Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

TV Luaus: Pee Wee and SCTV

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

In perhaps the clearest sign yet that I've become totally obsessive in my dotage, I recently began scouring my home DVD and video collection for any and all traces of Polynesian Pop. So far, I've turned up the following 2 clips which I've uploaded to YouTube for your viewing pleasure.

Here's part of the Luau For Two episode of Pee Wee's Playhouse, a show that was always on the cutting edge of retrofetishism. Pee Wee wins dinner for 2 at a Hawaiian restaurant, but when ALL the Playhouse gang wants to go, he turns to Jambi the Genie, who grants his wish by converting the entire Playhouse into a giant Luau. Long Live Jambi!

Polynesiantown, an intentionally lame parody of the film Chinatown, appeared as a 1981 Movie of the Week on SCTV, and stars perennial celebrity loser, Johnny LaRue (John Candy), as the proprietor of Johnny LaRue's Luau Room, a Polynesian restaurant/nightclub that serves up bad entertainment and poisonous food. Dr. John appears as himself. Don't eat the Molokai Ribs!

TT

I love SCTV-greatest comedy show ever. I have always planed on naming my home bar (once it is done)after that great episode. The show hasn't aged as well as I hoped but it does bring back great memories.

If you listen carefully to the background music on that "Pee-wee" episode, you can jear Jambi repeatedly chanting "mekka-lekka-hi, mekka-hiney-ho." 8)

Where was Lawrence Fishburne (aka Cowboy Curtis)?

On 2006-05-04 10:47, cynfulcynner wrote:
If you listen carefully to the background music on that "Pee-wee" episode, you can jear Jambi repeatedly chanting "mekka-lekka-hi, mekka-hiney-ho." 8)

The ants playing the ukulele and hula-ing around the volcano are singing that as well.

Where was Lawrence Fishburne (aka Cowboy Curtis)?

He'd been liberated from the Playhouse Matrix in an earlier episode...:wink:

T

"That's an expensive CRANE SHOT!!!!!"

H

Polynesiantown!!!!! So great Thank you! I just watched Chinatown this morning... I wish I could see it all the way to the end.

I was digging "Happy Talk" way more than Dr. John...does that make me a freak?

M

On 2006-05-06 12:04, Basement Kahuna wrote:
I was digging "Happy Talk" way more than Dr. John...does that make me a freak?

I thought Andrea Martin looked really hot in that muu-muu.

We both need help.

M
marika posted on Sat, May 6, 2006 2:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1HgDUrQ5us

in this episode with Dolly Parton you see a big tiki pole in Pee Wee's house I don't know if it was always in the show.

On 2006-05-06 14:09, marika wrote:
in this episode with Dolly Parton you see a big tiki pole in Pee Wee's house I don't know if it was always in the show.

It was always there, if I recall. I watched the show just about every single week.

the SCTV Polynesiantown episode has been reuploaded on YouTube - starting at 20:42 and resuming at 43:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDhEJ-dgmc0&feature=youtu.be&t=20m42s

Aloha Johnny Dollar,

Thnx fer da tip...

is that u?

On 2006-05-06 14:09, marika wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1HgDUrQ5us

The playhouse was redone at the beginning of season 2 when the show moved to a new studio. I don't believe the tiki pole by the door of the playhouse was in season 1.

Don't eat the ribs! I love SCTV!

Pages: 1 13 replies