Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Wood Sculptures by J.S.G.

Pages: 1 19 replies

J
J.S.G. posted on Mon, May 1, 2006 7:38 PM

Hello,

Here are my first attempts at some sort of oceanic faces/masks...I've done masks before, the greenman and totem type masks.

It was a challenge for me to keep it primitive, simple, minimal. Alot of fun. I want to make more. These are experiments in finishing style and shapes.

My first one is to the left.

Also a close up of my tribute to van gogh, cedar.

[ Edited by: J.S.G. 2007-01-25 17:30 ]

M
Moki posted on Mon, May 1, 2006 7:48 PM

Wow!! Impressive. Keep up the good work.

C

great looking stuff on your website...the masks are nice too.

B

J.S.G., excellent masks, but the VanGogh, is Outta this world awesome. Welcome to Tiki Central too.

good stuff. You coming to the Tiki Kon NW Crawl?

On 2006-05-01 20:18, Benzart wrote:
J.S.G., excellent masks, but the VanGogh, is Outta this world awesome. Welcome to Tiki Central too.

Cheers J.S.G.!

p.s. don't be gettin' all wacky and try to cut off your ear with that chain saw now...

Awesome!

DAYUUUUMMM! That big piece is superb. Welcome to TC!

Welcome, J.S.G.! That is an eyeful. What will you come up with after fully sucumbing to the tiki bug? Can't wait to see! Stick around, please!

A-A

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 2, 2006 6:18 AM

Awesome stuff. How about creating a tiki piece like that Van Gogh piece? I'm thinking like a nice tropical scene with palms and a volcano, or a homage to a tiki art piece of your choice. Cool stuff.

J
J.S.G. posted on Tue, May 2, 2006 9:59 AM

Thanks for the kind comments... and thanks for the welcome Benzart.

Don't worry Rev. BamBoo, I'll keep the saw away from my ear...but I must admit, I did nick my big toe once. That'll teach me to carve with a dull saw in flip flops...Yikes!

Hewey, good ideas. Van Gogh masks. You know, I did a small mural of volcanos, palm trees, and water. Not in the Van Gogh style. I have an affinity for volcanos, being born near one (Mt. Pinatubo) and the celebration of the Mt. St Helens blast coincides with my birthday (may 18)...and going to the Big Island, I slept on Pele's cool downed lava rocks one night.

Love all this tropical stuff, and carving the masks, stirred a deep emotion in me (being born in a tropical place).

Aloha, welcome to TC. You're stuff is amazing, I sure hope ya stay a while! I'd definately like to see more stuff from ya.
I'm still trying to figure how you got such a square hunk of wood for the Van Gogh!!

J

Welcome aboard. The Van Gogh tribute is wonderful. Van Gogh and chainsaws ---can't go wrong with that. I am assuming you have more to show us unless you are a natural and the tribute piece was your first.
JP

L
Loki posted on Tue, May 2, 2006 12:28 PM

If I'm not mistaken, you wrote a book called Art of Chainsaw Carving documenting chainsaw carving pioneers? Really nice work. I always appreciate you chainsaw carvers. I have a hard time just splitting a long in half. :wink:.

Looking forward to seeing more of you wonderful art.

J
J.S.G. posted on Tue, May 2, 2006 8:00 PM

On 2006-05-01 20:19, Jungle Trader wrote:
good stuff. You coming to the Tiki Kon NW Crawl?

I wish. I'll be in California then. Maybe next year!

On 2006-05-02 11:48, surfintiki wrote:
I'm still trying to figure how you got such a square hunk of wood for the Van Gogh!!

I slabbed up a cedar log then joined them together on a plywood backing. I added the tree / bush. So it's 3 pieces of wood. The crack is where the wood shrunk apart (it was still green when I laminated it together) No problem, I'll just take a slice of wood to repair it, then carve the grain again, to hide the seam.

On 2006-05-02 12:28, Loki wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, you wrote a book called Art of Chainsaw Carving documenting chainsaw carving pioneers?

Yep, what a project!

[ Edited by: J.S.G. 2006-05-02 20:03 ]

J

one of the cone volcano heads in the finished stage, with some oil on it.

Wow! Nice pieces JSG. The masks are really cool and the Van Gogh is outta site.

ST

J

carved this one last week...gave it to my sister. not very tikish, I was aiming for oceanic...looks african. my sister liked it, she says it goes with their decor, which is funky, islandic, cool mo, original.

J

THE EYE 'N' I OF THE STORM EXHIBITION

Hello All! It's been awhile... looks like alls well here. I've been busy... there is an exhibit of my woodcarvings, it's only another week... if you happen to live in northern humboldt check it out, otherwise, you can see some pictures here.

http://revolution.groeschen.com/2007/01/22/eye-n-i-of-the-storm--the-exhibit.aspx

have a good one!! peace Jessie

J

sorry about the confusion of the two topics eye 'n' I. been awhile since I posted, wanted to keep the chain of events of the evolution of the revolution of my world here... in tiki land.

Wow!! The 'Starry Night' is just fantastic! (posted before I joined). My hat is off to you...

T3

Pages: 1 19 replies