Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Announcing delay of Tiki Mod/Witco book publishing date

Pages: 1 11 replies

It is time to share some sad news: Unfortunately, I lost my in-official month-long struggle to make Taschen reverse their decision to delay the publication of my new Tiki Modern/Witco book from mid-August to mid-February 2007. They are too swamped and behind with projects, I believe, and although I have to admit that I am behind with finishing the text, the lay out is all done, and they could have pushed it through with much less of a delay. But they finally decided to delay til next year, even after listening to my numerous protests and arguments.

The good news is that they bought my lay out, and it will be the proven eye candy "horn of plenty" again. I am happy to say the book will definitely hold its own next to the Book of Tiki. Damn it would have been just the right kind of shot in the arm by this fall. Sigh.

I am sending this out to all of you from Munich, Germany, where I will film 'til the end of May. I am not asking for condolences, I just wanted to keep everyone updated. Have a blast at the Oasis, I'll be there in spirit-
Your bummed Sven

Hey, it'll be great whenever it comes out! Just let us know how we can get our auto'd copies.
Here's to you, Sven.

This sad news indeed. But there is a small silver lining here and that is that we may still be able to get that rare find before the masses realize what it is that they have.
Thanks for the update Sven.

what the hell- we waited this long, another year is not gonna kill us.....besides, it gives us more time to hoard witco and make a killing with it on ebay after the book comes out...

....oh, stop your crying about my shameless captalizing on a trend....a man's gotta drink. right!!

Hell ya!

What a bummer Bigbro,

Welcome to the not so perfect world of publishing, huh? I am sure it will be WELL worth the wait. At least it will be in time for Tiki Oasis 2007!!! Thanks for keeping us informed.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2006-04-30 13:10 ]

This is sad news but I have been finding about 1 big Witco tiki find per year so as others have mentioned, I don't mind getting some extra Witco hoarding time before the awesome book comes out.

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-30 16:48 ]

I liked the last horn of plenty, and I'm sure when this one does come out, it'll be just as good.

I was showing the BOT to some friends a while back, and they were amazed by the density of the illustrations. "The writer's a DP," I said, to which someone replied, "Ahhhh...an obsession with completeness and coverage."

Sven,

This will give you time to get the Beach Combing
( early tiki pop ) book together too!

It's all good Bro!

No worries, but not surprised. I was at a Border's yesterday and was amazed at the number of Taschen books I saw in different places.
Im sure they are definately swamped.

M

I was really looking forward to this book coming out finally. Its too bad Taschen isn't making it more of a priority. Hopefully this will be the last delay. I'd too would like to think that the silver lining would be that there's more time to find those coveted Witco treasures at discount prices. However, in my opinion those days are alread long gone (at least in Southern California). The Witco frenzy is in full effect. Every piece I find is priced rediculously high and every seller knows all about Witco now, even people who you'd never dream would have a clue about this stuff. Good luck Sven in completing the book...we'll be patiently waiting.

ModMana

TD

wink,wink. nudge, nudge. say no more ,say no more.

Pages: 1 11 replies