more about the Witco Westenhaver/Hovde book. This book is probably the real kick off to chainsaw carving as an industry...mass producing chainsaw art in a factory hiring mostly women that ran the electric saws that hung from pulley's.

Hello all,

“I did a bit a research on Bill ... sounds like he was from Washington State and his book "Fun and Profitable Chainsaw Carving" was printed in Mt. Vernon, Washington. So the wood he used was not Swamp Cedar. (Being a wood carver myself )The wood is Western Red Cedar”

Actually Sven is correct; Witco used (mostly) swamp cedar which they imported from Canada.
I also seem to recall Mr. Westenhaver telling us that he was already doing this art in the 50’, the Witco business got going big time by the early 1960’s, but I could be wrong, that conversation was quite a while back.

Bosko

J

"Actually Sven is correct; Witco used (mostly) swamp cedar which they imported from Canada.
I also seem to recall Mr. Westenhaver telling us that he was already doing this art in the 50’, the Witco business got going big time by the early 1960’s, but I could be wrong, that conversation was quite a while back."

Bosko

Well, you learn something everyday. Swamp Cedar in Canada! I've heard of swamp cedar from the swamps in the southern US. I've been to Canada numerous times, never seen or heard the term swamp cedar. But I've never seen a Sasquatch either and they say that exist.

From the grain patters of the heavy burn it looks just like Western Red Cedar. But whatever Mr. Westenhaver wants to call is fine by me. Sometimes when I'm carving wood, I call it all kinds of things. Thank you for correcting me.

[ Edited by: J.S.G. 2006-04-13 11:33 ]

J

I spoke to Mr. Westenhaver. Nice Guy! He said he started carving with a saw in 1957.

[ Edited by: j.s.g. 2006-04-28 12:26 ]

On 2006-04-13 11:32, J.S.G. wrote:
Well, you learn something everyday. Swamp Cedar in Canada! I've heard of swamp cedar from the swamps in the southern US. I've been to Canada numerous times, never seen or heard the term swamp cedar. But I've never seen a Sasquatch either and they say that exist.

Northern White-Cedar
Cupressaceae -- Cypress family

Northern white-cedar (Thuja occidentalis) is also called eastern white-cedar, arborvitae, and swamp-cedar.

The main range of northern white-cedar extends through the southern part of the eastern half of Canada and the adjacent northern part of the United States. Specifically, it extends westward from Anticosti Island in the Gulf of St. Lawrence to the southern part of James By and through central Ontario to southeastern Manitoba; then south through central Minnesota and Wisconsin to a narrow fringe around the southern tip of Lake Michigan; then east through southern Michigan, southern New York, central Vermont and New Hampshire, and Maine. The species also grows locally in northwestern Ontario, west-central Manitoba, southeastern Minnesota, southern Wisconsin, north-central Illinois, Ohio, southern New England, and in the Appalachian Mountains from western Pennsylvania south to western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee.

Huh, I didn't even know it existed.

J

...and the sasquatch exist too! Yes, ok arborvitae, that is how I know swamp cedar. I carved it once, someone took down a danger tree in their yard which was an arborvitae, very bright white wood, comparitivly speaking (to red cedar) Only ornamental trees around here. Not common. No wonder I didn't see it up in Canada, The western side of that country is what I know. Seems strange that Mr. Witco trucked it all the way from the middle part of Canada...but hey cheap wood is cheap wood.

By the way the sasquatch was carved in red cedar, by me, it was a commission, a guy really into the sasquatch culture.

The heavy burn is a common finishing technique used by chainsaw carvers. I don't do it often, but for kitschy appeal, it helps.

Also, the "traditional" style tikis are pretty cool, been checking it out...thanks for telling me about Eli Hedly and Bamboo Ben, and just all the other talented carvers on the creating tiki's forums. I'm having great visions of tikis and masks, first I think it will be a mask, I'll post it over there, when I carve it but it's going to involve flowers in the background.

Hello all, here is a picture of my thrift store score, a sea lion by RL Blair, done in the 80's.

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-28 10:04 ]

J

Well...that's quite the prize. It's neat how the seal goes from a negative (inside the board) and evolves into a positive, reminiscent of MC Escher. A great addition to a tiki bar, it has that ocean feel.

RL has his website up and running...and I didn't know this, until now, but he carves tikis too.
http://www.rlblair.com/Page5.html

JSG, thx for posting the web site, it appears to be down right now. I hope you will post more pix of your carvings soon.

Aloha and Mahalo

ST

J
J.S.G. posted on Mon, May 1, 2006 5:11 PM

Ahh! Now it works! Thanks JSG.

ST

Pages: 1 25 replies