Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Leroy Schmaltz Tiki Value?

Pages: 1 12 replies

Aloha!

I have a cool, approximately 5 foot, original tiki post sculpted by Leroy of Oceanic Arts. It's about 10-15 years old. Just wondering if older Schmaltz pieces have appreciated in value, or are they essentially valued at the same price OA sells new 5 foot tiki posts? What do they go for these days?

Thanks for the advice.

Merlin

Do you have pictures that you could post for us?

Did Leroy sign it?

..they're worth only what someone is willing to pay for it...less if the artist is still alive..

S

10-15 years old does not increase the value in my book. Provenance does. If you can tell me where the piece came from. If it was in an establishment, that may give it value. Same piece from a garden is not worth what it would be if it came from the Kon Tiki. But, even then, I think the increase is not a lot. Depends on if there is a collector out there who wants that.

Answer: In general, no.

Thanks for the opinions - I figured as much. I don't see a signature, but it was purchased from Oceanic Arts in Whittier.

email me if you'd like to see photos, as I don't know how to post pix here sans external server.

[email protected]

L

On 2006-04-19 12:29, merlinjones wrote:
I don't see a signature, but it was purchased from Oceanic Arts in Whittier.

and there wouldn't be one. Leroy fairly disdains that practice and if requested, while you are there with one of his works, he would sign something begrudgingly.

Just becuase you bought it at OA does not necessarily mean that Leroy carved it. they've had many different carving employees throughout the years (not just the well known ones during the 60's, but highschool and college kids too)

On 2006-04-19 12:37, lanikai wrote:

On 2006-04-19 12:29, merlinjones wrote:
I don't see a signature, but it was purchased from Oceanic Arts in Whittier.

and there wouldn't be one. Leroy fairly disdains that practice and if requested, while you are there with one of his works, he would sign something begrudgingly.

Perhaps you caught LeRoy at a bad time or something turned him off. Personally, I can say the last time I was at OA, I had a very pleasant visit with both Bob and LeRoy. I brought the Tiki Bar Sign that LeRoy had made that I special ordered from my last visit (that was, subsequently, mailed to me upon its completion) and LeRoy was more than happy to sign the back of it for me. Both he and Bob also signed my Book of Tiki and Night of the Tiki Books. It was a great experience and certainly one I'll remember. It was quite obvious I was getting these items signed strictly for my own personal use and enjoyment...perhaps this made a difference. My wife and I have been to OA a number of times and it's always a very pleasurable experience.

Actually, the Oceanic Arts guys were very kind and I was enthralled by the tiki and chatted with Leroy and the guys way back then. I'm a huge fan of their work and of Walt's Enchanted Tiki Toom and the WDW Polynesian Village. I'm still in love with the piece too, but we may have to part.

Here are the pics of merlinjones carving

L

On 2006-04-19 21:31, vegastikidude wrote:

Perhaps you caught LeRoy at a bad time or something turned him off.

Personally, I had a very pleasant visit with both Bob and LeRoy.

as did I. Leroy elaborated on it after someone came up and asked for his autograph on a carved tiki from their inventory. He simply explained to me his philosophy and perspective on the, for want of a more diplomatic phrase; "personality worship of carvers" (my words) and the idea of signing carvings. I like the guy alot and admire his, well, humility and great down to earth, casual, rollin' with it all demeanor... and wanted to hear his perspective on the phenomena in general and loved hearing what he shared.

Thanks, rodeotiki, for hosting the pix!

Aloha! - - Happy to say that the tiki has found a new home (...and closer to the ocean!). Thanks for checking him out!

[ Edited by: merlinjones 2006-04-25 07:21 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies