Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Finished carving, now what? Stain? Torch? Wax?

Pages: 1 3 replies

It's been hard searching through all the info here. But I'm almost done my first Tiki, picture coming soon. But what now? Do I stain? Do a use another type of finish? I've heard of wax, and even something to do with butter and a torch?! I just dont want to ruin my "first". So any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Mister Sparkle

Post pictures. Then we can offer suggections.

On 2006-04-28 09:32, Mister Sparkle wrote:

I just dont want to ruin my "first". So any help is appreciated.

Even without seeing your carving I can say this: Worry not! The only way to truly ruin your work is to chuck it into a roaring fine and leave it to the gods (which I, and others, have done). Light or dark (or no) stain, varnish, wax, polyurethane or bare and exposed to the direct, drying rays of the sun are all appropriate. That's what's SO much fun about this; no matter what you do, you'll get SOMETHING, and even if you don't like it in the end there's always the next one . . and the next one . . and the next one . .

ENJOY!

I recommend some of Basement Kahuna's™ patent-pending aging techniques. Unfortunately, I am avowed to share them with no one, or the Brotherhood of Coon-Tikiites will have my head!
Maybe BK can weigh in on this?

All I can say is, I like dirt, lots of dirt. And hand-rubbing. Rub it a lot. Yes, rub your carvings, too!

Pages: 1 3 replies