Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Bacardi Mai Tai

Pages: 1 8 replies

RR

Has anyone tried the pre-made Bacardi Mai Tai mix? It is 40 proof. Does it taste anything like a Mai Tai or does it taste like high-fructose corn syrup?

G

Never tried it. But then again, I won't let a mix into my house.

R

Out of sheer curiosity at spotting a new "mix" on the shelf, I tried it. It's yellow and actually tastes more... sort of melon-ish than anything else. The booze is already in it, so it's supposedly ready to drink, but the flavor wasn't appealing enough to me or my girl to ever want to buy it again. Naturally it's nowhere near a true mai tai in color, flavor, consistency, etc. Would not recommend it really.

Cheers,
Rupe

RR

I figured it would be c**p. I just didn't see a thread on it.

Hi there:

I had a friend who made a mai tai for me last week. As I didn't want to go through the trouble of making one myself with so many ingredients, I sought one that is already made.

That's where I found the Bacardi Mai Tai, already blended. As I didn't think that it could add up to the mai tais made in Hawaii and the one that my friend made for me, I wasn't surprised to see a couple of posts that not complimentary towards the Bacardi version.

Maybe Beverages and More might have something else. :)

[ Edited by: william5419 2008-11-03 08:05 ]

P

I have never tried the Bacardi pre-mixed Mai Tai. I would bet that it is not a real mai tai, just something bacardi is calling a mai tai. I have tried the bacardi Zombie. It's blue. It is definitely not a Zombie. It's also pretty terrible. I would expect nothing more from the mai tai.

I searched BevMo, and sought advice on whose Mai Tai is better, blended: Bacardi or Trader Vic's. My friend said that Trader Vic's is a little better tasting than Bacardi.

So I went to BevMo and bought a 750ML bottle of Trader Vic's, and it wasn't bad. I felt that Trader Vic's is more of a Hawaiian-like than Bacardi's.

Not every pre-mixed Mai Tai is perfect to one's tasting.

[ Edited by: william5419 2008-11-03 08:04 ]

If Trader Vics can't get it right, then I'm guessing no one can (bottled mix, that is).

TG

I suppose that it's possible for some company to get it right. But if the list of ingredients bears no resemblance to what's in a Mai Tai, what hope is there?

Pages: 1 8 replies