Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Picasso's famous tiki

Pages: 1 11 replies

V

I guess you remember the famous marquesian tiki Picasso used to love (as seen on the BOT with Brigitte Bardot and Apollinaire : ).

Well lots of people, including myself were wondering what happened with this statue, and would I be able to find it someday in a flea market !!!
Well, it's still in Picasso's family, as Tahiti-pacifique magazine told on an article with pictures from novembre 2005.
It seems that this tiki is a pre-contact one, considering the shape of it, and the used of tool, probably early 19th century. Nobody knows exactly how Picasso got it, but we know he was really in love with that object. It might have some points wears earings. It's 72 cm high and 30 cm diametre. And here it is now :

way cool v, thanks!

Picasso was always a man ahead of his time. I'm surprised that tiki imagery doesn't turn up in Dali's work. Or does it?

On 2006-04-14 05:50, MrBaliHai wrote:
Picasso was always a man ahead of his time. I'm surprised that tiki imagery doesn't turn up in Dali's work. Or does it?

Oddly enough, if you type "dali tiki" into the Google Image Search this is one of the images that turns up:

I have to admit that Flounder has some of the most Dali-esque Tikis.

Curiously, it also appears in Volume III of Karl von den Steinen's "The Marquesans and Their Art" from 1928, with the caption "Im Handel", meaning "on the market", which cannot be, if it has been in Picasso's posession since 1910 ...!?

This Tiki would be my personal holy grail, I think. :)

V

yes, at least 1911, as the picture of Apollinaire's visit is from that year.

I just found this on Amazon. Picasso's Collection of African And Oceanic Art by Peter Stepan.

"Although he never set foot in Africa, Picasso had a passion for African art. Throughout the course of his life he assembled a unique collection of statues and masks. Comprising more than 120 objects, Picasso’s private collection can now be found in museums in Paris such as the Louvre, Musée Quai Branly and the Musée Picasso, as well as in the private collections of members of Picasso’s family. This beautiful book documents the entire collection and examines it as a whole. It features documentary photographs, a section of stunning color plates, and detailed ethnographic descriptions of each piece, providing a full account of Picasso’s relationship with African and Oceanic art. This important publication sheds new light on the fascination non-Western art held for one of twentieth century’s most important artists."

The book is not out yet, but Amazon is taking pre-orders for $53.55 with free shipping. The list price will be $85.00.

A-A

H

AA, thanks for the great info. regarding this post. I particularly enjoyed Michael Hamson's website. Great art collection.

T

Anybody knows where I can see a back view of Picasso 's tiki? or side view, anything would help.
Thanks.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Mar 17, 2009 5:46 AM

Picasso's Tiki is no longer in Picasso's collection...

Where is it now?

In 2006 it was noted to be in the collection of Maya Picasso (in the family, like Virani said)...so does that constitute "Formerly, collection Pablo Picasso"? Or was it sold. It must be worth quite a chunk, as Picasso's "muse", and as a pre-contact Tiki.

Now, that is way hip!

Pages: 1 11 replies