Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Shag Moatu Decanter Set

Pages: 1 28 replies

Aloha All,

I have a Shag Decanter Set that I picked up for "the one that shall go nameless" that he never paid me for.

My question is, do I sell it on ebay now before they are readily available? Or do I wait until they sell out and price rises as we have seen with the mugs?

Your input is appreciated.
Mahalo

M

Two options:

1. Sell it immediately before any others hit the market. Think of all the bidders who want one, but currently have no access to a set.

2. Wait until well after the initial dump of supply on Ebay and swarm of demand for the set. You will see many listed on Ebay right after the original buyers get theirs. Wait. I did this with my Shag mugs, but this option means postponing the sale by quite a bit.

Me? I like option #1: strike now....when folks have no other alternatives to your set.

midnite

S

Or you could sell it to a TC member...namely me!

Let me know the price and I can pay you today with Paypal.

T

If you like, try a silent auction here on TC. This way you could get a value and if you don't like the amount, then you could list it on eBay.

Tikirob

B

Mahalo to all...thanks for your responses. I have never sold anything on ebay before and am somewhat computer and time challenged.

I am not in a hurry to sell the item, but I am trying to build a better mug collection. I have a dozen common mugs. Not much luck in the thrift stores or garage sales around here.

The money would be used to purchase some of the rarer mugs, so maybe a silent auction would be good to try first because...

a} I like the idea of a TC member getting it
b} Maybe someone would trade money and/or cool mugs/bowls/menus/lamps/or? to add to my collection so I won't have to spend so much of my free time searching ebay

More comments and how would I do a silent auction?

Thanks

T

Two different auctions you could try:
A silent auction where you let members post so everyone could see the bids ( I believe Kokomo did this type auction not too long ago).
or...
A blind auction where a member privately emails you their bid.
Either way, you could set an opening bid, a time limit (say 3 days) and any other rules that you deem necessary.

Tikirob

A question for everyone -
What is the most you would be willing to pay for Moatu?

T

Well, we can watch the action and get an idea here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=747573535&rd=1

S

The most i'm willing to pay, and what it will sell for on ebay are 2 different things. People out there have much deeper pockets than I do.

T

If you want the most cash for it I'd advise you to put it on ebay sooner rather than later. Once all the "high roller" collectors have theirs the price might not go as high...I guess we'll see what happens with this auction.

Or if you want to sell it to a TC member, the silent auction I think is a great idea.

I was out of town and someone beat me to it. I will make my attempt at ebay sales when I get back next week....in the meantime we all will be watching this other auction...

Having looked at Kokomo's earlier TC auction the Blind Auction seems to be the way to go. No one wants to see each and every $1.00 bid increase ad nauseum....So If anyone wants to make an offer, go ahead and email me. I am having surgery next month and will be off work for several months so....Keep in mind that the reason I want to ebay is I will need the $$$...

But....if you have something reallllllly cool to offer I will think about it. Otherwise I will probably put it on ebay next Friday...

S

A couple more up now:

Here

And Here

S

The first auction has ended.....$255 and reserve was not met.

There have been A LOT more than 2 other Moatu auctions...Take a look...5 have ended already for prices ranging between $199 and $299.99...
http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&query=moatu&from=R8&ht=1&combine=y&st=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

And there are still two more Moatu auctions that have not ended...
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&query=moatu&from=R8&ht=1&combine=y&st=2

S

Ahh...I was not searching completed items. If you notice all those ended with "Buy it Now". They were listed and gone before I even noticed them.

There have been a lot of Moatu decanter sets posted. So far, this is the most it has gone for...$330...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=2150033630&rd=1

T

Are they even out in stores yet? I thought they only had a few at the launch party? I know Shagmart has put them off for a while.

I talked last week to a store in Northern California and they had no idea when they would come in. She said she would not set up a list to reserve one and when they came in she would put them on the shelf, first come first serve. Did not know how many she would get. She has been getting 5-10 calls per day for the past 2 months and said she will be glad when it's over and they are all sold.

My understanding was that Tiki Farm kept the first 100 "in house", and there was only 14 (#101-#115) at the bash. Don't know if the other 36 that were on a list got their's yet. So I guess any # over 151 would be from a retailer that was able to get a shipment.

The first 100 numbered sets are going to Shagmart. We shipped out today about 250 Moatu sets and about 75 Akuku sets. The rest will ship out in early Jan, 2003.
Holden

So any chance of Tiki Centralites purchasing without chasing them from store to store??? Or at least revealing which stores they are going to??? purty please, Holden, with many shots of rum and an ornate garnish on top?

I just got my Moatu in the mail today! Haha, everyone be jealous! :)

S

And AKUKU hits ebay...

M

On 2002-12-19 06:07, Futura Girl wrote:
So any chance of Tiki Centralites purchasing without chasing them from store to store??? Or at least revealing which stores they are going to??? purty please, Holden, with many shots of rum and an ornate garnish on top?

Let me be the first (I think) to reveal that there were FOUR sets available as of December 21st at:

"Bamboo2U"
Tiki superstore.
1240 N Coast Hwy 101 Encinitas CA 92024
760-943-6284

And...yes, they were priced at $149.

Let the mad dash begin.

-martin

I got MY set....

T

On 2002-12-30 21:38, PolynesianPop wrote:
I got MY set....

That's a big set! And a great photo, where did you get it?

Tikirob

I'm boycotting these Shag decanters.

I really don't see a reason for these decanters to be made in such a limited edition. Shag's popularity is through the roof and this set could easily sell twice the number being made, but by making the supply so limited (and not even selling them through either the Tiki Farm website or Shag's site), it just feels exploitive to me.

I'm cool with Munktiki and other Tiki Farm limited editions, because the designs are new and who wants to end up with a warehouse full of unsold mugs, but there is really no reason for the Shag decanters to be so hard to get and so limited.

It sure does feel good to rant!

:wink:

-Mike

That's a big set! And a great photo, where did you get it?

Tikirob, I took the photo myself at the Tiki Farm warehouse.

D

On 2002-12-31 11:58, TheMuggler wrote:
I'm boycotting these Shag decanters.

I really don't see a reason for these decanters to be made in such a limited edition

i see a little different perspective: having limited editions, helps the retailers who carry the Shag/Tiki Farm merchandise ~ to get people INTO their stores.

i love websales too, but the limited edition items gets ME out shopping for tiki ~ and i'm THRILLED when i find a little retailer, with a case of mugs ~ all at retail prices.

have a tikiriffic new year!
elicia

T

That's a big set!

Even without the picture some of us here on the list knew that Pop already had a BIG set on 'em! :wink:

[ Edited by: tikimug on 2003-01-01 11:33 ]

Pages: 1 28 replies