Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Tiki in the Sonoran Desert?

Pages: 1 5 replies

Went to Satan's Sin's Ultra-Top Secret Desert Party Spot this weekend, and wouldn't you know it but one of the rock formations bore an uncanny resemblance to a moai:

Shaky, yes; but how about this one:

Just to be on the safe side, we made obesiance to our Desert God. Asked specifically for the freakin' wind to die down. And come sunet, it magically did.

Just for grins, some other photos from Satan's Sin's Ultra-Top Secret Desert Party Spot (SSUTSDPS):

Mrs. Satan's Sin presides over a small cooking fire (as opposed to "Main Party Fire") while Satan's Sin himself freezes his fingers to the bone on an icy cocktail shaker.

Twilight. View from SSUTSDPS.

View of the acutal SSUTSDPS. Tents, fire and bar to the left of the boulder. On the right is a spot where Indians made indentations into the stone to grind acorns.

View from SSUTSDPS. Morning. The van is mine, a Nissan, a true tank.

View from the Tent of Satan's Sin. Morning.

Part of the crew. The more the merrier. We always bring lots of food, hardly cook any. Bring guitars, never sing. Bring telescopes, never look. Bring booze, that is always gone.

Mrs. Satan's Sin vs. The Giant Ocotillo. The better half was almost winning when she was sucker-punched by a Tremors monster.

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin 2006-04-23 17:10 ]

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin 2006-04-23 17:11 ]

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin 2006-04-23 17:12 ]

[ Edited by: satan's sin 2006-04-23 19:51 ]

Great Bohemian hideout, looks like fun. Spring is a spectacular time in the desert.

People still say they see wild camels that were released in the 1860s out there...(one-humpers)Did you scare them with the sound of the shakers?

Thanks for posting!

Gigantalope --

Never seen camels out there, but more often than not we find mountain lion tracks coming up to the edge of camp and then going away.

There are stories of Bigfoot-style creatures living out there. Supposedly, at gigantic Edwards Air Force Base the security patrols occasionally glimpse (through night vision devices) huge humanoid family groups lurching across the desert, but have standing orders never to fire upon them.

Makes for a good campfire story. Oh, but I would've given anything for a good UFO sighting!

Nice.

Never made it to the desert yet. Always skip over it at 38,000 feet on the way to the Pacific.

Need to drive there soon and check it off the list... along with that giant erosion gully and those Indian dwellings in the cliffs.

Instead, this summer the wife and I are driving to that big waterfall out East... that'll be the second time I've seen that in my life, her first.

Bum deal on Palm Springs being out for Oasis... that was my hope at seeing the desert this year.

Thanks for the pics!

Great pics man. My favorite desert camping experience: the aroma of breakfast cooking over an early morning campfire. One day I will make it out to SSUTSDPS and we'll capture the elusive ManBearPig that's rumored to reside there in a secret cave full of treasure and 50 year old scotch.

Shipwreck, you're totally on!

Although my favorite camping experience is watching the Milky Way spread out from one horizon to the next while Ella Fitzgerald comes through as clear as a bell over the boombox and asks:

What is this thing called "love"?
This funny thing, called "love"?
Just who can solve its mystery?
Why does it make a fool of me?
I saw you there one wonderful day,
You took my heart and threw it away.
That's why I ask the Lord in heaven above --
What is this thing called "love"?

Pages: 1 5 replies