Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Martini Kings leave derby and looking for a new TIKI home. any ideas??

Pages: 1 15 replies

aloha! after spending the last year at the derby,(every monday)the martini kings have opted to move on and find a new location for their brand of lounge/exotica and tiki.
we've enjoyed playing and hosting mondays but are now looking for a new venue to call home. seems the old home concepts are really getting watered down due to new owners.
especially looking for a smallish, tiki decor and all around good vibe people and place.
if anyone has any cool ideas of places that would be right for us to play.
preferably a retro swanky lounge with tiki decor and good drinks!
someplace also that would appreciate our brand of lounge, tiki and exotica music.
thanks for the tips and see you at tiki oasis.
tony
http://www.martinikings.net

H

Right now, your best bets are probably the Purple Orchid in El Segundo and Lava Lounge in Hollywood. Once the Lucky Tiki moves to its new location in North Hollywood, they'll have enough room for live acts -- that's happening around October. Good luck!

I 2nd Humuhumu's recomendations.

Of course it would be great to see/hear you in the Tiki Ti, as the trucker rock they usually play is the only down side of
the experience of going there. But Unfortunetly they can't have live music there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

How bout trying the "Puka Bar" in Long Beach I know it has plenty of room. I don't know about The "Voodoo Room" in West Hollywood but I hear thats a place is cool too. I am looking forward to seeing you guys again at Tiki Oasis.
Later,
Spermy

Oh yeah, I haven't been there, but I hear the Voodoo Room is the bomb. I bet it would be a great place to play at.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Do a one nighter at the Royal Hawaiian in Laguna Beach before it closes!

How about a monthly Bali Hai performance (which you could probably secure after the owner sees you play at Oasis)...

Ran

T

How about the Bigfoot Lodge? I know they have had live music on Sundays in the past. There's also Saints and Sinners in Culver City, but they have not offered live music that I'm aware of.

Any Updates or Leads to go on Tony?
After hearing that you guys have been playing for the past year on mondays. I'm very Bummed I missed those.
Hope you find a new home, or even a once a month gig at a real nice place like Bali Hai or something similar.

I Had one cd form last years Tiki Oasis, I liked it so much I bought the other 5 last weekend.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-05-13 18:52 ]

On 2006-05-03 08:09, kick_the_reverb wrote:
How about a monthly Bali Hai performance (which you could probably secure after the owner sees you play at Oasis)...

Ran

Ran is a genius! Come on guys that would be awesome! I'd never miss a show (since I'm there anyway) Maybe Cobain from Tikiland and I could sponsor advertising and make it a real monthly "event" downatairs in the ballroom ("The Lyman Room" as I call it) and lugg in some big tikis and mood lighting... hmmmmmmm?

Shit if that happened, I'd drive down form OC to see that.
Of course I'd have to take out a loan to pay for gas. but it'd be worth it. But Ran has to Bar tend at the Bali Hai. :)
Not that there driks weren't ok, but....

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-05-13 18:52 ]

Bump! Martini Kings, have you found a new home yet?

I know its not Tiki, not even polynesian - but I think yoou fit perfectly at La Creperie in Belmont Shore. Your the perfect band to cultivate a later night cocktail atmosphere. But..... that said i'd still like to see you in a Tiki Lounge. As for the Pukah Bar - its a great place but in a very bad part of town, watch the LA news or read the LA newspapers - Long Beach is having a big big late night safety problem ie. gangs, drivebys - even in the "safe" areas. Sorry, to interject that - but I think of you all as good friends

Howz about the Voodoo Room or Tonga Hut for thier Fri. or Sat. tiki central nights?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2006-05-13 08:47, hodadhank wrote:

On 2006-05-03 08:09, kick_the_reverb wrote:

Ran is a genius! Come on guys that would be awesome! I'd never miss a show (since I'm there anyway) Maybe Cobain from Tikiland and I could sponsor advertising and make it a real monthly "event" downatairs in the ballroom ("The Lyman Room" as I call it) and lugg in some big tikis and mood lighting... hmmmmmmm?

DING, DING, DING!! I agree.

Monsoon in Santa Monica.

Exotic tropical, if not necessarily tiki.

Pages: 1 15 replies