Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

email banned - lotta livin

Pages: 1 14 replies

I need some help from some tcer's

For some reason, my email address (thylus AT hotmail.com) has been banned from lotta livin. But I've never registered there.

I read all the FAQ's and how to's and they never said that they flat out banned all hotmail accounts AND I can't find an email to contact the site Admin to ask why I've been banned.

I think the site admin is Futura Girl, but I'm not sure

can anyone help a shut-out?

feel free to email, pm or post here if ya can

Waaa...boohoo...sob

thanks in advance!

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-04-23 20:07 ]

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-04-23 20:29 ]

H

yes Lottaliving is Futura Girl, if you want to get in touch with her let me know, I can call her on the phone for you if you like! Maybe I will see you at the carving seminar. Can I bring the carving tools from last year, I still have them.

Do you have a GMail, Yahoo or Netscape email? If not just open a Yahoo account, you can use it for Lotta Livin' and then use it as a Spam trap account for contests and such.

I don't know what the story is with Lotta Livin' specifically, but it seems to be becoming more common for sites to disallow the use of "free" email addresses (e.g., yahoo.com, hotmail.com) when signing up for accounts, because it's too easy to create fraudulent accounts.

Aha! Sure enough, this post was made by Futura Girl in the Lotta Livin' Announcements section:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5336

Post subject: About the "YOU HAVE BEEN BANNED" notices

Over the past year we have had a number of spammers coming into the forum through so called "free email" accounts like yahoo and hotmail.

Removing these posts to keep the forum friendly and PG rated is a very time consuming effort. If I was getting paid to run this forum, I'd sit here all day and delete the spam that comes through, but I'm not, so we are left with very few alternatives.

After conferring with a few other boards and how they deal with this problem, we have opted to no longer allow yahoo or hotmail accounts to register on Lotta Living.

If you have already registered with a hotmail or yahoo account, you will be able to continue posting, but if you are new and trying to get on, please use a paid email account to register, like a work email address or aol.com or earthlink.net, etc.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this causes our members and sorry that some of you are getting singled out for the bad behavior of random people. But this seems to be our only recourse.

Best,
Futura Girl
Your Lotta Living Hostess

excellent...sorta.

thanks for the post humu - It took me thirty minutes to get frustrated and post here, and you 4 minutes to figure it out.

Time to use the "official" work email...

I appreciate your sleuthing

H

:)

So the next obvious question is...
Where's Futura Girl Baby?!

On 2006-04-27 22:57, Unga Bunga wrote:
So the next obvious question is...
Where's Futura Girl Baby?!

At LottaLiving.com . She posts here about once a month, more often if she has time.

Polynesiac,

I am sorry for the problems you've had registering. I hope you got it all ironed out. We'd love to have you posting there. And thank you Humuhumu for answering the question for me. Yes, we have opted for no more new hotmail or yahoo accounts. We are still accepting gmail (for now) and Netscape is just fine.

Of course - if hotmail or yahoo is ALL you have - I am more than happy to make special arrangements for anyone in that situation.

Unga 'n' Freddie,

Actually, I can't post here anymore.

The username FuturaGirl is no longer allowed on Tiki Central. This is due to the fact that I am closely related to another user here and Hanford is erroneously convinced we are the same person even though we are not. So I have been banned. And since I can't post - I don't read, cause it's too depressing not to be able to participate. :(

I did post a couple of posts recently using C.B. Howlie's account because I had no other way to post. But on principle, and out of respect for Hanford's wishes, I'd rather not do that.

Aloha from Las Vegas.

H

:(

On 2006-05-29 19:43, Futura Girl (via C.B. Howlie) wrote:
This is due to the fact that I am closely related to another user here and Hanford is erroneously convinced we are the same person even though we are not. So I have been banned.

This is TOTALLY NOT TRUE. Let me tell you what really happened:

Last year I made a policy-change so that one person having multiple profiles was against the rules. This was after many people tried conning us in the Marketplace, tried to drum up fake buzz for their events, faked feedback to boost their eBay auctions, and created fake conversations to mess with people. And then people started accusing real new members of being fakers trying to goof with them. It got out of hand, U-Mods skyrocketed, and so I put the new rule in place.

But regarding this situation, I know the truth: that Cherry Capri and Futura Girl are not the same person. The problem is that this final call is not up to me. It's my cousin who runs the bookkeeping aspects of Tiki Central for me. He's convinced they're the same person. I begged and pleaded with him to let both Futura Girl and Cherry Capri stay (I even showed him the photos, but he claimed they were "photoshopped", whatever that means.)

I thought about overturning his decision, but ultimately I was reminded that when I gave cousin Buttonwillow the job of running the bookkeeping aspects of TC, he made me pinkie-promise that I'd let the final say rest with him. So I let his decision -- as uninformed as it is -- stand.

So on Buttonwillow's behalf I begrudgingly told both Cherry and Futura Girl that only one account could post, but that they could decide who. Futura Girl replied that only Cherry would post from then on. So we have an understanding, and I think she's just being a little mellodramatic in her message above. I mean, it's clear from the fact that Futura Girl blanket-banned email addresses that she herself is prepared to make some compromises to help a forum run smoothly.

So, let the record show that I DID NOT BAN FUTURA GIRL.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-05-29 23:05 ]

On 2006-05-29 23:01, hanford_lemoore wrote:

On 2006-05-29 19:43, Futura Girl (via C.B. Howlie) wrote:
This is due to the fact that I am closely related to another user here and Hanford is erroneously convinced we are the same person even though we are not. So I have been banned.

This is TOTALLY NOT TRUE. Let me tell you what really happened:

Last year I made a policy-change so that one person having multiple profiles was against the rules. This was after many people tried conning us in the Marketplace, tried to drum up fake buzz for their events, faked feedback to boost their eBay auctions, and created fake conversations to mess with people. And then people started accusing real new members of being fakers trying to goof with them. It got out of hand, U-Mods skyrocketed, and so I put the new rule in place.

But regarding this situation, I know the truth: that Cherry Capri and Futura Girl are not the same person. The problem is that this final call is not up to me. It's my cousin who runs the bookkeeping aspects of Tiki Central for me. He's convinced they're the same person. I begged and pleaded with him to let both Futura Girl and Cherry Capri stay (I even showed him the photos, but he claimed they were "photoshopped", whatever that means.)

I thought about overturning his decision, but ultimately I was reminded that when I gave cousin Buttonwillow the job of running the bookkeeping aspects of TC, he made me pinkie-promise that I'd let the final say rest with him. So I let his decision -- as uninformed as it is -- stand.

So on Buttonwillow's behalf I begrudgingly told both Cherry and Futura Girl that only one account could post, but that they could decide who. Futura Girl replied that only Cherry would post from then on. So we have an understanding, and I think she's just being a little mellodramatic in her message above. I mean, it's clear from the fact that Futura Girl blanket-banned email addresses that she herself is prepared to make some compromises to help a forum run smoothly.

So, let the record show that I DID NOT BAN FUTURA GIRL.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-05-29 23:05 ]

LOL!!!

Bottonwillow???

You berry funny !!!

Hmmm, I thought Martiki's Cousin Clem was doing the bookkeeping. You never know who or what to believe I guess.

Chongolio

CL

Cousin Clem's out smoking and drinkin 'yeahawww BUD'. Apparently still has interest in the "garsh darned Tiki Thiing...with alll em lttl frty uhmbrillas and $@#*".

It was a pleasure meeting Buttonwillow recently on his trip into town. Just wish he was a bit more into Tiki.

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2006-06-02 08:46 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies