Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Carving class in San Pedro CA - May 14

Pages: 1 12 replies

Aloha all!

We're doing another tiki carving class at Cabrillo Aquarium on Sunday May 14 and we'd love to invite you (and your mother) to take the trek down the 110!

Here's the flyer:

In case you can't read the phone number its: 310 548 5762
more info at: http://www.cabrilloaq.org
Space is VERY limited, so if you want to come, please call soon

If you have your own chisels, then the price drops about $15 (for a total charge to you of...$24!)

I hope you can make it!

Here's some photos of the last tiki carving class:

and another thread about a previous class:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14982&forum=1&hilite=San%20Pedro

and a press release (that I found on Lotta Livin)
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=35000&highlight=&sid=83b3776afe48be6f229d76c26828793a#35000

PS - I'm "Mr. D"

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-04-24 06:29 ]

I was just wondering when the next one of these was going to be! I've been trying to get to one of the classes for at least a year now, but there's always something going on, someone's getting married, or it's my Mom's birthday-- well I'm going to try again this time, hopefully I'll be able to make it.

H

Well maybe I will go again, it was a lot of fun last time!!!

Tikijosh and hil - I hope to see you there! We're going to have a blast! I know there is at least one other TCer coming down for the class too and we'd love to have more

hil - recognize anyone in those photos?!?!?!

M
mieko posted on Mon, May 8, 2006 10:08 AM

Wow, Can't make it on the 14th, but I'm VERY, VERY interested in doing this, as are my mom and dad. :) I hope you have another one soon!
Or maybe you want to head south for an afternoon in San Diego?

H

Can't make the one on the 14th, but would definitely attend another one in the future! Would really jump start my skill set!

This sounded great, unfortnately, the class is all booked. No more room. :(
You snooze, you lose.

[ Edited by: cheekygirl 2006-05-12 17:39 ]

I attended Polynesiacs carving class yesterday and I am so glad I did!! I had a great time and it also allowed me to make time to try something I have always wanted to do. I huge Mahalo goes out to Polynesiac for his knowledge, patience, and insight. There were quite a few people there and some of them made a great first attempt to the masks. I now have a pretty good start for the Marqesian mask I decided to carve although I know I "suck" and it isn't finished, yet. I know I will make an effort to finish it!! So I can try another one. Anyway here is a few pic's.

EEEEeeeeeeAAAAaaaaaaOOOOooooooWWWWWwwwwWWWw

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2006-05-15 20:23 ]

AWESOME spermy!!!!! That is a mighty fine looking carving for A) first time carving and B) about 2.5 hours of carving. He's roughed out and ready for some fine detail. No sleep tonite, spermy, get carvin'!!!!

Thanks for posting those great pictures, it reminds me of what a blast that class was. Thanks again for coming down and joining in. Folks, we had quite a few first time carvers walk away with the beginnings of some mighty fine looking masks.

For those of you who were unable to make it to the class, PLEASE email me at: thylus AT hotmail.com, or PM me so I can put your name on a waiting list. The next class is not scheduled until October, but if there is a demand for the class, then we can do another one sooner.

Mahalo!

Looks great Spermy , Yea a little stain varnish you,ll be fine would of liked to have made it down there but a bit much goin on . Regards Tyger

New to the board - actually new to the scene but have been appreciating Tiki since I was a little Kid.
My favorite place to go for my birthday was the Bahooka in West Covina until it closed.

This class looks very cool and I would like to find one or possibly get a book and some tools to try my own.
Where does one find the wood? I have no clue on where to find any supplies (authentic) as I don't like fake crap.
Well, I will be searching around this site for a while and learning all I can as I am very interested in this world.

I am amazed at the artwork - love to see more...

I'm so jealous, spermy! I'm booking early next time!

T

Any word on whether this is going to happen again this year?

Pages: 1 12 replies