Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Any good tiki spots / junk stores in Chicago?...

Pages: 1 2 replies

Been in Chi-Town for a couple days, have a couple days left. Have pretty much exhausted the new/used vinyl store circuit. Crazy Man Records in Wicker Park (1657 W. Division) had the best selection of inexpensive-ish Hawaiian records (of which I picked up Don Ho's first album on Reprise in NM mono for $3.50). Was excited to see a nearby Trader Vic's listed on Tiki Road Trip, but disappointed to learn it closed down in December of last year. Did see a patio bar, also in Wicker Park (on North St.), that displayed several carved tikis outdoors, but lacked any kind of tiki atmosphere once inside. Haven't seen any thrift stores/flea markets/etc. yet... Anyone have the skinny on good tiki hotspots or bargain vinyl basements in the Chicago area?

..serves you right for not letting us know sooner that you would be in town.....

now we have to hustle to send you in the right direction...

.try vintage deluxe on belmont 2 blks east of damen - lot's of vintage clothes, hawaiian shirts, tiki/50's stuff.....duke carter has probably picked over most of the tiki stuff left in chi-town and continues to be a nusiance to me as well as other tiki collectors....LOL The tikis you saw out doors were the old barstools from rock-a-tiki...the place is called iggy's and is owned by the same owner of the now ex-rock-a-tiki. Over on the belmont/clark st area are alot of hipster type shops, including hollywood mirror, on belmont between clark and halsted.....they have tons of toys, vintage clothes/furniture etc....upstairs is ragstock with more clothing....salvation armies are scattered throughout the city -I suggest a phone book to find ones within reach of where you are.

as for bars, try hala kahiki in river grove on river rd or chef shangri-la on 26th and desplaines in riverside.....

alright tikibars, it's your turn to chime in with suggestions.....where the hell are you??

Thanks for the tips! I'm out the door to check 'em out right away...

Pages: 1 2 replies