Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis?

Pages: 1 32 replies

Any new news on the Tiki Oasisssss?

yeah, be there! As far as I know it is still on.

M
mig posted on Tue, Dec 10, 2002 4:23 PM

According to verbal report from the Don (aka O.vS) it is going to be Mother's Day weekend, in May. Which also happens to be my bday weekend...

you dont wnt to get Oasis and Tiki together we all Know where that leads ! :wink:

A

We have reserved Room 135 for that weekend. We're looking forward to it. See you out there.
Mahalo,
Al

T

Aloha to all!

I spoke with the friendly natives that run the Caliente around mid-December.

They indicate that the Mother's Day weekend has not been finalized and there was not a commitment from the organizer(s) just yet.

I also got an email a week later (about 12-20)promoting discounted rooms for January. I emailed back and asked about the date and was told again that the final commitment had not been made.

If anyone has any more updated info please let us know.

Balmy regards,

Tiki Bob

[ Edited by: tikibob on 2002-12-26 08:24 ]

Otto is in town (LA) for the Holidays and I am going to meet him for his birthday on Saturday and hopefully be able to discuss and clarify the situation. I know that from OUR side we are committed and set to go ahead with the event on Mother's Day weekend.
More after that....

pretty pretty please move closer to the 31st. I'm heading to Hawai'i (yayayayayayayayay!!!!!!!) for a wedding and it'll be my chance to swing by So. Ca. (I can't fly out from NYC twice)
Plus, Mom will be so much happier.

OS

it would be so great if it wasn't on the mother's day weekend due to the fact that well i am married to a mother. "hey honey spend the mother's day with just the kids, i am off to one of those tiki fests"

i don't think that will go over and since she is not into the scene, then i can't bring her along. uh is there something we can work out. please?

F

We had the discussion about the Mother's Day weekend date already. Most respondents were okay with it, so I think it is probably the date that will stick.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-01-02 17:35 ]

DZ

I'm probably the only one of us that Mother's Day weekend is PERFECT for because my Mom wants to go!! (if you met my Mom at Trader Vic's on his b-day you'd understand ...)

F

Your mom's going? Very cool. She'll love it and she fits right in!

Otto talked to Casey, and just sent this official pre-announcement out:

Tiki Oasis III
Mothers Day Weekend, May 9 - 11
Palm Springs, CA

You all know this event or know of it by now

The format will be the same but there will be changes in the way
tickets are sold and the amount of tickets sold.
No one will be turned away regardless of what hotel you stay at or if
you drive in for the day.
Educational slide show by Sven-Tiki on Saturday night, bands on
Friday and Saturday night, live DJs all three days, poolside bar, all
at the fully restored caliente tropics hotel.

Any info how a band might submit for consideration to perform?

Thanks!

M

On 2003-01-06 12:40, bigbrotiki wrote:
Otto talked to Casey, and just sent this official pre-announcement out:

Any word on when we will be able to make reservations?

-martin

Just ask Otto directly at [email protected]

M
mig posted on Fri, Jan 10, 2003 11:33 AM

According to an email communique from Otto today: do NOT call Caliente Tropics to ask about this, it's all being worked out by Otto.

Reservations will begin sometime after Feb. 1, and will be available only through the Internet.

Full details will be posted here shortly I imagine, as soon as anybody hears word... I hope the Caliente Tropics's website is ready to handle the onslaught. :)

-mig
(whose mom also wants to come)

We are bringing our children as always.
So come on TIKI Centralites, don't be whimps.
If you have kids share the joy of TIKI and bring them. We can work out group daycare.
Daughter 10 and Son 12. We can bring game cube and movies, and a shit load of beach balls.

M

I just found out that I have to do inventory that weekend, so no Palm Springs for me this year!! Damn.

*mrsmiley wrote:*I just found out that I have to do inventory that weekend, so no Palm Springs for me this year!! Damn.

INVENTORY? Did you say INVENTORY?
OK, we know you've got TONS of Smiley Faces! No need to count. Just get your smilin' butt over to Palm Springs!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Bax, since I don't have any kids of my own, do you know where I can get some to bring? I don't want to feel left out.

Mr. Smiley's boss is clearly not receptive to the Tiki spirit.

Whoever heard of inventory in JUNE anyway? 'Scuse me, I thought that's what we do in JANUARY. You know, when no one's going on VACATION.

We must think of a way to get him out of there w/o losing him his job--some "freedom of religion" type issue perhaps? (Like orthodox Jews not working on Saturdays, that sort of thing.)

Surely there should be no enforced toiling tolerated on sacred Tiki holidays!

[ Edited by: tikivixen on 2003-01-15 01:52 ]

[ Edited by: tikivixen on 2003-01-15 01:53 ]

Lucky, I'm sure Bong will let you bring his kids, because he is to much of a wimp to bring them anywhere anyway! You know if I had not seen pictures I would have thought he was lying about having kids.

Vixen if you show up in june you will have missed everything. "MOTHER'S DAY"

Isn't Palm Springs like in the 60's in May? Bax, you got any of those inndustrial heat lamps to warm up the poolside? I'm bummed it's not gonna be 107! Now I'm gonna have to wear a shirt and I'll have no excuse to give stuff away!

D

May is still a crapshoot for Palm Springs, one day it might be in high the 90's, the next it could be 60....May seems a little early still, I prefer the blazin' hot Palm Springs.

M

Mothers Day isn't a problem for me time-wise, but the fact that Caliente Tropics is still in high season rates is. I know Otto is trying to talk them down to a reasonable package rate, so fingers crossed.

-martin

Erk, high season rates. Let's wish Otto luck. When does their "off-season" begin? June 1st?

Yah, I did know it was May. But it's a symptom of aging for me that I think one word and write (or say) another...

Maybe I'll bring my goddaughter. As an fanatical fan of SpongeBob, she is already considerably into Tiki at the tender age of three.

[ Edited by: Mrs. Bamboo Ben on 2003-01-15 20:59 ]

Looks like a bad weekend for Sabu and I. I will be en route to LA, for good this time. So Sabu and I will have an entourage of trucks moving Me to the south Bay area for GOOD!! Yippee!!!! More Tiki events for me!

See my Big News @ http://www.geocities.com/tinkerpr/AboutMe.html

T

Aloha Tikis of the Central-types!

So does anyone have updated information on making reservations at the Tropics?

Do we know if the official date of 2/1 is when their site will have the info?

Mahalos, etc.

Tiki Bob

Planning on attending. Thought Feb 1st was the reservation date via the web?

[ Edited by: TheTikiGuy on 2003-01-29 22:44 ]

The official word I got was Feb. 1st "OR"
(this is the hard part)beyond.
Can someone please be more vague(sp)?

T

May is supposed to be "in season" from what I understand and the rooms are going to be more than last June.

Anyone heard anything on what the rate will be?

TB

Pages: 1 32 replies