Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

I am considering selling my "The Tikis" mug

Pages: 1 3 replies

I have one mug from "The Tikis" in Monterey Park and am considering selling it, anyone interested? It has been in my family for a while, since 1970 or thereabouts. It is a little dusty and I may clean it up soon and photograph it...

[ Edited by: procinema29 2006-05-08 08:33 ]

Here's a couple of pictures of it...the first two are can be viewed in 3D if you have red/blue glasses......oh, and here's an interesting detail, I think. See the second picture? There are some curtains and the suggestion of a window in the background. If you were to look out that window, you would see a house situated across the street--a house that sits on the edge of a hill that overlooked Danny Balsz's "The Tikis" club (back when the club existed, that is).

I still lament the fact that I never got to see The Tikis, although every weekend we would hear the drums pounding loud, long into the night. And if you looked down from the top of the hill, you could see flickers of firelight coming from down there!

[ Edited by: procinema29 2006-05-08 11:51 ]

Ha! That's like me moving to LA in 1981, and living off Highland Ave on Camrose, just up the street from the original Hollywood "Don The Beachcomber" for several years, driving by it, AND NEVER GOING IN, because I did not know about Tiki and Polynesian Pop then...

When researching for my book, I drove up your hill, I think, and knocked on some guy's door, a house high up on the top, looking into the ravine that once housed "The Tikis" (by then a public storage facility), and we talked briefly about the experience of being neighbours to that circus. That wasn't you, was it?

Well no, actually; I would've remembered that conversation. (Unless I was drinking Zombies!) I wonder which house that was you visited however; there are still weird little remnants of tiki culture there...well, just one, officially...there's a house on the corner of...Holly Oak Drive and something street...anyway they have this 2-ended driveway that arcs in front of the house. And right in front is a mound of earth with some bushes and cactusy-looking plants. There is a rough-hewn lava tiki living under those plants!!!!! It's been there since the late 60's at least. This tiki would watch over the neighborhood.

It is hidden now but back when another family used to live at this house, they would occasionally freshen the paint on the eyes and mouth of this thing. We used to call the tiki "Pele" whenever we walked by it.

I would feel weird knocking on that door and bothering those people, but I just might work up the nerve at some point.

Pages: 1 3 replies