Vintage Eames Witco Era Tiki God Mask

can anybody make me an offer for a tiki mask like this,

or give me some advise / more detailled describtion / year / origin

or any idea where to look for that?

wont be happy until i own that thing

thanks a lot in advance

greetings from berlin

eisenvater

Oceanic Arts in California makes a mask of a similar design, it is a bit flatter and smoother though. We have vintage masks in our Kon Tiki, but I know that they are still making them today. Sorry I don't have any pictures to show you. Give them a call at OA, they might know some of the history.

cheeky half

thanks everyboy

oceanic arts: they say they havnt seen one of these before

any other suggstions?

it would help to know more about it to do reasearch ,is it a maori tiki god, eventually?

I think Cheeky Half was refering to this:

It might be a little hard to see but there is one on the yellow wall almost in the center of this picture at Oceanic Arts when I was there last summer. Maybe you can send this to them as they deal with alot of different pieces there. Hopefully this helps as it is a cool style alright!
TabooDan

Edited to enlarge photo for all to see again.

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2009-05-21 21:01 ]

That is what I was referring to TabooDan, thanks for posting the pic.

I know how you feel when it has to be the ONE....but frankly, I would forget about finding that exact one (especialy from Berlin!). I had never seen one like that before in all my 15 years of Tiki collecting. Which bidder were you? rhinozrus and islandculture a big spenders that are hard to compete with.

On 2006-04-25 19:55, bigbrotiki wrote:
I know how you feel when it has to be the ONE....but frankly, I would forget about finding that exact one (especialy from Berlin!). I had never seen one like that before in all my 15 years of Tiki collecting. Which bidder were you? rhinozrus and islandculture a big spenders that are hard to compete with.

thats bad news really, dont know the tiki market so well, but i had the same problem with a witco sculpture, that went from 100 up to 600+ dollars within the last 20 seconds of the auction.

i have now asked Bob from oceanic arts if they could carve a replica of it.

thanks everybody for the support so far!

..I don't doubt that the one in the auction was vintage, but it resembled one of those home-made carvings you see turning up from the 50's and 60's in yard sales and flea markets today...odds are, it was probably one-of-kind. If oceanic arts can't help or if the price is too steep, i suggest you check out some of the carvers on this site....perhaps one of them can carve you a duplicate.....

Eisenvater, if you want a reproduction of a Witco item u might look up an artist on this site like Bosko or Keigs.

On 2006-04-27 03:59, Sneakytiki wrote:
Eisenvater, if you want a reproduction of a Witco item u might look up an artist on this site like Bosko or Keigs.

hello, no that was a missunderstanding. i dont want no reproduction of the witco sculpture (though it would be nice as well..) but of the tiki god mask mentioned and displayed above.

[ Edited by: eisenvater 2006-05-02 15:17 ]

the item you listed should be really easy to duplicate. Its not that complex or stylized. The key would be getting the finish to look older like the one you bid on.

Pages: 1 11 replies