Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

It's Being Beat, and Being Low-Down in the World... Dig

Pages: 1 1 replies

B

Hi Everyone at Tiki Central,

I thought you all might like to check out the latest DUMB ANGEL blog:

http://dumbangelmag.blogspot.com/

This blog has a review and interview with Japanese girl trio, Mama Guitar, who cut it up on their new album like it’s 1963. Plus there’s some groovy exposition on why Jan & Dean’s 1966 POPSICLE album is so cool, and our recurring Balboa/Newport Beach theme is revisited for the third month in a row, with a review of the 1965 flick, LORD LOVE A DUCK, and a 1958 Stan Kenton jazz LP cut live at the Rendezvous Ballroom (where Dick Dale and the Beachboys played in 1961-62).

Lastly, Domenic Priore and myself put on a show in the Balboa/Newport area, at an old Beat Generation hangout called Sid’s Blue Beet. The show featured the Ghastly Ones, the Boardwalkers, a go-go dance troupe led by Kari French, and a folk music segment from Billy Hinsche (who played songs from the Dino, Desi & Billy psychedelic surf film soundtrack, FOLLOW ME). There are tons of cool pictures and graphics as always, so check it out. And if you like what you see, maybe you’ll leave us a comment at the bottom.

Take Care,
Brian Chidester

P.S. Next month's blog is going to be all about San Pedro and Ports o' Call. It will be our heaviest tiki themed blog to date. Stay tuned!

T

I always enjoy reading you blog. I can't wait for the next installment. I ordered a copy of the book Tales of Balboa after reading about it on dumbangelmag. I wish I cpuld have made it to the show, but I enjoyed seeing the pictures (and Audrey Moorehead!). Thanks!

Pages: 1 1 replies