Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Poor Man's Tiki Oasis, at Forbidden Island

Pages: 1 19 replies

H

Some of us sad sacks up north can't make it to Oasis this year, for a variety of reasons -- in the case of Hanford and I, work is getting in the way, and for Martin, owning a new tiki bar is getting in the way. We'll be drowning our sorrows together at Forbidden Island on Friday & Saturday night, and possibly Thursday, and maybe Sunday, and of course definitely Wednesday. If you're also having to miss out on the Oasis festivities, come join us!

And if you're at Oasis, have a wonderful time -- there's so much tiki to be had in San Diego, much of it right at the Hanalei, it's sure to be great. I hate to be missing it. Call us from the room parties to make us feel better (or worse)!

At least you have Forbidden Island......

TT

I am soo bummed that we can't go this year as it would have been year 4 for the misses and myself. We also can't go to Forbidden Island as we live in Minnesota. I can go anywhere in my mind so I guess that is what I'll have to do. Have fun everyone in San Diego and at the F. Island.

We are planning on going to Tiki Oasis but won't be leaving the Bay Area until Friday morning. We will be staying in Oakland Thursday night at a park n fly hotel, but will definitely be at FI on Thursday night for drinks and a bon voyage. Hope to see you there!

P

ARGHHHH!

No Hanford? No Humuhumu? No Martiki? NO UNGA BUNGA?!

And no Caliente Tropics. DAMN! Well, I think I'll have a good time anyway, but y'all are really going to be missed.

cleen and i hope to make out to FI to wash away our LOOB (lack of oasis blues). hope to see you guys there!

On 2006-05-02 16:02, PiPhiRho wrote:
ARGHHHH!

No Hanford? No Humuhumu? No Martiki? NO UNGA BUNGA?!

And no Caliente Tropics. DAMN! Well, I think I'll have a good time anyway, but y'all are really going to be missed.

PiPhiRho,
You better be going to Hukilau. Big 50!

MT

On 2006-05-02 22:28, the drunken hat wrote:
cleen and i hope to make out to FI to wash away our LOOB (lack of oasis blues). hope to see you guys there!

I'm flying out for a work type convention on Wed morning, but I hope to wash up on the shore of a certain Forbidden Island on Friday evening, to partake in the washing away of LOOB festivities.

S
seamus posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 8:03 AM

We are very sad to not be making it to Oasis as well, but I don't feel quite as bad now that I see I'm not the only one. If there was any way we could pop down to the bay area for the weekend, we would love to drown our sorrows in such good company. But, with our house for sale, and gearing up for yet another move, much too much work is the reason we can't leave. This time we're leaving the coast, and heading for the bright lights of Portland. We'll barely be settled before the NW Tiki Kon, and I'm gonna try to be ready for vending there. I hope you all have a great time!

T

On 2006-05-02 22:28, the drunken hat wrote:

When? Tonight? Sad Jab if you don't come tonight as I'll be out of town this weekend.

Come witness my completion of the entire drink menu tonight!

Seamus!?! Seamus Who? Just kiddin' man, Hey good to see your name pop up I was hopin' to see ya in SD. Bummer to see so many of Nor Cal crew are gonna be missin' Who is going to help me keep Poly Pop in line? I will be uploading my pics throughout the weekend. So if you want to see what you poor saps are missin', keep your eye peeled for my post in CA tiki Events.
Really wish y'all could make it.

See you at the Forrbidden Isand one of these days,
Chongolio

M

this is martiki...coming to you live from "Noasis 2006" at FI.

Come on down and see the drunken hat, tikicleen, tiki hula & alia, the midnites, hanfumu, mai tai & maria, and many more at the hottest spot on the island.

Featuring...um...well...booze. lots of it. in really tasty drinks!

mahalo!

T

What a nui nui time last night- great conversation, food, and drinks (of course)
Midnite Tiki- great to see you guys again!

Maria, the Midnites, Alia (my honey), me, the drunken hat, TikiCleen, and Mai Tai

M

Who wants to travel afar when a reasonably quick trip gets you to Forbidden Island? Well, I better get out of town soon or my tabs at FI are going to get Student Loan-sized! I'll probably be black-balled before that happens. Mr. Martin says I am under double secret "FI probation".

