Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dolly Does Pele

Pages: 1 6 replies

Here's a YouTube clip from the 1988 Hawaiian episode of the Dolly Parton variety show. Thanks to ancient video post-production techniques, Dolly is miraculously transformed into Pele, Goddess of Fire! Watch her erupt from volcanoes while belting out the eponymous tune: a weird conglomeration of 80's synth-pop, country-western, and metal with a dollop of male chanting.

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

[ Edited by: MrBaliHai 2006-04-30 16:47 ]

That was VERY cool, thanks!!!!

Jeff

Excellent!

I'd love to see the entire episode...I'm thinkin' HeeHaw with tikis... :D

T

Thanks! That's great...I never figured two of my favorite cultural institutions would meld like that. Yes. Dolly Parton is a cultural institution.

Tekoteko

L

Ms. Parton nailed it. That IS exactly how Pele should be portrayed!
Thank you Dolly, for conveying Hawaiian culture to the masses.

TC

On 2006-05-01 19:32, tekoteko wrote:
Thanks! That's great...I never figured two of my favorite cultural institutions would meld like that. Yes. Dolly Parton is a cultural institution.

Tekoteko

I'm w/ you, man. Growin' up in rural north georgia in the 70s & 80s, dolly was the shit. i remember once when i was a little kid, my dad brought home a "dolly parton" birthday cake that his co-workers got for him. i can also remember my dad making a dolly parton figure in the sand on the beach during one of our florida vacations. i guess my dad had a thing for dolly.

mrbalihai, thanks so much for sharing that w/ us. i find it quite fitting that the queen of the smokey mnts would pay tribute to the goddess of the volcano.

utube is so frickin' incredible.

Pages: 1 6 replies