Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

getting started carving necklace / pendants ? HOW?

Pages: 1 6 replies

Ok I Searched around and read through a bunch of tool ideas and such. Most of the threads talked about chisels, saws and bigger type items. I am looking to carve some samller, not super detail, necklace type tikis. Whats the best way to start?? - I plan on gathering driftwood from the salty atlantic ocean. Once I have something to carve what is the best way to hold it (Clamp - vice ect?) and the best tools? I have a dremel with a cord, should I get a different machine or go with hand tools? And then once things are figured out and I have a "finished" piece what is the best way to stain or preserve it? I'm not looking to spend lots but if needed I'd like to try to get a decent device to carve with whether its powered or hand and a good "holder" other than my hand. Thanks for any help in advance and if there is a tread I missed or could help, feel free to send me that way.

You have several options for carving small. Since you already have a dremel that may be your best bet. Get a flexshaft for it and some rotary bits - should cost only a few dollars (flexshaft is more $, but not much). For more detail simply use a knife (exacto, hook knife of carving tool), again these are fairly cheap. Another way is to use Palm Gouges (not the tree). The are small chisels designed for doing more detail oriented carving (about $20 for a beginner set). If your just starting I would also suggest a cutting glove or thumb cover - these are worth every penny because stitches will cost you more. The smaller the tiki sometimes the bigger the bite!

Finishing is whole other monster. Probably the best and easiet is Polyurethane. It cheap, easy and protects the wood best.

The most important part is to post pics!! Good Luck.

P

flexshaft for dremel $28

this is a great set from warren: Part Combi LJ - Carving Kit

get sanding sticks.

get a really thick piece of leather to carve on your lap. some people don't carve on their laps, but sometimes i forget and go there. one slip sent me to the hospital.

i usually carve the piece on the end of a piece of wood about 8" long. it gives me a handle until it's pretty far along. then i cut it off and finish off the bottom.

you might also want a small belt sander. $40 at harbour freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2485
i love it for rounding out the wood prior to carving. (most wood comes square.)

that's all i can think of right now.

B

Best thing to do is grab a piece of wood and a knife and start cutting. You will learn as you go. By the time you finish your first piece you will know a Lot of what to do and what Not to do.. Then you get Another piece of wood and start another one, and another and another and another...

If you have a dremel, you can start with that. Like Ben said - grab some wood and start carving. You don't need any special type of wood, scrap wood works great too.

Get the feel for how you carve with the dremel, then start adding to your collection once you start (you'll know what you want to add once you get started). The last thing you want to do is blow a bunch of money on stuff you won't use.

I don't use a vice for any of my carvings (big or small), but if you don't want to hold the piece in your hand, then a simple vice would work. I feel that I have better control of my carving (especially when carving pendants with the dremel) if I'm holding it. But that's just me.

Carve carve carve!

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-04-28 13:21 ]

Thanks for the help -I'll be looking for wood scraps and starting slow - but I really appreciate the posts. I have a digital camera so as I get going I'll post.
it might be a bit but it will happen!!!!
Thanks again!

Feel free for anyone else to add in here, these are all good things - I'm sure there are more minds to chime in sooner or later.

T

Here's the best link I've seen on the subject... from our own Benzart...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12743&forum=7

Pages: 1 6 replies