Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Christmas tree lights/bar lights

Pages: 1 6 replies

D

I just got done decorating my tree in my bathroom(it's done in beach/mermaid motif). Anyways I hadn't heard on anyone doing this to their tree or bar. So I thought I would share. The lights on my tree have shells hot glued to them. There for the color of shell glows thru, I recommend calico shells since they have different hues to them in white, pinks, purples and oranges. But any will do. Then I use spray glitter in silver(very fine glitter) and spray. U could use glue and glitter and apply to each shell but that's time consuming. It only takes a few moments for each shell to dry but some manuering is needed once on the tree so they lay properly. And then used a star fish as my star(also gave it some sparkle) and their you go. When not using on the tree the lights are used on my porch with my fish net and then out for parties.

I'm diggin' that your XMas tree is full on "mermaid/island hell (in a good way)" but more importantly - it's in your bathroom! Bathroom XMas tree rock!!
Holden

Holden Westland
Tiki Farm
"Purveyors of Polynesian Pop Culture"
http://www.tikifarm.com

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2002-12-08 00:12 ]

D

Thanks-had a party last nite and everyone commented on it and loved it. It's pretty tropical and alot of people loved the lights and asked where I bought them...

I really like your light idea! But...I am having a hard time visualizing just how to stick those shells on the lights. Could you post pics or more detailed instructions? Thanks. So creative! And a tree in the bathroom is a great idea! I can't wait to make mine!

D

I just glued the shell with hot glue either at the bottom of the shell or at a nice angle to cover the light. Put the glue on the shell first and then apply to the plastic whatchamacallit that the light slides in. And once dry the heat from the light is too low to reheat the glue so you don't have to worry about that. I just suggest however the shell will lay nicely over the light and covering it is fine. Sorry no pics-no digital but maybe santa. Goodluck - hope this helped.

Thanks divychic, I was thinking that you put the shell over the light itself. Now I won't burn down the bathroom! :)

D

It does cover the light put doesn't lay on the shell. I haven't had one problem with mine. Hope yours turns out and I wish I could send a pic but have no digital camera to show you. Size of shell doesn't really matter except not a real large or heavy one and make sure it cover the light so all you see is the shell. Good luck and send a pic if they turn out. A strand of lights shouldn't take very long at all and it's really simply. Happy Huladays!!

Pages: 1 6 replies