Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Tennessee ( lotsa pics)

Pages: 1 13 replies

A
Al-ii posted on Mon, May 1, 2006 7:39 PM

I'm visiting Tennessee this week and I thought I'd share some pictures. So far I've visited two Civil War Battle fields, Tunica Mississippi, a farm, Memphis, Jackson, Shilo and all the Elvis stuff.

I love this, In California there are no Highways named for pickax-handle wielding lawmen hellbent for payback

Faulkner said of Memphis: "Memphis aint a bad town, for them that like city life." pic taken on Beale St

Graceland, Elvis's house

Elvis's lion

Elvis's guns

Elvis's family. Pricilla was pretty

Elvis's Ceramic Afghan

My worst nightmare, I'm in the Jungle Room, I can't use my flash, and Gaceland is backlit like a motherfucker

There is a bar in every room at graceland

El Tigre es muy macho, es que guapo, es que hombre

ever notice Elvis and Jesus dress alike? ever see them in the same room together? ever wonder why not?

Sun Records, where the magic happened

Yes that picture is of Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Elvis and Johny Cash Recording together. Notice the Rockabilly Guy, He was ready to cry. Sweet Pea you out there sugar?

Carl Perkins house in Jackson
Anyone up for the Omni Hut this week?
let me know

Elvis has ....well you know

[ Edited by: Al-ii 2006-05-01 19:50 ]

T
thejab posted on Mon, May 1, 2006 9:14 PM

Shucks Al! I arrive in Memphis on Monday! Omni Hut on May 12th.! We missed each other by a week. Can't wait to go to Memphis again.

A
Al-ii posted on Tue, May 2, 2006 4:08 AM

THAT SUCKS!!!! next time Jabbo
Mahalo,
Al

S
Swanky posted on Tue, May 2, 2006 6:57 AM

Tell Polly I said 'hi' at the Omni Hut. Last I was there on a Saturday, I could not even find a parking place! When in Nashville on Lower Broad, go to the Bluegrass Inn. That was where all the 'billies hung out before and BR549 played as house band under the name "Hillbilly Allstars." Robert's is more well known, but The Bluegrass is where the action is. No cover in Nashville, but they do expect you to tip the band.

T

On 2006-05-02 06:57, Swanky wrote:
Tell Polly I said 'hi' at the Omni Hut. Last I was there on a Saturday, I could not even find a parking place! When in Nashville on Lower Broad, go to the Bluegrass Inn. That was where all the 'billies hung out before and BR549 played as house band under the name "Hillbilly Allstars." Robert's is more well known, but The Bluegrass is where the action is. No cover in Nashville, but they do expect you to tip the band.

Last year I went to the Omni Hut and mentioned you. Polly gave me the royal treatment!

I loved Robert's last year. It was touristy, but in a good way - everyone was real polite and friendly, and all had a great time. I'll check out the Bluegrass Inn.

Thanks for the tips!

P
pdrake posted on Tue, May 2, 2006 1:07 PM

how was the farm? did they have cows?

On 2006-05-01 19:39, Al-ii wrote:

My worst nightmare, I'm in the Jungle Room, I can't use my flash, and Gaceland is backlit like a motherfucker

I have that same, exact green ceramic ashtray sitting on Elvis's Jungle Room coffee table on my bar at home (no shit).

T

What about Dollywood? Surely you won't spend a week in TN without going to Dollywood!

P
pablus posted on Thu, May 4, 2006 6:19 PM

I think Kick the Reverb can back me up on this, but right near the Golan/Globus film studios outside Jerusalem, is an Elvis museum with 2 giant statues of Elvis. Younger and older Elvis. I think there may be another one too.

It has music and ashtrays and shirts and all that clap.

Weird.

shit, i went to israel and missed the 2 giant elvis statues? :(

S
Swanky posted on Fri, May 5, 2006 6:26 AM

On 2006-05-04 18:17, Traderpup wrote:
What about Dollywood? Surely you won't spend a week in TN without going to Dollywood!

Well, if they get this far, they need to ring me up for a visit!

S

If I can find the scanner, I'll post pics of me singin on that microphone at Sun!!!!
Been to Graceland twice!!! Even stayed at Heartbreak Hotel
and had some amazing BBQ down on Beale st.
Did you happen to to go to a restaurant called Elvis Presley's?
I think it closed a little while ago, but my friends from Tacoma(just south of seattle) used to be the house band, and were absolutely amazing!
Did you happen to hit Mud Island? That was a pretty cool place!

As fer Nashville, Swanky's right about Jim and Layla's Bluegrass, damn, I love that place! The bartenders always know what I drink when I go there. Usually I get to run around the bar with the tip jars for the band. One night was running back and forth from the Bluegrass where The Starlight Drifters were playing, over to Wolfies where The Twistin Tarantulas were! wheeeee.
And NashVegas was the only place I've been at a parade where they tossed out moon pies! hahahaa
sheesh, I need a trip to the South again.
PEa

S

PS, fun shopping at Katy K's too! And getting to try amazing outfits on at Manuel's!

S

FOUND IT!

Pages: 1 13 replies