Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Purple Jade Mug already on eBay!!!

Pages: 1 24 replies

This is very disheartening news. I have been waiting for months to get my Purple jade mug that I bought to benefit the devastation that was brought to Purple Jade and her home by hurricane Katrina only to find it on eBay.

auction link

This is VERY sad and I am still waiting to receive mine in the mail.

Jeff

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine - to shorten overly long link - 2006-04-18 15:10 ]

J

Hi Jeff - I just got a pre-ship notice from FedEx on Friday for my mug. So they're still rolling them out at Tiki Farm. I'm sure you'll be seeing something soon.

That auction kind of seems to defeat the purpose. Sad.

unless the seller is going to send the money to purple jade, he/she should be ashamed.

I actually saw one on e-bay over 4 weeks ago and then a week later my two showed up from The Farm. I agree though that it is a sad state of affairs but at least PJ benefitted from the original sale.

This is very sad...so, who had set #31?

I don't get it -- what's so sad about it? If someone purchased the mugs primarily because they were interested in doing something to help out PJ, and not so much because they actually wanted to own the mugs, isn't it better that they get them out on the market so that someone who loves the mugs but missed the sale can get them? Keep in mind -- this wasn't a sale where there were a limited number that sold out, it was a limited timeframe -- nobody missed out on getting mugs due to someone else swooping in & purchasing. Would it have been better if they hadn't bought the mugs?

On 2006-04-16 12:26, Humuhumu wrote:
I don't get it -- what's so sad about it? If someone purchased the mugs primarily because they were interested in doing something to help out PJ, and not so much because they actually wanted to own the mugs, isn't it better that they get them out on the market so that someone who loves the mugs but missed the sale can get them? Keep in mind -- this wasn't a sale where there were a limited number that sold out, it was a limited timeframe -- nobody missed out on getting mugs due to someone else swooping in & purchasing. Would it have been better if they hadn't bought the mugs?

It just seems with such a quick turn around that their true intentions were not to help out PJ but to help themselves. I guess they can do what they want with the mugs since they did indeed buy them, but to sell them before a lot of people haven't even seen their mugs yet is a little disheartening that's all.

Jeff

I see everyone's point. I was happy to do my part to help Purple Jade. Such a terrible misfortune.
I only collect the mugs that have a sentimental value to me, my beautiful set isn't leaving my possession.

you make a good point, humuhumu, but i agree with jeff that it's disappointing that someone is trying to profit on these so soon.

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhh!!! I finally got my Purple Jade mug!! It really looks nice. Now I need to put this thing up on eBay.....(just kidding). This ones a keeper!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

This thread has been dormant and maybe I should just leave it so, but I guess I can't resist questioning the premise of it and basically endorsing Humuhumu's point of view, expressed above. What on earth is the downside of someone having chosen to purchase this product, then subsequently choosing to sell it? The upsides are multiple, and obvious, among them just two being: 1. the chance for a good to pass from the hands of one willing to part with it to one eager to receive it, and 2. the opportunity for a current market price to be established, and this becoming public (i.e. free) information for anyone interested.

With no unfriendly intention whatsoever, I have to add that I find this:
...who had set #31?
very ugly, yet illustrative of the logical outcome of this sort of scolding, prohibitionist line of thought.

[ Edited by: Thomas 2006-05-21 02:35 ]

W

I personally agree wit the free market argument as well. The initial purchase of the mug is where the good intention ends. If someone turns around and sells it for a profit it has nothing to do with the original intent of the mug offering. (Heck, they could smash the mugs into a million little pieces and mosaic the inside of their toilette with it and the point of the mugs offering would not have changed.)

That said I think people may find it "sad" as there is a sort of feeling of family among Tiki Central folk. The people who got behind the mugs most likely felt that they were doing something greater than just collecting another piece of Tiki junk. That someone would then essentially turn and profit from that effort may feel like a slap in the face. Sales of Shecky mugs have seen similar reactions.

T

Let me reiterate that my strident tone in expressing my point of view is not meant to be divisive in any sort of personal way. With so many good folks here sharing sets of interests similar to mine, I consider philosophical differences like this strictly a "side show" anyway. An interesting and thought-provoking side-show at times, but still not the main event by a long shot, and not why we come here.

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 21, 2006 8:29 PM

Perhaps it is someones reaction to an alternative Tiki forum being established?

Either way the initial sale proceeds went to one of our Tiki Ohana in a time of need - and that is a good thing. The sale of this item afterwards in no way detracts from the money raised for PJ either - regardless of the reasons for the sale.

Anf if there is a good resale value, it encourages more people to buy similar items in the future, thus raising more money and that is a good thing.

I

Well I hope someone does start reselling them, because I didn't know about the original sale when it happened. As a native New Orleanian myself whose parents and sister lost EVERYTHING in Katrina, I would love to have one of these mugs for my collection. Me buying one second hand will hurt no one, and I already gave to the rebuild effort when my family and all their pets moved in with me and I supported them for 6 months, got my parents jobs through my connections and got my sister into a college.

...who cares what peoples intentions are?? it's their mug, they aquired it however they did, now they choose to sell it....so what??

arrrghhhhh!!

...damn Liberals!!!

I think people whining about the auction need to get their prioritys straight and perhaps consider what other things what might be going on in said sellers life. You people scolding and whining, I hope you never are put into a situation where you have to sell prized possesions to pay for health and/or Family reasons. The mug was sold out and proceeds were given to the very deserving Purple Jade. Now someone needed the money and sold it, maybe they wanted the money to spend on booze and Women, maybe they needed it for a surgery, who here knows? Anyone? Then STFU in this thread and in all the other "somebody sold a shecky wah wah wah" threads. I'll repeat some people need to get their prioritys straight and others need to mind other peoples business.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.