Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Magazine #4 - Jeff Berry & Kevin Bullat - great articles!

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

I just wanted to say, that since 'Urban Archeology' seems to be on everyones mind here (and Humu's well timed call for more Savage Renewal), that I was very impressed with the work done by Jeff Berry ('From Coruba to Katrina: The Rum Life of Stephen Remsberg') & Kevin Bullat (Origins of the Steel Guitar)!

Great information & excellent photos! That 1950s exterior of Don the Beachcomber Chicago was amazing, and Bong's vintage sheet music and Pan Pacific Expo postcard gave fixed my 'old-timey' jones... Nice job!

Hey, no fair... I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive! How long have you had it? Anyone else not get issue 4 yet?

I really enjoyed this issue. And the fact that Crazy Al and Ernie Keen signed it is all the better!!

H

I got it a few days ago. I am sure you will get it soon. Rodeo I forgot to sign your magazine. :wink:

V

True Tang. I agree. I (like in all the issues) loved the Jeff Berry article.
Bong's was very interesting as well.
Thanks to Nick and all involved in tiki magazine.

another top notch issue with lots of great articles and tons of eye candy!

T

Jeff Berry's articles are always informative. I'd like to see Humuhumu and Sabu The Coconut Boy write some articles for Tiki Magazine as their scholarship is impressive as well.

I enjoyed Jeff Berry's ,Tangaroa's ,JT's and Bong's article (though the last one was too short). It was nice to see Dr. Z's Castaway Lounge (RIP) in print for posterity.
I did have a couple of "constructive criticism" points that I shared with Jonpaul.

Keep up the good work Nick and everyone,
Ran

J

Jeff Berry's article was without a doubt one of the best articles I've ever read in Tiki Magazine! I don't know if it was the curiosity factor of wondering how someone goes about starting a vintage rum collection or just the admiration/envy of Mr. Remsburg's stockpile! It was one of those articles you didn't want to end and one that when you finished you read it again. Awesome! Hey is it time to renew my subscription? :)

L

On 2006-04-26 12:25, GatorRob wrote:
Hey, no fair... I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive! How long have you had it? Anyone else not get issue 4 yet?

the issue washed up on shore of our island a while ago and a few of us went through it and found it quite the entertaining rag...
Tho it tickled us with so much visual stimuli, like an explosion in Dizzyland's tiki room, we were still able to read and had a few laffs at:

"Gecko is definitely da big puka"
Gecko is a nice guy and a very good artist but I don't know anyone here that would call him "The big hole".
nope.

"The Hawaiian steel guitar is "tiki"?!"...Joseph walking beside a railroad track in La'ie near Honolulu..."
I am here to tell you, La'ie is not near Honolulu. Not even kinda near. Not so much as even a little far from Honolulu. In fact, you can't find a town on Oahu that is further from Honolulu than La'ie is. Solly Cholly. They are on complete opposite ends of the island.

"Smokin Menehunes, a Hawaiian trio..."
Nope.
Sunday Manoa = Hawaiian Trio.
Makaha Sons = Hawaiian trio.
But haoles on the mainland... a Hawaiian trio?

There is mention of a Hawaiian Guitar player;
Sol Ho'opi'l
no such person.
We do know of a
Sol Hoopii though.

otherwise it was a fairly entertaining megacollection of more modern tiki in one place that we've ever seen.

[ Edited by: lanikai 2006-05-05 14:00 ]

A
aquarj posted on Fri, May 5, 2006 4:39 PM

Sol Ho'opi'l
no such person.

Ever heard of "Hawai'i", or is there no such island? I see you're from "Hawaii", which must be a totally different place.

-Randy

L

On 2006-05-05 16:39, aquarj wrote:

Sol Ho'opi'l
no such person.

Ever heard of "Hawai'i", or is there no such island? I see you're from "Hawaii", which must be a totally different place.

-Randy

no, da bugga has an
"L"
at the end of his name. glottal stops not da issue...

T

Does anyone have any info on this tiki from the back cover of Tiki mag in the ad for the Catalina event. Is it just an illustration, or does it physically exist as a ceramic piece or wood carving?

[ Edited by: TikiSan 2006-05-11 13:05 ]

Another fine issue! Seriously Nick, Tiki Magazine has now replaced 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords as the "IN THE CAN" magazine of choice for family, friends and parishioners here at Shipwreck's Mustang Ranch, Tiki Lounge & Rib Shack. Keep up the good work (It's all downhill from here).

H

Seriously Nick, your magazine keeps on getting better and better, and extremely interesting needless to say.

L

On 2006-05-10 10:59, TikiSan wrote:

Does anyone have any info on this tiki from the back cover of Tiki mag in the ad for the Catalina event. Is it just an illustration, or does it physically exist as a ceramic piece or wood carving?

[ Edited by: TikiSan 2006-05-11 13:05 ]

yer kidding, rite?
ok. what skool o thot ya subscribe to?
"It's not 'tiki' unless it's ceramic or wood."

ok.
if yer not kidding, if ya really are interested, this goofy lookin thing is another copy of the soap on da rope and the tiki lighter design.

Pages: 1 15 replies