Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Does anyone have the Mai Kai Deep Sea Diver Recipe?

Pages: 1 4 replies

I recently found one of those strange ribbed glasses used for The Deep Sea Diver shown on the Mai Kai drink menu, and I was wondering if anyone maybe had a recipe for the drink. I googled it and found a recipe with lime juice, and lime syrup as well as 3 rums, but the description on the menu says : rich and creamy-a superb blend for those wishing to explore the depths. I have been to the Mai Kai countless times but I have yet to have the drink, so I don't know what to taste for. Maybe some south Florida Ohana could help out?

Thanks,

Aaron

My wife and I have been to the Mai Kai countless times on an ongoing quest to enjoy and decipher as many of their drinks as humanly possible. We've figured a few out, but one that continues to challenge us is the Deep Sea Diver. I've got a couple recipes I can share with you and the Tiki Central Ohana in the interest of science; these are not exact replicas, but they are snapshots of our recollections of the Deep Sea Diver, separated from the original by days and thousands of miles as well as the race against a fading memory. More importantly they capture the spirit of the drink and should work well for your ribbed glass. When you get a chance to visit the Mai Kai, be sure to order a Deep Sea Diver, it's a great drink even though they don't put it in that glass anymore.

MERMAID--this drink is a result of the first research mission to decode the Deep Sea Diver. It didn't work like I wanted it to, so I made some modifications to make it a little more palatable, and it became its own drink. It's a little on the small side, you may want to double it to fit in your new glass.

1/2 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
1 oz. orange juice
1/4 oz. Galliano
1/4 oz. Falernum
1/2 oz. honey
1/2 oz. cream or milk, or 1 egg white
1 oz. Appleton Estate Rum
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg.

Blend all ingredients with a few ice cubes. The consistency should be cold, creamy and pourable, not slushy or thick--pour into glass partly filled with ice cubes and serve.

SCUBA DIVER--this one is a variation on the Mermaid, trying to rework it to match the flavors we thought we tasted on the second research mission. The Galliano goes away and is replaced by the Licor 43 and Pernod (be careful with both, they are drink ruiners if used indiscriminately)

1/2 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
1 oz. pineapple juice
1 oz. fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
1/4 oz. honey
1/4 oz. cream
1/4 to 1/2 oz. passion fruit syrup (to taste)
slightly less than 1/2 oz. Licor 43
1 1/2 oz. Appleton Estate Rum (I suggest half Appleton and half Pussers for a tasty variation)
1/8 tsp. Pernod
Pinch nutmeg

Blend with ice (see above) and serve in one of those cool ribbed glasses that I'm jealous you found.

Let me enter a correction--the Scuba Diver is a bit on the LARGE side, you may want to halve it if you are having only one. That Mermaid recipe is about right for one person--it's already been adjusted.

Hey thank you very much for the recipes, I really appreciate that. I will definitely try them both! Every time I visit the Mai Kai, I always order off the strong dink side of the menu and have almost had them all. Next time I go down south I will try the drink, and maybe try extra tipping the bar maids to cough up some recipes. And I found the ribbed glass at a flea market for 3.00 The only thing is that the glass is slightly tinted a pinkish color but cool none the less.

Good luck! You might just get some secrets out of those waitresses! And enjoy the glass. I've seen a few of those at antique stores here around Minneapolis but they are always in a big set, way too expensive and usually a weird color (like cobalt blue). I'm holding out for a clear one. I think you don't see them that much because they're so fricken fragile.

Pages: 1 4 replies