Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

First two for us!

Pages: 1 13 replies

OK so me and my buddy decided to carve Tiki. We have palm out of the yang and time to spare.

Any hints or tips on how to make these really even cooler than we think they are turning out to be would be appreciated.

Here is my first one after about 4-5 hours of work:

I'm pretty happy, in fact I'm pretty high on the whole thing.

Any advice or criticisms so far?

He finished his piece already but went a different way, here is his. He would also like input but is not an online person.

This one is his:

Clearly I am nowhere near finished with mine. I want the eyes to be 2x3 times deeper than they are now and I also, obviously, need to make the mouth.

For now, as it is:

Peace, Have fun and...get a Mai Tai.

-TampaTiki

The best piece of art in the world only has to be that for one person.

[ Edited by: TampaTiki 2006-04-12 19:05 ]

[ Edited by: TampaTiki 2006-04-12 19:33 ]

H

Lookin good for a first couple. YES--cut deeper! Are you guys using chisels or power tools? I'm no expert but you'll find many here who are true masters. In my opinion, I think you should make your cuts at an angle instead of a 90 degree cut from surface to recessed area--hope that makes sense.

Just keep lookin' at pictures/other peoples work-develop your own style and KEEP POSTIN' PICS! You'll be a champ in no time!

T

looks great. just keep at it. I live in tampa to. maybe get a carving party up....

T

looks great. just keep at it. I live in tampa to. maybe get a carving party up....

P

doesn't palm in the yang hurt?

great jorb!! keep up the great work and send some palm to vegas.

Palm in the Tang does smart. I am using second hand floor mats to sit on now.

Deeper, I agree 100%! That is why I am going 2-300% deeper on the eyes on mine. Plus, I need to make lips so I HAVE to go deeper somehow that will come to me. Dave used a Chain Saw on his to clear some of the flak out but as far as I know the rest he did with his mallet. He was behind me. I've been pretty much mallet and chisle but I have to admit I TRIED the chainsaw for about 2 minutes to peel the logs. Ruined my frame of thought like BIG TIME.

Now, I have to get to the mouth...much Kai coming in.

I prefer to do it without electricity or internal combustion (unless the electricity is illuminating my nocturnal chisling.)

Peace,
Tampa

On 2006-04-12 19:21, Thanatos wrote:

I would say not only yeah, but f#%k Yeah. When do you want to have it? I can host it.

tampa

H

Like I said, you'll be a champ in no time. I think you've got the right idea.

Ain't nuttin' wrong with a little electricity or internal combustion--you just gotta watch out for that 'spontaneous combustion'--you know it can happen, especially when one has the urge to carve but no logs to carve--or no means by which to carve said logs.

We have palm out of the yang

Palm in the Tang does smart.

And whatever you do....never confuse the 'yang' with the 'tang'!!!

peace backatcha

Right on.

Tiki Party at my place soon? I can do that. I just had Tiki-Gras, with a pig in a pit, a band and all. What do we need?

I know I need SOMEONE to come in with Mai-Tai's. We were missing them. We had Margs's and tequila drinks but no goood Rum Drinks.

How about a MaiTai competition? What do you want to see?

-TampaTiki

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 13, 2006 5:28 AM

Yo TampaTiki,

I live in Hillsborough and make lottsa chips dude. I'm always down with a carving party. Name the time and place.....

-Gman

Right on, we have a party in plans for May. Probably over on "Gilligan's Island" south of the Gandy Bridge but that Island might be too small. We will probably move it to one near Davis Islands. Ther will be enough boats to get anyone without one over there.

Hey Surf, have you checked out http://www.follysurfcam.com ?

Will post dates for the party as soon as I get them finalized.

Peace,
TampaTiki

H

Hey Tamp,
I have follysurfcam.com with breakfast every morn. I think I have a link to follysurfcam on my homepage with 1 or 2 links to other local surfcams and pics of some of my art stuff-check it out (at bottom-here)

You guys be sure to take plenty of pics of the carve party for those of us who probably won't be able to make it.
Later,
SnT

Right on, I'll take as many pictures as my fellow partiers feel comfortable with for sure.

I've put another few hours into mine and will post pics of it tomorrow after I find my camera. I found everything else that I lost right where I left it by the tools...sunglasses and all. I was a happy man.

Posting again soon!
Peace

OK, didn't find the camera but I DID find most of my other tools. Will post as soon as I find someone else with a digital camera...he is looking pretty mean and although in the future I'll work harder on symmetry I'm liking this one. He belongs in a shaded palm with indirect light anyway!

Pages: 1 13 replies