Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

I can't find parfait amour in quebec

Pages: 1 8 replies

M

I went to liquor stores here they make me feel like an alien and american websites don't want to ship here. I feel doomed on my cold island. :cry: Now I will be a bad hostess forever.

I feel your pain, though there are many drinks you can make without it. I've been mixing tiki drinks for three years and have never needed it, or even tasted it.

Do you have Grog Log, Intoxica & Taboo Table?

One thing you do have access to is St. James Martinique Rum, I can't get that here in BC. Enjoy what you do have!

Maybe we could work out a trade?

M

Intoxica and grog log will be here soon.
I would love a trade with you I could be your personal alcohol shopper in quebec :D
Within the country the post office is not annoying as long as we pack it well :wink:

Parfait D'Amour is available here in BC!
I'll have to order a bottle in to Victoria, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Saint James agricole rhum ambré is what I'm looking for, if there's anything else you'd like, everything available to me is here on the BC Liuor Store web site.

K

You know, I hate to say this, but...

If you were to take a bottle of clear curacao and add a few drops of vanilla extract (just a few mind you, the tiniest amount) and a drop of purple food coloring, you'd just about have Parfait Amour.

Yes, the purists will disagree. Yes, it is not exactly the same. Yes, I too am a completist bartender and I had to have a bottle myself.

But the truth is that Parfait Amour is nothin' special. It tastes roughly similar to every other orange flavored liqueur out there.

Ahu ( I feel like I'm gonna regret posting that)

K

Alright..

Just to double check my palate memory (if there is such a thing) and ensure that I wasn't talking out of my ass any more than usual, I tried Marie Brizzard Parfait Amour side by side with Bols Curacao and DeKuyper Curacao.

The Parfait Amour is mostly orange with a touch of vanilla flavored as I remembered, but on tasting side by side with a lot of concentration, I can admit that there is an ever so slight addition to the orange vanilla flavor. I can't quite put my finger on it, and I suppose it is violets, but it reminds me vaguely of Peychuad bitters.

My conclusion: it is a nice liqueur, but in most cocktails for most drinkers you would never miss it if you subbed with vanilla hinted and purple colored curacao. I'd bet that many tasters in a blind test would be unable to pick out the PA.

Ahu

[ Edited by: kukuahu 2006-04-20 19:07 ]

Thanks Ahu, I do appreciate the information.

I'm sending Marika some Parfait D'Amour, and she's in turn sending me some Martinique rum. My local liqour distribution nazis are eliminating it from the shelves, so I'm getting a bottle for myself while I'm at it.

P

Parfait Amour is different depending on who makes it. What differs is usually the floral ingredients. PA is made some type of flower petal, usually roses or violets. Marie Brizard is the most common and I believe it uses roses. So you might be able to simulate PA by adding vanilla, rosewater and Peychaud's bitters (which will also help by adding red to the blue and making it more purple) to Blue Curacao.

M

This is all very valuable information. I am still very happy that Tikiwahine is so nice to do the shopping for me and I can send her something she likes in return. :)

Pages: 1 8 replies