Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Disneyland's Plaza Pavilion - Tahitian side 1959

Pages: 1 16 replies

T

Here are some photos I just bought of Disneyland's Plaza Pavilion - Tahitian side in 1959.

What's interesting about these shots are the colorful (I assume) shields behind these ladies. One of them reads....
"Tommy Ai...(unreadable) and his Hawaiianaires" There were a lot of folks who played at the park over the years - but I've never heard of this guy - in fact, I thought the Plaza Pavilion was just an eating area - not an area for live entertainment too.

Has anyone out there heard of this guy? Just wondering...

Here's an aerial view of that dining area:
http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/alpavilion.jpg

Great Pics! How funny to see the early view. I worked at the Pavilion/Terrace/Tiki Juice Bar (many, many years after this picture) and we used to take our breaks in the Jungle Cruise boats. I remember the view (or a somewhat altered version of it!! I think the volcano was right where this platform must have been???

T

Yes - I think the volcano & tree were in a very close proximity to this photo....

Tang-

The building to the right of that sign is the Island Trade Store. Eli's old store. Cool pics!

M

Nice!

T

On 2006-04-12 20:42, RevBambooBen wrote:
Tang-

The building to the right of that sign is the Island Trade Store. Eli's old store. Cool pics!

Thanks Ben! Now - was the Island Trade Store the isolated hut that had the sign which said "Tikis" on top of it, or was the store incorporated into the Bazaar? I've been wondering, since I'm pretty sure that one photo from Tiki Magazine isn't from Disneyland... Have any more info on that?

So - does anyone out there have any educated guesses as to the identity of the band? This thread has had 127 views, surely one of you Poly Pop audio experts has some idea.... Sabu/BigBro/Kooche I'm looking at you!

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.