A second trip to Isle de Alameda and what a fine time it was, indeed. Special surprise to see Tiki Hula and Alia, along with the far-traveling Drunken Hat and Tiki Cleen. The hat knows his drinks and is a fine resource for rum and other cocktail information. Very nice to meet Maria and to spend some bar talk time with Mai Tai, although without the fez..it's not the same Mai Tai experience. Was that Humu and HL...?

We departed the friendly confines of Forbidden Island at around 10pm, I'm old and do need my rest...and there was a line at the door. Another packed room for FI, good to see. People are ordering the menu cocktails and they are having fun doing so. Some simple, unscientific, market research found quite a few satisfied patrons, and they're not all "tiki" patrons. People are liking the drinks, a lot. I watched Sonya artfully, but very quickly, mixing up many many menu drinks.

More candid pics of the fine cocktails available nightly at Forbidden Island. Clockwise, from top left: Sidewinder's Fang, a real midnite fave, you must try it!; Don's Daiquiri, light, refreshing, and classic; Royal Hawaiian; Captain's Grog OH MY! It's my new fave; Mike and Alia showcasing a Banana Mamacow and Leilani Volcano; TikiCleen with a Pirate's Grog (Arrrrr!); a sublime China Clipper.

The China Clipper is superb, packing a flavor punch in a small package. Wow, it is really quite nice. Great drink to start the evening. I give it a strong recommendation...to anyone within shouting distance of my bar stool. However, the Captain's Grog is a must, simply a must have. It is my favorite new drink at Forbidden Island. Per the owner's suggestion I tried it...and loved it....and not just because I'm Cpt. Midnite.

On a non-cocktail note: Crab Rangoon. I know many have tried this tidbit treat at Vic's or other locales. The Forbidden Island Crab Rangoon is excellent. Don't be shy, give it a try. If you like Crab Rangoon, you gonna love their stuff.

A nice evening of fine cocktails and good company at Forbdidden Island...what more you want?

Willard Midnite...Forbidden Island irregular

ST

Whoa!

You guys really make this place sound tempting....Looks like I will be heading out to your neighborhood for a week of R-n-R about mid October (company retreat). There are several haunts I'd like to check out while there...boss prefers golf,...me? Give a me the warm sun, a sweet rum drink in a cool sweaty tiki, surround me with friends, and let the night become morning...(minus the foggy head)...ugh.

I believe that we were outside of Alameada last year..and I think we're supposed to be going back to the same place. I'll have to check and be sure though.

Swamp

[ Edited by: Swamp Tiki 2006-05-07 19:02 ]

M

I am glad you guys were able to march forward and do your best to have a good time without me. My main fear when I realized I couldn't go was "will my friends be bored without me?!?!"
I checked out Mickie Finz in Vegas.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5929&forum=18&hilite=tiki%20vegas

It ain't no Forbidden Island, but it did have TikiDiablo carvings ZAZZ!

well now I don't feel so out of the loop knowing that so many of my dear Tiki Central friends did not make the Oasis either.

I had hoped to be performing with the Martini Kings again this year, but alas it was not to be. But I am actually working on a fun project right now (between touring,and writing). I am helping my cousin and her husband restore a 1960s tiki house in Las Vegas!

Maybe next year Otto will consider Las Vegas for an Oasis Venue? Perhaps the Tropicana before it is torn down :( Or the Fun City - while not tiki - has a pretty nice intimate pool area.

In any case. H2 I had a whole box of garmets for your release unto the wild - so I will just hold onto to them for next year!

Cheers!
~CC

ST

If you need the services of an architectural historian/Preservation Speciaist, holler.

Swamp

CL

Mr. Smiley,

Mickie Finnz looks great! TikiDiablo's carvings ARE ZAZZ!

You were missed. But we trudged on without you...though it was tough. :P

After lamenting over our sorry state of no Tiki Oasis...Mai Tai and I moved on and had a great time at NOASIS. It was a fun evening...especially since we were able to spend time with so many friends. Sonya and Jim's wonderful preparations of Martiki's beverages were superb as usual. Fun evening.

Looking forward to next years actual "Oasis"...:)

M

Thanks to everyone who helped make Noasis 2006 a roaring success at FI.

And a special tip-o-the-beachcomer-hat to FI's able team of volunteer doorpersons: Hat n Cleen, Hanferd, and the mighty Mai Tai. Couldn't do it without you, especially with the nasty cold I had that night.

Mahalo!

Pages: 1 19 replies